PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum - it's great!

Dog_Truck
04-04-2002, 18:20
Hello all,
Have been lurking for awhile and am very impressed with this forum. Very knowledgeable and civil. smile.gif We are proud owners of a 2002 GMC 2500HD D/A and love this truck! Have about 10,000 kms on it now with no problems, no ticks, no lopey idle.

I have one question though....can hear the normal (or is it normal) "Allison whine" when driving, but when the truck gets to about 1800 to 2000 rpms, also hear a faint, high pitched whistling sound. Is this something to be concerned about? This truck is so quiet, it's too easy to notice things like this!

Thanks.

Rilo
04-04-2002, 18:49
Hello and Welcome. I have the whine but no whistle. It sounds like it may be the turbo.

mackin
04-04-2002, 19:47
Dog_Truck ,

Welcome, Is your wife's name ALLISON and you were driving to fast and did you hear the whine then? My wife's name is Gale and I hear a distinctive whine when I drive to fast...LOL smile.gif
Couldn't resist sorry....
Now did you get the ALLISON VHS tape with your truck? Standard equipment in 2002 in USA. My buddy got one in his. Mine didn't come with that option. :( It should explain the low speed whine if that's what you are hearing.You only hear it in 1 St. gear? As far as the whistle. You got good hearing I'm pretty sure its the turbo. I couldn't hear mine till I did some air box's mods..... Best of luck still enjoying mine. The novelty has not worn off yet
MAC :D :D

Dog_Truck
04-04-2002, 19:59
Ha, very funny! I am the wife! Seriously, my husband has graciously allowed me most of the use of this truck. :eek: I will let him have it back when we haul our trailer this summer.

If you say it's the turbo, is this just a normal thing? Have done no modifications to this truck.

MudNurI
04-04-2002, 20:07
Welcome aboard!! YEAH another chick that is in love with the Duramax!!! I thought I was the only one!

as for the turbo whine- thats what a turbo does, only I think they call it a "whistle".. I hear my very seldomly, but I don't pull anything, and hardly ever actually WORK the truck. If you have ever riden in a big rig- 18 wheeler, you will hear the same thing. Its your power!!

glad to hear you are impressed with the truck. I know I still am! 1 more day- and the weekend is here, and I can have it back! see I'm not as lucky as you, I let John drive it during the week.

Brandy :D

Dog_Truck
04-04-2002, 20:35
That is exactly what it sounds like - a whistle. Great to hear that is normal. (Maybe most men don't hear it because women can actually hear higher tones - men tune them out :D ) This truck has been perfect from day one!

My John is stuck with the gas half-ton which has been a great truck for us. '94 GMC 1500 with 313,000 kms on it. The new truck is set up totally for dog training and that's what I do most of in our family.

Sharon

Vette Racer
04-04-2002, 21:23
Dog_Truck, I think it may be a woman thing. I have a 3500 D/A and I don't hear any whine. Course my wife always tells me that I can't hear anything anyway.

INDI-GO
04-04-2002, 22:39
Haven't you gals ever heard of SELECTIVE HEARING?

Wife says I have it bad! :D :D :eek:

SoCalDMAX
04-05-2002, 00:24
The Allison can produce a little whine under certain conditions, especially when cold. It's a very heavy duty tranny and the pump is high output, thus the noise. The truck is so quiet is the only reason you even hear it. The high pitched whistle is definitely the turbo, with a boost gauge you can see that it happens mostly when passing thru about 4psi of boost.

Women and asthamtics have more acute hearing, men without asthma, especially married men, have the worst hearing loss at the higher frequencies. This is well documented, especially among marriage counselors. ;)

"YEAH another chick that is in love with the Duramax!!!"
I'm glad Brandy said that, if one of us guys said that, we'd never see the end of it... :D :D

This reminds me of the time Brandy called the dealer and told him she'd be down there to pick up her bra... perhaps she'd better finish the story... ;)

Regards, Steve

Calgary
04-05-2002, 01:02
Welcome aboard Dog_Truck. I'm pleased to hear you're enjoying your D/Max. Our dealer advises our 3500 should arrive on the 8th. Looking forward to that.

MudNurI
04-05-2002, 05:26
SoCal you are just too much!!!!

Sharon you will this the most "chick friendly" MANLY message board on the entire web! first I was a bit nervous, being a member of another "chevy" website, with a lot of the "good ol boys" on it, I was leary of this one, Every time I have posted, either a question or a half-wit comment, the guys have been very reasuring.

the best part about this page, WAIT until there is something fishy with your truck, and you post about it here, then tell your husband that "the Hydro Booster is no good"... he takes it to the dealer and the service guy says "the hydro booster is no good".... pretty funny when they have to come home and tell you YOU were right! mmuuuhhhahahahaha!

again welcome aboard, and the Bra story- well did your's come with the winter cover? If not call your dealer, let them know your on your way down to get your "bra".... use the imagination from there...

