PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start Questions????

Aggie '91
08-06-2003, 22:20
First Off, I hope this is in the right area . . .

I am looking to install a remote start system for my '03 w/allison. I do not really want/need an aftermarket alarm system, so I have been trying to find just a remote start.

Questions:
1) What type (brand name , etc) is the most popular/best one to use? With or without an alarm - looking for any type of input here!

2) How difficult is the install for an 03? I am pretty good with my hands, but some times Murphy like to say Hi to me thru an electrical system!

3) What is the average "range" for use? I have see up to 900 - 1000ft. If the remote start will work at 700 - 900ft, that would be great! Can I expect that operating distance?

Any input appreciated!

Thanx,
Aggie91

Jeep Puller
08-06-2003, 22:32
Leave your Pit Bull in the truck all night, do you?
My remote also has an alarm so I can't speak to a pure remote start, but my effective range seems to be the 1300 feet the dealer stated (1320 feet is a quarter mile!). I belive the trick to getting good range is placement of the antenna where it has good "visibility" from all directions. Mine is pointed down the windshield directly beneath the rearview mirror. I've seen plenty mounted on one side up against the A pillar, but this seems to shield the antenna from a pretty wide angle.

AlanL
08-07-2003, 07:47
I can't remember the brand of the remote starter that I have on my '03, but I'm very happy with it. I'll look it up and post it.

The range is about 1500 feet and it integrates right into the factory harness/system with a few optional items.

The system wasn't cheap however, I think it was about $400 installed. In terms of installing it yourself, I wouldn't recommend it. If you find a good place that specializes in this stuff, the guys there will know what they're doing and better yet, have done an install into an '03 truck and made their mistakes on somebody else's truck.

-Al

DMAX Daddy
08-07-2003, 08:02
Please do Al, Im looking for one as well.

Max Power
08-07-2003, 08:20
Originally posted by Aggie '91:
First Off, I hope this is in the right area . . .

I am looking to install a remote start system for my '03 w/allison. I do not really want/need an aftermarket alarm system, so I have been trying to find just a remote start.

Questions:
1) What type (brand name , etc) is the most popular/best one to use? With or without an alarm - looking for any type of input here!

2) How difficult is the install for an 03? I am pretty good with my hands, but some times Murphy like to say Hi to me thru an electrical system!

3) What is the average "range" for use? I have see up to 900 - 1000ft. If the remote start will work at 700 - 900ft, that would be great! Can I expect that operating distance?

Any input appreciated!

Thanx,
Aggie91 1) Most installers recommend anything made by DEI (directed electronics) They make several brands including python, viper, avital. There website is www.directed.com (http://www.directed.com) Personally as an installer I prefer the astrostart brand. In my opinion they have the best product on the market hands down. There website is www.astroflex.com (http://www.astroflex.com) Unfortunately you are going to have a hard time finding them where you live as they are a canadian company. They do sell quite a bit into the US though.

2) As far as doing it yourself start here www.the12volt.com (http://www.the12volt.com) I think most should be able to manage with a basic understanding of electical. There are a couple complicated things on the 03's but recent technology helps this out alot. One, you have a passlock security system that needs to be bypassed. For this you can go to the website www.bypasskit.com (http://www.bypasskit.com) and have a product called the PL-DATA. This will bypass the passlock when you start with the remote start. It is a simple 4 wire installation and works through the data system of the truck instead of the old fashioned way of bypassing with resistors which can be a lot more trouble. The second thing is that with this truck they now use a data system to lock and unlock the doors. For this you can use a kit from the same place called a GMDL4. If you go with the astro start you want a module called the IM-HDT-1 this will also turn on your heated seats if you have.

3) Most starters average around 1000-1500ft. Some have ranges up to 3000ft. The astro starts are what I am most familiar with and they have a range of 2600ft. On their site it says 2000ft but they used to advertise 2600 and we have seen better then 3000ft in lots of cases.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I know my way around this stuff pretty well smile.gif

If you install yourself you can do this easily for under $200. installed you will be looking at anywhere from $300-500 or more. Find a shop that does lots of them and insist that their best installer does the work. There are lots of bad installers out there.

One other thing, if you do the work yourself make sure every wire is soldered! This goes for getting it done professionally as well. Make sure they solder wires. Some shops just twist and tape and some use solderless connectors. Neither of which are any good no matter what they tell you.

[ 08-07-2003, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: Max Power ]

tswartos
08-07-2003, 10:12
i had the astro starts in many of my vehicles when I lived in South Dakota and they worked excellent with great distance, came in handy when it was 10 below zero, they had a setting on them if it reached a certain temp the vehicle would start and run for xx minutes then cycle off. my 6.5 came with a clifford installed by a previous owner and im not impressed with their equipment or range. i've seen other models by other companies and for what u've described to do...look for the distance and expandability. my astros i could have a couple vehicles programed into one unit or other goodies but many of the other brands are not expandable. I paid between 120 and 200 dollars US for my astros installed but that was in the 90's

AlanL
08-07-2003, 11:20
I have the model 1500 and as I said, I'm happy with it.

http://www.ultrastarters.com/

Aggie '91
08-08-2003, 07:48
Thanx for all of the help! There is more usable info here than I have found in 2 weeks of web searches.

These responses have given me some good options, now I can narrow my choices down. smile.gif

If anyone can think of anything else, please share!

PDS

WillowCreekStable
08-08-2003, 12:46
Max Power - what part of Canada are you from? You know your stuff. Everyone I know who has had remote starts installed have had problems, some serious. Shoot me an e-mail willowcreekstble at aol dot com if you prefer.