PDA

View Full Version : Stealer ?

sonofagun
11-24-2003, 12:04
Modirators may move this, didn't know exactly where to post it.

A recent post on "diesel not worth it" http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007051
drifted off into the topic of stealer or not. There were a few stongly worded statements against dealers and their employees in general. A few of our members who are or work for dealers responded. It got me to thinking that we often lump everyone into the same pot. My response is noted below:

GMC Dealer, Bartman and TXDMAX are the kind of guys I deal with on every GMC truck I have ever bought (6). I deal with the fleet manager and always have. He still makes a profit for the dealer and himself but I get a good deal (generally $200 - $300 over.)

I met the service manager when I bought my first truck. He is still there and we are good friends. He always greets me when he sees me, first name basis. I do little service work at the dealer as I do most of it myself. I ask the service manager who his best service writer is and work with him for appointments. If it's a big issue I copy the tsb or other stuff from this page and give it to the service manager to give to the tech who does the work I also leave one on the console. I do not trust the service writer to get the message to the tech. They come and go too often for me to get to know them.

I negotiate a parts price discount when I buy my trucks. It isn't as good as gmpartsdirect and others but when you add in the shipping it gets close. I fussed about the lack of body side moldings on my new '04 3500 (got a door ding first week) and got them from my dealer for $10 less the GMpartsdirect.

I recently got a GM extended warranty from TXDMAX. My dealer was not willing to meet his price (I didn't actually ask them -- because Blake had posted his offer on this page -- but a friend of mine did). I consider myself a relatively savvy buyer but I deal with honest folks. They deserve to make a living and I don't mind helping them do it. They also deserve to be credited for the good work they do. I have never felt poorly served by these guys. I have met a few folks at dealerships that I wouln't work with because they didn't measure up. I have even met a few general managers at dealerships I didn't like. Same with doctors and dentists.

I don't buy aftermarket parts for my truck from my dealer because they are overpriced as stated here. Those that chose to pay for them are too uninformed to know better (that's unfortunate) or too lazy to do the shopping required to find the best deals.

I have dealer traded a few cars but not for years. I take good care of my rigs and generally get the same price the dealer would get in a resale or a bit better. It takes time and effort. The Autotrader.com does wonders.

I can't help but feel that those who get gored are usually the ones who sound off the loudest. I don't mean to offend anyone here but my dealer would never fit the definition of "stealer". It seems obvious to me that those I mentioned above don't either. Spend some time setting up your support system, it works better.

We often tend to lump everything together and I see that as a flaw that we should work to correct. Each of us does something for a living that someone else can find fault with. That doesn't mean we are all to be counted among the bad guys.

My 2c,

Bob

Ned
11-24-2003, 12:34
Bob;
Good post. I agree with what you wrote.
Ned

MaxRock
11-24-2003, 13:34
son of a gun,

I live a little north of you and deal with a small country Chevy dealership. I have been dealing with them since '86 and they have been wonderful to work with.

I like driving a hand shaker and that relinquishes me to having to special order my trucks. The advantage to ordering is I can take my build list to a bunch of different dealers and have them quote on "exactly" the same vehicle. This little small town dealer will always give me the best deal in the Dallas area.

Their service dept is second to none (at least in my experience). I called them last week and stated my hydroboost was leaking. Before I bring in the truck, he is ordering the part so he can turn the truck in a day. That is service!!!

No matter what you are doing, you run into some good some bad, it's just a part of life.

MaxRock

Jomar
11-24-2003, 19:02
son of a gun :
I live in Boerne. Could you give me a hint as to which dealer your are talking about ?

Jomar

sonofagun
11-25-2003, 08:37
JOMAR,

The dealership is Park Pontiac/GMC, 210 490 2000. The fleet manager is Bill Van, the Service Manager that I work with is Scott Bradford. The General Manager is Tom Wright.

