PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Lppey Idle Fix?

thechevyhdman
04-05-2002, 14:40
I have a 2002 Dmax Ally and am bringing it back to the dealer next week for them to attempt to fix my lopey idle. We already tryed the updates(already done from factory). But how do I go about a real fix to it. It seems that my lopey idle is the same that plauged the 2001's but most of them were fixed with the updates. It only happens on my truck on cold start up till the engine temp reaches say 170. Does anyone know how to pin point this so I can go in and say fix this. I think it has to be a fuel delivery problem of some sort. It surges so bad the front end rises and falls at stop lights. I thought I read here to bitcch and moan about it being the injection pump, or I believe a fuel rail pressure regulator? I dont like to beat on a cold engine but it does seem to have serious power loss at low engine temps. And when it was new it seemed like it need to crank a little bit more than usual to get going. It doesnt bother me but Im young and 40,000 is alot of money for me to spend at the ripe old age of 23, I want this thing to last me forever, and I dont think that something like this should go unnoticed or unfixed by the dealer. Any advice would be great.

D-max Man
04-05-2002, 14:50
If it only lopes when cold, the software update should fix it.

If it lopes even when warm, have the dealer hook up the tech II and check the fuel rail pressure. It should be fairly level with gradual adjustments. If the pressure goes up sharply and then flattens out for a second then goes down sharply and flattens out then repeats this over and over, the Rail Pressure Control Valve (RPCV) may be sticking. If this is the case, the only acceptable repair is to replace the fuel pump. The RPCV is calibrated to the pump so if they only change the RPCV, it won't work properly.

You can not order the RPCV separately but some dealers have ordered a new pump and just swapped the switches to save time.

thechevyhdman
04-05-2002, 19:38
Hey Dmax Man thanks for the quick reply. As for the updates I went to the Gm calibration web site and typed in my VIN number and got all the program numbers. My friend who is service manager of a dealership did all the tech II stuff downlaoded the computer of my truck to tech 2 then hooked up to the computer in the shop, it showed that all the updates available for my VIN number we already installed. That was back in December or January. Is there any new updates etc that you can tell me to help expedite this process? Its not really annoying but I dont really think I can stand it for the next say 6 or 7 years.

Dawg
04-06-2002, 17:40
I took my '02 a couple weeks ago for the lopey idle on cold start up.(not severe, wouldn't make truck lurch) It developed the lope within the past 6 weeks. They checked my truck and found it had all the latest updates. The tech did a little more checking and installed an update. Problem fixed. I don't have the part number, I can probably get it. They did all this right in the parking lot and the entire thing took less than 30 minutes. smile.gif

Redhawk
04-06-2002, 17:53
thechevyhdman,

I think I was behind the door when the GM calibration web site address was given out. Mine lopes when cold, but so far no performace loss. I would appreciate having you post the address. Thanks.

Dawg
04-06-2002, 17:57
Try this,

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

imported_
04-06-2002, 21:44
I took my 01 in last week for the updates,and
it seems to have taken care of the lopey idle,
and the constant downshifting in cruise. They
also installed a new air box.

Diesel_D
04-07-2002, 21:17
My truck is only a week old and has 300 miles and i've got the lopey idle when cold, can this hurt anything? It dosent really bother me because it goes away soon as she warms up. Actually sounds kinda cool.