PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressure

Brucec
07-11-2002, 11:22
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS 4X4 Durmax

Anyone know what tire pressure I should have I guess MAX on rear.

Just had my 36 Foot 5th wheel weighed and was surprised at the pin weight. MFG states pin weight is 1360 actual weights are.

Front Axle with 5th------ 3880
Freont Axle with out 5th- 3880

Rear Axle with 5th--------- 5380
Rear Axle with out fifth--- 2640

Pin weight 2740 (ouch) but the dmax has no problem at all.

GVWR with 5th on truck 9260
CVWR allowed---------- 9200

So over all 60 pounds over.

So I guess my rear factory tires should be 80 pounds, what about the front??

Captain Mal
07-12-2002, 22:13
Brucec,

Looks like 2,740 pounds of pin weight. That's a lot. The company I haul for wanted me to haul one with 3,600 lbs. and I refused. The agreed they made the trailer wrong and then hired a "tractor" to transport it.

I have hauled 42 ft. ball trailers with tongue weights approaching 1,900 lbs. Darn customers have them built with generators and other tanks mounted on the tongue. They get heavy but tow well. Most trailers have tongue weights in the 6 to 900 lb. range when I weigh them.

I DO NOT have a dually. The rear two tires and suspension take the weight with no problem. I do use 1,000lb. equalizer bars for the heavier weights. For lighter tongue weights I skip the bars or use a 500lb set.

Always keep 80 lbs of pressure in both the front and rear tires. Often haul over 75mph in temps. to 100 degrees. Never had any problems and my factory Firestones lasted over 50,000 miles.

Second set of tires on the truck now and they look like they will do the same. When I return from the delivery there is no trailer. The ride is not harsh and the tires wear perfectly.

Just returned from South Dakota to Pennsylvania. Did 900+ miles today alone, got home in the daylight and have spent the last 3 hours goofing off. Speeds?????? CB, amps, front and rear lazer/radar units and 3 fuel tanks. Go figure. Use 80 lbs.

'01 GMC ext 2500 D/A 4x4

Dave
07-12-2002, 22:32
Seems to me your 5th wheel hitch is behind the rear axle or directly above it. A fith wheel hitch should be 2~3 inches forward of the rear axle. This distributs some weight to the front of the truck. It also makes for a smoother ride and more stable towing. For towing you should run all tires at max. Under inflated tires blow out easy and are no fun.

Never ever believe any RV dealer or maker about dry or unloaded weights. They only publish the weights of an striped unit with out A/C, microwave, awning, generator, propane, and such. It's kind of like max trailer weight given by truck makers. It's a number you only get in a stripped truck with no fuel and a 150 pound driver. Just info for sales use.

midwestdmax29
07-13-2002, 11:14
I'm assuming your truck is a short box since you have the slider. That makes it very difficult to run the hitch forward of the axle or your turning radius is going to suffer. It looks like you've got a very similar rig to mine (see the sig), and I found the same thing, the published weights are very conservative. Before the maxes, I pulled this trailer with a non-HD 6.0, not a good idea. I'm not sue on the pin weight, but the last time on the scale, I was just under 20,000 gross. I always run the tires at max PSI, and my truck handles this trailer very well, although I have debated a Roadmaster Active Suspension since I get some bouncing on rough roads. If you decide to tweak the torsion bars, don't crank them up to level or the nose will float. 1-2" of rake is good. Also, keep a close eye on the front corner of the trailer, it'll get to the rear window faster than you think. By the way, the c/c is better for towing than the ex/c was, it is just a bit more stable. -Happy R/Ving