PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injectors Not Warrantied???

KompressorMan
07-11-2002, 15:23
Last week I was preparing my truck for a trip pulling a 28 footer from N.E. Georgia to Montana. As a precaution, I changed the fuel filter (second time) at 31,000 miles. One reason is I thought I felt the truck shudder or skip slightly, and didn't want any road troubles. Well everything went well until it got back to Kansas City and the S.E.S. light came on. Pulled into the local GMC dealer and he diagonosed the #3 injector failed. They didn't have one on the shelf but he said it wouldn't hurt to drive it in on seven cylinders.
Now, since waiting for 6 days for my local dealer to get one, he says that it's not under warranty because of contaminated fuel. He said the injector was full of dirt or trash.
Here's the question, since I change the filter every 15,000 miles, shouldn't the filter have caught the "trash" and shouldn't the water in fuel light have come on (if it was water)? Also, why didn't the other seven fail? I quit using fuel additive (Stanadyne) because I got to thinking that maybe I'm not letting the filter do it's job. HELP, I'm picking the truck up tomorrow and they say I'm responsible for the bill. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ford2chevy
07-11-2002, 16:06
There's no way in hell I would pay for the bill. Take this up the food chain at the dealership. Consult other dealerships to see what they say.

mackin
07-11-2002, 16:21
I would ditto the NO WAY IN HELL ...... Do you have the fuel filter receipts? Just to show them, but Regardless, I wouldn't pay........The fuel filter should very well catch the particles that would ruin an injector ...... I think it was dirty and sooted and they are barking up a tree like the are going to save GM some money and be a savior.....Take it up the chain like FordtoChevy said......

MAC

pullinpower
07-11-2002, 17:08
Man someone needs to make a payment on something from that shop :eek: and thought that would fly.

Breck
07-11-2002, 17:52
Out of curiosity, what does an injector go for? Or are they only sold in sets?

mechanicwillie
07-11-2002, 17:59
when i read your problem with the injectors that is a bunch of b/s.i did two duramaxs aprox two weeks ago put in 8 injectors 1 injection pump and two fuels rails in both trucks.these injectors were dirty and clogged.we phoned the tach center the dsm they told us they had problems with the pumps breaking down and crap gets into the injectors.one truck had 125000 kms and they warranty it with no ?.they say they cannot flush the fuel rails the type of material they are built from everything sticks inside and sometimes lets go and pluggs the injector.
i did a 2002 with 13000kms with a bad injector.i would phone gm because they are haveing some problems with injectors.
parts manger said we have sold 37 injectors scine the duramax has came out this is not dirty fuel.

mechanicwillie
07-11-2002, 18:04
one injector is 800.00
injection pump 1500.oo
lower valve cover gasket 52.00
these prices are in canada us is diff?

KompressorMan
07-11-2002, 18:06
Breck
Danged if I know. The service manager just told me today to bring my checkbook cuz they're not under warranty because of trash. On thinking about this more, say if the orifice in the injector is whatever, shouldn't the filter be about half what ever the smallest opening in the injector is? And what really PI$$E$ me off is I bought two Duramax's from them last year and WAS about to trade the 2500 for an 03.
Herb

KompressorMan
07-11-2002, 18:14
mechanicwillie
WHAT THE HELL IS THE EXCHANGE RATE, CANADIAN TO US. I'VE JUST HAD A MAJOR B. MOVEMENT
HERB

BROKERS
07-11-2002, 18:22
Multiply the CDN $______ x .62 =US $

odoh
07-11-2002, 18:52
Could your dealer have exceded the time standard allowed by GM and rather than butt heads w/them, feels it'd be easier to squeeze you? Just wondering. ~ odoh

mackin
07-11-2002, 20:22
mechanicwillie,

You the man ...... Do you do road service? ;) If you ever in the North East Let me know........

KompressorMan,

Do not pay....... No way dude,they are yanking your chain .....It is under warranty bumper to bumper is just that..... Not to mention the 100k on the D-MAX......

