PDA

View Full Version : Magnuson-Moss Help

madmax7
04-04-2002, 22:36
I am sure this may have been covered, but as a service to our brothers who have moved on to greater horse power, I submit the following resource:

A dealer must prove, not just say, that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

If you feel you are being unfairly treated, there is recourse: The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty law. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202)-326-3128.

Hold on to this info for future reference.
If this is redundant, I apologize in advance. :cool:

More Power
04-05-2002, 11:06
Those of us who modify our trucks should accept some measure of responsibility if our truck breaks. We've all heard the stories of "fuel-in-oil" problems, that in many cases coincided with the installation of a "box" that increased fuel-rail pressure.

Removing a box or attempting to return a truck to stock configuration, to avoid a warranty denial, treads on the "F" word.

That said, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act was designed more to protect the aftermarket than consumers. In a study I read a couple years ago, approximately 90% of all claims that went either to court or arbitration were decided in the vehicle manufacturer's favor. It is very hard to convince a court that a "product" did not (in some way) contribute to a warranty claim.

My suggestion is to pay attention to bulletin boards like this one, and watch for potential problems that develop from using an aftermarket product. The Diesel Page does this, and we won't be involved in reviewing products that develop a history of complications. This doesn't mean a product reviewed by the DP won't ever cause a problem, but it does add another layer of protection.

MP

[ 04-05-2002: Message edited by: More Power ]</p>

madmax7
04-05-2002, 11:11
Point well taken....

mackin
04-05-2002, 17:45
More Power,

Well said,and you are correct.... But a good game of hide and seek never hurt anyone, well most of us.........Its a whole lot of fun with the right players or after market 'GOODIES" in our case..........
MAC :D :D