PDA

View Full Version : Power adders: Rate'm by how much they smoke

DMax_Doug
08-06-2003, 22:56
We've beaten them to death over HP claims, EGT's, and performance features. How about some opinions comparing the amount of black smoke produced at similar HP settings for the different power adders (Juice/Hot Juice, Predator, TST, even propane).

Personally I waited a year, reading the TDP forums, and ended up purchasing a Predator for tire size correction and to get moderate power gains. Although I'm happy overall, I'm dissapointed at how much black smoke billows out my tailpipe even on the 40HP setting. Here in California where tree-huggers abound, I've been reported on our infamous "smogger" hotline twice now in 3 months. My plans were to buy a regular Juice and set my Predator to 0 HP, but I will rethink this if I'll just be clouding up sky with tons of black smoke.

Doug

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-06-2003, 23:09
Don't let MAc find out, he likes it nice and smokey :eek:

Call him the Lugging King, so bad it is he needs a chimney brush tongue.gif tongue.gif .

Ask him how his bumper and rear dooley quarter panel is.....

I heard it got so bad one day the dude behind him had to put his headlights on tongue.gif :eek: :D

GMC

P.S. seriously though the Predator does smoke really good. Some like it some don't.

We don't have smoke police in CT yet.

king D
08-07-2003, 04:24
Originally posted by DMax_Doug:
We've beaten them to death over HP claims, EGT's, and performance features. How about some opinions comparing the amount of black smoke produced at similar HP settings for the different power adders (Juice/Hot Juice, Predator, TST, even propane).

Personally I waited a year, reading the TDP forums, and ended up purchasing a Predator for tire size correction and to get moderate power gains. Although I'm happy overall, I'm dissapointed at how much black smoke billows out my tailpipe even on the 40HP setting. Here in California where tree-huggers abound, I've been reported on our infamous "smogger" hotline twice now in 3 months. My plans were to buy a regular Juice and set my Predator to 0 HP, but I will rethink this if I'll just be clouding up sky with tons of black smoke.

Doug in my opinion the pred smoks about as mucha sany maybe more for hp considering.i have used the juice lower levels to tow and not aa lot of smoke also van aakens have low hp tunes that do little to no smoking.the new quadzilla tuner i have on the 70 hp tow tune doesnt smoke at all.....

502_Jimmy
08-07-2003, 06:14
I heard it got so bad one day the dude behind him had to put his headlights on Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

John

a64pilot
08-07-2003, 06:19
My TST did not smoke at all at any setting. I had the old tune though, it apparently waited until the boost started to build before it poured the fuel to it, hence no smoke. There was a slight delay before the power came on strong, acted like turbo lag, about 1 sec. at most. I have since had it reflashed to the competition tune and now there is smoke, but the power is almost immedate.
Call TST and speak to Greg, maybe he can still supply you with the old tune.

mackin
08-07-2003, 06:24
It can get messy ...... My rear quarter looks like Morton Downey JRs lungs did....

Mac http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

WillowCreekStable
08-07-2003, 06:30
I've heard there is a CA juice version that doesn't smoke. Doesn't fuel up until there is a bit of boost.

Idle_Chatter
08-07-2003, 07:30
I've got a "regular" Juice v4.61. My 2001 is non-cat, non-egr, non-Cali and I have installed a straight-thru Magnaflow muffler. I run it on level 4 most the the time and I don't recall ever seeing any smoke at all.

jesshd
08-07-2003, 07:34
I have tried the Juice CA tune and now have the Fed tune. I also have the Predator.

The Juice CA tune does not smoke. Maybe a whisper at the 90 hp setting. The Fed tune lays a small cloud until you get the boost up a bit. The 90 hp setting smokes a lot more than the lowest setting.

The Predator does smoke more on all settings than the Juice Fed tune.