MAC

JoeyD
07-11-2002, 21:01
Pay by credit card and dispute the bill with GM.

rvforfun
07-11-2002, 21:39
WoW what B.S. no way make them prove you did not follow the owners manual on service!! If the dealer exceded the time on the repair thats their problem :rolleyes:

Raptorrider2001
07-11-2002, 21:54
I spoke with the service manager before I bought mine. He also said the injectors were not covered and was not really sure the lift pump was.

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 22:08
I had typed up a very strong reply, kind of a "this is how to do a "60 Minutes" style expose of this dirtbag service mgr".

My computer froze. Locked up solid. As I stared at the screen, I realized maybe it happened for a reason.

So here's my reasonable response. You can prove you changed the fuel filter. There's no way the truck will run without the fuel filter.

Either the crud passed thru the filter, in which case the problem is that GM selected an ineffective fuel filter.

Or the fuel system and pump are shedding crud, once again GM's fault for poor engineering.

Either way, it's absolutely their responsibility to fix it at their expense.

Here's another issue you might want to bring up, just to put him on the defensive.

If the ECM senses a certain level of vacuum (filter is clogged), a code is set, SES lights up and the truck immediately goes into limp mode and drops to 2,000rpm, no higher, with absolutely no warning. This is a major safety issue.

As happened to me and others, this can occur on a hill, somewhere there is no shoulder and we're stuck with a vehicle which cannot exceed 35mph and can't get off the road. One gentleman it happened to was towing uphill at the time and his speed dropped like a rock! Putting his family in extreme danger with traffic careening around them.

This fuel system wasn't completely thought out, in my book.

I hope that you get this straightened out, good luck.

Regards, Steve

odoh
07-11-2002, 22:13
Hmm, I'm starting to recall a discussion w/the dealer re the dmax warranty ~ seems like 'core' was the operative. Injectors were non-core(?) but still qualify under the basic bumper to bumper 36/36K. He had to call in another fella for help in explaining that. There is very few times in life to be a horses arse, IMO, this is one of them. ~ odoh

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

stretch
07-12-2002, 04:15
I'm with JoeyD, pay by credit card, dispute the payment and make sure that the owner of the dealership is aware of your previous purchases and pending purchase. I would think that if they give it some thought, they will change their mind about charging you. Then I would still go to another dealer.... unless they can the service manager for being STUPID !!!!! :cool:

ford2chevy
07-12-2002, 11:27
I'm not positive, but I thought I read where there were some people that had leaking injectors. These are part of the motor and should be covered under warrenty. Call some other dealerships around and speak with the service manager and ask about it, or call GM. Have them show you in the manual where is states 3/36 bumper to bumper warrenty (except fuel injectors)!

Zap
07-12-2002, 12:33
I agree that this is BS, and should be covered under warranty if you are under 36k/3yr. My local dealer repaired one and said it shouldn't be covered (again BS) but he got it covered. Allot depends on the dealer. I would pick the truck up but would refuse to pay; they can not keep the truck! You are the owner not them, if they refuse to give it to you it is theft, at least in PA. They can follow up civilly for payment. I would try every thing you can to follow through with GM, and if you are still making payments I would also get the bank involved, and for that amount I would consult with an attorney and your states attorney general.

KompressorMan
07-12-2002, 15:05
Well, It ain't gettin any better!!! The Asst. Service Manager called this morning to discuss this issue. He said not only is there dirt in the #3 injector, but the rest of them are dirty too. He said just to fix the #3, the parts and labor would be about $1100.00 (He told me exactly, but I didn't have a pen) He also said, what they found was fine dirt in the fuel. He said this dirt is so fine that it'll go right through the fuel filter and clog the injector. I let him talk on. His recommendation was to flush the tank and lines, and replace all the injectors...Total cost $6,200.00 (there again approx.) Then it was my turn, I said I had posted on this site and mine is not an isolated incident, others have been affected. I told him to call the DSM or his boss, who I know very well. He said his boss was out till Monday but the Ass. Ser. Man. would call me.
He did, but I elected not to take the call in lieu of making a visit. So the mechanic, a very knowledgable guy (but stuck in the middle) showed me the problem. NO WAY IN HELL DID THAT STUFF GO THROUGH THE FILTER. It had clogged the #3 and it was easy to see it is in the others too. This stuff looks like rust particles. Ok, if we aren't supposed to use an additive (void the warranty, the Water in Fuel light never came on, and the filter won't stop it... Beware to the rest of you. This ain't looking good. The Ass. Ser. Man. is adamant that this is not their fault.
Herb :mad: :confused: :mad:

