PDA

View Full Version : Need your help

afp
11-23-2003, 18:57
Could each of you reading this post go smell the front passenger side of your engine compartment when it is warm and tell me if you detect a very slight raw diesel smell? The best location is the right front grill area, and/or the forward part of the right wheel well opening.

Blaine

[ 11-23-2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

SPICER
11-23-2003, 19:58
I had a similar problem at one time. I found that one of the injectors was leaking and had the dealer torque it properly. After that time it did not come back. Look at the fuel lines(copper?) where they enter the top of the valve cover (on the top of the engine). There is a nut with a hole in the middle where the fuel line enters, eight total obviously. I could see the diesel fuel pooling where the line fed through the nut. The fuel never spilled out, just pooled. This was the source of my diesel smell. Another possible place that I have seen it is on the water drain nipple on the bottom of the fuel filter. Reach your hand in and feel if the drain is wet. Hope this helps....SPICER

sonofagun
11-24-2003, 11:55
afp,

Also check your fuel filter both top and bottom for fuel. It would smell stronger by the wheel well obviously.

Good Luck,
Bob

afp
11-24-2003, 17:46
Thanks guys. Every part of my fuel filter system--including the factory filter and the Mega--is bone dry. The smell seems like it's coming from around the EDU--maybe the injector that's under the EDU?

Blaine

sonofagun
11-25-2003, 08:39
Blaine,

Have you checked for fuel in the engine oil?

Bob

BlackMax
11-25-2003, 09:54
Mine was leaking around the pump cover. The Tech said he sealed and retightened the cover and bolts. It was leaking just enough to smell but not enough to cause a mess.

afp
11-25-2003, 11:32
Yeah, I have checked the oil level many times and it has always been fine.. I think I'm going to have to suck-it-up and take it to the dealer. I found a dealer who doesn't care that I have an Amsoil air filter, but he says if they find the Mega caused the problem it could "cost" me. I do not see how the Mega could cause the problem. If the Mega is leaking, then I'll tell them to leave it alone. However, the Mega isn't leaking. I'm just not sure how much I can trust the dealer. I need to fond a Service in the San Antonio area that I can trust to not play games...........