Brandy :D

Dog_Truck
04-05-2002, 07:16
Calgary,
I bet you can't wait for your truck! We waited 7 months for ours, it was tough. You are going to love it. Every time you drive it, it's hard to wipe the grin off your face :D It's nice to start seeing more of them on the road now.

Brandy I agree with you about the board. Have seen a couple others and I wouldn't want to post on them. Yes, we did get our winter cover and we have certainly needed it! It will be great when we can take it off for good.

Thanks again guys,
Sharon

mackin
04-05-2002, 19:15
SoCalDMAX ,

Dude you are to much .. Funny that is........

Dog Truck,

Sorry let me rephrase perhaps your Hubby is whining when you are driving to fast in that case make him ride in the back way in the back.... You GAL'S are
experiencing what us GUY'S live and breath for among other things like the most manicured lawn in the neighbor hood. In my little world I tell my wife don't mess with my truck and I wont mess with "YOUR " sink full of dishes or that pile of dirty laundry......... No, you cannot drive it........ Just kidding if she seen this she would kick my A**. Or better yet shut me off...... It's all in fun and we welcome all you LADY'S....... Stop tricking us with your generic Diesel Page names so we will not get in trouble......... There is a Duramaxdiva here she made it simple for us try and realize at what your dealing with here the majority is a bunch of Diesel sniffing guys we need HELP or at least I do LOL.........
MAC
: D: D: D :D :D :D

Dog_Truck
04-06-2002, 13:02
mackin,
Well, I might try to put him in one of the dog holes, but as you can see, it would be a tight fit!!!
http://www.cadvision.com/vanderlj/new_truck.html :D :D :D

I think you diesel sniffin guys are great and very patient with us newbies.

Sharon

mackin
04-06-2002, 16:58
Sharon

You arn't kidding about that.............That would be a serious squeeze.LOL :D :D

Calgary
04-06-2002, 17:02
I'm thinkin the same - nice truck but tooooo tight of a fit to stick the poor man into one of those holes.

Dog_Truck
04-06-2002, 20:25
Hey Calgary,
Does your signature mean you have your truck??? Awesome! I bet you are happy.
Sharon

westies
04-06-2002, 22:11
Calgary..........Picked up the new truck Friday and went to Kelowna for the boards but they would not fit so had a nice trip. Think I will put on the Putco 4" tubes. I was really impressed with the new truck. It was a nice breakin trip and happy with the 21MPG (Canadian Gallon). I really missed the sacred window rattle, the turn signals that would not hold, the seat belt retractors that either tried to strangle you or hang out the door and the bouncy ride of the ole truck. I know they were sacred cause techs could not find cure for them either. Really impressed and now get to pull weekend from next. Hitch going in next weekend so going to Kelowna folloing and will be towing over the Nancy Greene Skyway. That is the same pass my old truck could hardly make in one try without over heating the tranny.

Maverick
04-06-2002, 22:23
Calgary,
Where is the Goertzen trailer mfg. plant? I think its in your area somewhere. After the rendezous I have to pick up a load of trailers with my new 51' Take 3, triple axle, auto/trailer hauler and take them back up to Fairbanks, Alaska. :D

Calgary
04-06-2002, 22:41
Dog_Truck
I placed the order for my new truck on February 15. It was built on March 25, shipped on April 01 and will arrive Calgary April 08 - will pick it up from the dealer sometime during that week.
I'm certainly pleased with it's delivery time - now just to make certain it has all of it's fingers and toes.

Thanx to Pontiac_18 for his help in tracking it.

Westies
Sorry about your RB's - I've sent you a note about DeeZee's. Glad to hear the 3500 pulls the way you like it. Bearman took his Avion for a ride yesterday and reports much happiness with the pulling capability.

Calgary
04-06-2002, 22:55
Maverick

I believe that Goertzen Trailer Mfg. is in Airdrie, just ten miles north of Calgary on #2 Hwy. It's a small community of about 10,000.

Coming from the rendevous, you'll likely come in to Calgary on the TransCanada Hwy (#1) through Banff National Park. One of the easier ways to get to Airdrie is to take Country Hill Blvd. at the Westerly edge of Calgary across to Hwy. 2 North.

Country Hills Blvd. runs about a half mile from my home. Stop for a cold one! smile.gif