mackin
07-12-2002, 19:17
KompressorMan,
==========================
Duramax Diesel Engine Coverage
The engine is covered by a five year or 100,000 mile (whichever comes first) limited warranty. A deductible per repair visit may apply after the vehicle has been in use for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for more information.

New Vehicle Limited Warranty
This warranty is for GM vehicles registered in the USA. See your Chevy Truck or GMC dealer for terms and conditions. GM's 3 year/36,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty covers repairs for all Chevy and GMC Trucks, including labor and parts (except normal maintenance), to correct any defects in material or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. See dealer for details.

What is covered for 3 years/36,000 miles (whichever comes first)

* The complete vehicle
* Tires
* Towing to your nearest Chevrolet or GMC dealership
* Cosmetic corrosion defects
* Rust-through corrosion (six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first)
* Repairs made to correct any vehicle defect
* No charge for most warranty repairs
================================

Now in order for them to deny warranty coverage you would have to be negligent........

Have they said you were?

In order for them to deny coverage for a replaced part (filter)it would have to be a non OEM replacement.....

Where did you get your filters from?

If you can successfully produce this, how could they deny coverage? If there filter design didn't stop a foreign matter how is it your fault? There is a 1,800 number in the owners manual to resolve these problems if satisfaction cannot be achieved at the dealer....

Don't pay, don't give in....... It's hog wash........ Talk to the owner of the dealer ship they can and well warranty this if they want your business......

MAC

KompressorMan
07-12-2002, 21:23
Mac
I bought the filter at the same GMC dealership that is denying the coverage. Yes they say it is negligence, well they haven't exactly said it, but they might as well because they are saying the fuel caused it. I still say most diesel is not much above crude anyway and they should protect their engine with the proper filter. I can tell you that the particulate I saw DID NOT GO through the filter. Thanks for your help. You know it's not helping that they rented a Ford Focus for me to drive while this is going on. The way it's going they'll probably say that's not covered either :mad:

odoh
07-12-2002, 22:02
Don't suppose you still have the old filter do you? Would be nice if pull comes to shove, to have it send out for failure analysis.

[ 07-12-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

Spoolin'It
07-12-2002, 23:59
I have a hard time believing the filter didn't do its job. Its manufactured by Racor who is very well regarded in diesel filtration, and also manufactures the Ford & Dodge filters. Our filter is a 2 micron filter since its a common rail application, most diesel final filters are 5 micron or higher so they would have to be some very small particles to get by considering a micron is smaller than the diameter of a piece of hair.
Even if you bought aftermarket filters they have to cover it or they have to provide the filters for free if only "their" filter will work. Gotta love the Magnuson-Moss Act. Besides all aftermarket filters for our trucks are manufactured by Racor (the OE supplier)with the other companies silk screen stamped on it since I'm sure its heavily patented considering its a totally new filter for them.
Anyway, I'd complain higher up(GM customer service, etc.) and DEMAND the regional rep be brought in to examine the situation and have him tell you whose fault it is!

