PDA

View Full Version : Real Power?

Burner
08-07-2003, 00:57
Who's got what? We have boxes that range from 30HP to a claimed 225HP and then there are those that add Torque. Which is better or is it a mixture of both? :confused: Us folks that need the TQ numbers for pulling.... are we missing out? I say this because of the "Great debate" of the hill climb --> 8.1 GAS (340HP/450TQ) Vs. 6.6 DIESEL (300HP/520TQ). The O'le formula thing (?/5252) seems to arise. What is the real trick to adding power, useable everyday power? Do we go for the torque or HP? Which would be better; 275hp & 500 ft lbs @ 2,200 RPM or 325 hp & 450 ft lbs @ 2,200 RPM? What if you are drag racing, which is better? How about in a sled pull? Which method generates less heat or EGT's?

I'm dropping the Green Flag............. GO!

Burner------> :D

[ 08-07-2003, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Burner ]

Burner
08-07-2003, 01:05
-----
The "Power Producers"--------- Please chime in.

Thanks

Burner--------> :D

NWDmax
08-07-2003, 02:01
All I can tell you Burner is how well the Hot Juice on level 2 pulls my Lance camper and bass boat combo.
It allows me to go as fast as I want to with the limiting factor being my judgement and right foot.
Egt's rarely over 1200 deg pre turbo and the only mods are JK's 4" and opened up stock airbox.
Never limped the thing and I'm always on level 4 in non tow/haul mode.
I'm very happy with the current set up and would reccommend it to anyone. :D

a64pilot
08-07-2003, 06:36
Burner,
PLEASE don't get em going on the old HP/TQ debate. I believe that you'll find that one is a function of the other and you can't really improve one without the other by much without changing hard parts like cams, pistons, or valves, etc. JMHO and it's probably worth what it costs.

jesshd
08-07-2003, 07:41
Very simple answer. Torque is what makes for pulling power and acceleration. HP is what maintains the speed. It is always better for towing and acceleration to have more torque sooner. Of course, if you have a significantly lower difference in the hp, it will affect usable torque. The thing that you have to remember is that usable power is both a function of torque and hp. I would think that the better question would be how much can I get without running EGT though the roof or smoking the tranny. The REAL thing to look at for best all around performance is the area under the torque curve, meaning that you want the torque to peak as soon as possible and maintain for as long as possible. You could peak at 450 hp and 800 ft lbs, but if it does not occur until the last 1000 rpm, it is useless. If you get 750 ft lbs that comes on at 1000 RPM and holds to redline, it will walk all over the peaky tune.

Jess

a64pilot
08-07-2003, 08:26
So, basically be wary of manufactors that won't post a dyno chart? :D

Burner
08-07-2003, 15:34
Ok, who has the most "usable" power. Who has the "program" that will pull 10 to 15k all day long at or near WOT? I'm a power addict... yes it is true redface.gif but I need something that will not destroy the truck. Don't worry about the trans... it will be dealt with. And a program the "backs down" the power via~EGT is nice but not for this question.
--JUICE Seems to be the No. 1 answer on the 70-85 power level, so far.
--What about the QuadZilla? Could it do this?
--How about the VA? Can VA do this?

Burner--------> :D

WhiteDuramax
08-07-2003, 16:08
I've tried the VA 225, trust me it has power! Definately need a tranny to hold it though, major smoker!

Joe.G
08-07-2003, 17:26
Jess is correct, wish I could build a gas motor for my dragster that had a torque curve like the Dmax. The diesel has a lot higher torque curve than HP, the gas motor has a lot lower peak torque than HP curve, that is, the gasser peaks torque at 5600 rpms and HP peaks at 7100 RPM, this was measured on an engine dyno.