Bob

Jomar
11-25-2003, 19:11
son of a gun, Thanks for the info. I went in there looking for a new dmax back when the 01s first came out, but they didn`t have what I was looking for and at that time were not real sure how long it would take to get one. I wound up waiting and getting a 02 while I was on a trip thru Colo. Thanks again, good info.

Jomar

Scott Duprey
11-26-2003, 06:49
I would agree with your comment about grouping everyone in 1 lump. I think most would agree that the folks from dealers and service departments that appear on this site are a class act of great info.

However. I have YET to get the service I have needed for either of my duramax's. I have concluded that it is not possible and that the dealers that are local to me or within 1.5 hours drive time (each way) suck and inadequately trained.

There are 3 dealers within 20 minutes of Pigeon Michigan and none of them could find or sell me a 50k truck a year ago. 1 excuse after the other. I ended up buy my second d-max only when a friend passed a dealer 3 hours from my home in Saginaw Michigan. All the work was done over the phone and I didn't see the truck until I picked it up. Talk about trusting that friend. I since have called the same dealer looking for a van to puchase and never got a return call as promised by the sales person. The van was purchsed 3 hours away again from Midland Michigan. Again there are multiple dealers close by that were contacted for the sale and 1 excuse after the other.

I just had my truck in for service at a local dealer in Michigan for a vibration that I believe is drive train issues and the dealer wrote it off as tire problems. I since then did have the tires rotated and balanced. Oh guess what, vibration is still there. I also have a wind noise from the windsheild. Service tried to tell me it was from the bug deflector on the front. I told him bull and he refused to fix until the bug deflector was removed. They told me some turbo bracket was broken and that might also be the problem of vibration. Well that is fixed and I still have the vibration. Nice real nice to have a 50k truck with all the bells and whistles on it and have it vibrate down the road and whistle through the window.

Don't get me wrong. I love my truck and the only other option for me due to pulling is a FL50/FL60, or used class 8. Which will be my next truck. Heck might as well, my 1 ton's are starting to cost as much as a freightliner.

My point is not all dealers are stealers. But most are and need to get their crap together. Hey you're all charging huge amounts of money for this product the least you can do it have the sales folks attempt to get educated on what they sell. The sames story is told over and over here regarding GM sales and service. We know more then they do. I speak of my local experiences of course.

On 1 lease of a 454 dually crew cab the stealer in Pontiac Michigan they quoted me 700 for a payment. I knew what it should of been. I wrote on a piece of paper what I was whiling to pay and told them to give me a call. 20 minutes later they called and the payment was 200 lower. If I had not known what it should be they would of glady screwed me. Stealer, I think so. Service at the place sucked also. Same situation there. I had to take my truck to a dealer 50 miles from where I purchased it (Fenton Michigan) to get it serviced and then it was at least a week to 2 for services to be completed. Granted the truck sucked in all aspects, border line lemon.

I feel the need to say without the service people on this site giving info I would be screwed without them. They are greatly appreciated by me. It is just too bad that some bad ones have to hurt the good ones. Good sales people are hard to find and good, fast, reliable services departments are hard to find also.

I guess in order to get things done right in Michigan I will have to drive to Grand Rapids for service. There is a guy over there that has raised the bar for all service departments. Keep up the good work.

sonofagun
11-26-2003, 08:13
Scott,

You said: "Hey you're all charging huge amounts of money for this product the least you can do it have the sales folks attempt to get educated on what they sell."

I'm not connected to GM except as an owner. I agree with a lot of what you say but my point was that you (we, the owners of almost any product sold in the country today) must know what we are doing and who we are doing it with. That is why, as you say, this site is so valuable.

It's tough when there isn't a good dealership anywhere near you. I'm lucky that out of the 4 near me one has been really good.

As I noted I DON'T deal with the sales guy of the day or ANY of the service writers. I get to know someone in a higher position and befriend them. Good deeds and kind words work both ways.

Good luck,
Bob