PDA

View Full Version : Installing Guages ?

WayCoolKennel
07-11-2002, 10:28
How difficult are guages to install ?? (i.e. boost and egt )

Is there already a place for the probes ? Or do you have to drill and tap into the exhaust or manifold somwhere ?

Looking at the Autometer guages and also wondering if they can be mounted somewhere other than the driver side post.. maybe say below the power outlets.. btw.. anyone know what that piece is below the power outlets ? Is it just a cover.. ?

Thanks for help !!!

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 10:58
If you were to paint a dual gauge pillar pod, waiting for the paint to dry would be the time consuming part of the install.

Boost can be tapped off of the wastegate hose, under the intake resonator and running from turbo outlet to wastegate. Just install a "T" with barbs at two ends and appropriate threads for the probe.

EGT probe can be mounted (drilled and tapped) on PS manifold at rear cylinder exhaust port (see Hoot's photos for exact location) or on DS from bottom of manifold on rear cylinder.

Routing wires is personal preference, acc. power is avail at fuse panel on DS. The cover below the power outlets is just a cover, older models had a pull out cup holder there. It removes with 2 screws and is a great place to mount stuff, although I prefer to have my gauges close to IP or above.

Regards, Steve

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

CSDMAX
07-11-2002, 11:30
Hey WayCool,

The DP homepage had an informative article that explains what you need and installation of EGT and Boost gauges. Check out "Got Gauges" by Jim Bigley. There are also numerous threads posted about gauges. Check out the search function for "gauges".

WayCoolKennel
07-12-2002, 14:58
Great ! Thanks Steve !!

And the instructions are fantastic.. I think I can too this myself without too much trouble.. Only have a couple questions... I'm sure I can find the back of the exh manifold to tap for the EGT probe..

What I'm not sure of is which hose I will tap for the boost.. not having a working knowledge of a turbo charged engine... ????

Also,

I read through a bunch of posts about the guages and seems some got theirs from Jegs but for the life of me I cant find them on their website, much less the pillar for them... ??

I went into my local performance shop (small town.. so only ONE in town) and they were as helpful as they could be... but ended up giving me a quote for the ISSPRO gauges.. which I understand have a noise problem.. plus they are not real cheap the way it was quoted to me.. (Boost, Probe, EGT, connect kit, Thermocoupler, pillar) came out to like $300 .. is that reasonable.. I'd shop prices on the net.. if I could find the right parts to buy...

Any help on sources for the parts... and part #s would be appreciated... you dont' have to quote prices.. since obviously that's a big no no on this board..

Thanks again for all the help !

--Steve

CSDMAX
07-12-2002, 15:12
Hey WayCool Steve,

There are a number of gauges you can get out there for much less and some even more than $300.00. Send me an email and I will send a spreadsheet to you with various websites, gauges, and pricing on the web.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: CSDMAX ]</p>

WayCoolKennel
07-12-2002, 15:39
Got it !

THANKS DON !!!

--Steve