Jess

TST Tech
08-07-2003, 09:07
Hey guys,
Our standard 140 program will not smoke. We spent a lot of time on research to achieve a good balance of air to fuel at lower boost pressures. We are in the process of getting it carb certified. Our standard 120 h.p. program is carb approved for the Dodge , so we think we can get it for the Duramax also. ;) Have a great day , Greg

Texas Red Wagon
08-07-2003, 09:44
Duramaximizer no smoke
Tech IV light smoke on 120 and more smoke on 170.
Dad always told me if don't it don't work. tongue.gif
Scott

Minn-kota
08-07-2003, 10:29
I was driving down a four-lane street the other day when a dmax pulled in behind me. I took a glance in the passenger mirror and saw a big cloud of black smoke as he pulled into traffic. When he got up beside me I noticed the guages on the pillar so he had something but not sure what was added to make it smoke.

Dang thing is, there was still dealer plates on the truck! He didn't wait long to give her the business.

I want some smoke too soon, and I'm hoping to get a little from the Stealth Performance programmer in the near future. Although I know smoke doesn't mean power, it sure looks good in my book.

Camstyn
08-07-2003, 11:18
Good thread, now for the important question.. How do I get my truck to belch as much soot and smoke as possible? :confused: :D

mackin
08-07-2003, 11:41
Originally posted by Camstyn:
Good thread, now for the important question.. How do I get my truck to belch as much soot and smoke as possible? :confused: :D Ready ????

////// // //
/////////////////
//////
//////
///
//////////
//

Shove a rag in your airbox ......

Bwahahahahahaha .....

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

Amianthus
08-07-2003, 13:42
Or buy a Dodge. :D

Mopar Show Dyno Run (http://amianthus.home.sprynet.com/aronmopar1.avi)

Mopar Show 1/4 mi. (http://amianthus.home.sprynet.com/aronmopar2.avi)

WhiteDuramax
08-07-2003, 16:14
You can have the best of both worlds with a Hot VA box, it puts out the most smoke I have seen out of a DMax without injectors, and puts out the least amount of smoke I have seen for 110hp setting, 90hp juice smokes more than my predator does in 100hp setting. I would go 110VA if you dont want smoke, but want the power.

CPMac632
08-07-2003, 16:30
The most smoke I have been able to make is with the TST comp and a pressure box stacked. But my big Van Aaken box stacked with a pressure box is a close second. On the other hand Van Aaken is getting their 70-110 box CARB certified.

GMCTRUCK
08-07-2003, 18:19
Try stacking Predator with TST Comp. Predator makes big smoke off idle then the TST takes over and keeps pouring it on. Can actually be embarassing. Can't be good for the engine oil though. :eek:

CPMac632
08-07-2003, 18:38
GMCTruck did the predator TST combo make any bigger hp or tq #'s than your sig shows, and what type of dyno was that on?

Kyle03D
08-07-2003, 18:41
also, How was the overall outcome of using the predator with the tst comp? Any problems? Thanks

Kyle

mackin
08-08-2003, 04:40
Hey Paper,

How about Toddsters 03 Egr Cat'ed Resonater,first version Tst Comp and Va ...... Now that was a Locomotive on a Mountain grade and then some ..... That poor jogger ......

Mac :eek: :eek: :eek:

GMCTRUCK
08-08-2003, 12:31
CPMac632, Never ran the TST and Predator stacked on the dyno. The #s in my sig were just TST level 7/9 on a Dynojet. Just recently started playing with the stack again. Tried it once before but gave up because of bursting at high levels. Now I'm experimenting with some lower settings. From seat of the pants the stack makes a good deal more power down low than the TST alone. Even with TST on level 3 and Predator on only 60hp it will burn 4th gear on a straight, dry, road on a hot day. If your truck has bursting issues they will show up at lower levels when stacked. Mac, this thing will smoke at least as much as Toddsters did. Again, can't be good for oil life. And yes, that poor shorty shorts wearing jogger. I think he dove into the bushes. ;)

mtomac
08-09-2003, 08:37
TST comp pulls hard and lays a smoke trail good enough to make cars behind move over into the other lane until the engine hits 3200 rpm in 5th gear at 110 mph, no bursting without a fuel pump either, but cruise doesn't work, it won't even turn on

Comp Juice pulls hard up to 110 and smokes at low boost and for a bit after but clears up, cruise still works too

I'll see which one is faster at the track tomorrow

Now I'm thinking twice about installing the fuel pump I have sitting here.

[ 08-09-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]