Big O
07-13-2002, 03:05
My $.02--
1) I was told bumper to bumper warranty, no mention of excluding the injectors. Make them show you the exclusion!
2) As far as them still trying to have you pay--simply put YOUR key in YOUR truck and drive off. You can not steal your own vehicle. The bill is a CIVIL matter, not criminal. Let them sue if they desire and beat them in court.
3) Worst case scenerio--you can't get to the truck without paying. Give them a check. After you leave, stop payment on the check--perfectly legal.

csimo
07-13-2002, 08:33
I have a little different twist to this. Forget about the manufacturers warranty (even though this should be covered). Our trucks, even thought they're diesel, are covered by the Federal Emmisions Control Warranty. The fuel injectors are included in this warranty.

I would inform them that you are going to file a complaint with the EPA regarding their failure to honor the Federal Emmissions Warranty.

Here's a link to a page about it (may be wrapped):
http://www.aaacarolinas.com/Newsroom_new/magazine/MayJun02_Issues_FederalEmissions.htm

mackin
07-13-2002, 09:34
Not that I would be as frustrated and tempted but if you just drive off it's stealing ... They put parts and labor in so here come the cops...... Just pay check or credit card and stop payment ,(as suggested) let them take you to court....... This is what I would do, if they refuse to honor warranty,,,

Do you purchase your fuel from one station? Drag them to as a plaintiff, if it comes down to it, they have a responsibility to change there water separators and filters...... Also note while were on the subject, if you see a tanker at the filling station, drive on by...... When they fill the tanks it stirs up everything for a few hours,if you were not aware of this...... I had a problem with my 98 because of this.....Water in the fuel......
What would be the deal if it's discovered that it is algae?Sounds like it...... They won't allow us to use any additives to clear......They tie are hands then rake you over the coals...... Hope it turns out in your favor, dude .........

MAC

Big O
07-14-2002, 02:59
Trust me--in this type of deal, driving off without paying IS NOT stealing. It is strictly CIVIL, not CRIMINAL. My opinion would be warranty covers it--their opinion, warranty does not cover it. That is the reason for lawyers/court. IF there would be any criminal charges it should be on the dealer for THEFT BY FRAUD. But like I said, it is a CIVIL matter.

Idle_Chatter
07-14-2002, 06:32
Big O, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this dealer at all and think that it's absurd to try and claim that this is not warranteed work. But, driving it off is *NOT* a good idea! There's a clause in the fine print on nearly every automotive work order that invokes a "mechanic's lien." Basically, it says that THEY own your truck until services are paid and trying to take the truck prior to payment is theft and you'll get it stuck to you! Pay and contest or just contest, but you'll not help the situation by trying to take the truck.

hapaschold
07-14-2002, 07:14
wow!, 6,500 for a set of injectors? holly c**p, i hope you get things worked out with dealer. use caution when expecting your credit card company to back you up, found that most visa/mastercards not to good, if you have amex, use that one. they handle disputs better imo. i would really try to settle with dealer before picking up truck thou.

i wonder if there is a problem with the type of materials used in the fuel system, maybe not compatable with the fuel or fuel additives for winter diesel ??

when i changed my fuel filter, found the orange/brown stuff others speak of around here,

also water in the bowl, but light never came on, maybe wasnt enough,

have since changed where i buy diesel from, i get it from local home heating oil dealer, has large turn over, this is the only place i buy from , will see if any difference on next filter change. lots of local tow companys and supply warehouses buy their diesel from him. he told me he doesnt put the winter additives in.

good luck, i hope things work out in your favor.

hapaschold

BobNelson
07-14-2002, 08:53
This is an issue that could impact all of us. If one dealer gets away with this, then others may follow suit. I plan to print this thread and then show / talk to my local dealer / service manager on Monday.

While I have been trouble free, I want to stay that way. This is a lot of $$ for a "minor" problem.

Please keep us informed of progress, or lack of it.

CSDMAX
07-14-2002, 10:37
As per csimo the fuel injectors ARE covered by the FECW. I reviewed the warranty/service contact found at https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/chevrolet/warcon?vehid=112105&actionpage=5_7
If you want to review the warranty/service contract you will need to setup a login for your vehicle.

Sorry, it is a little long but here are some excerpts from the warranty....upon review of the Federal Emission Control Warranty section, page 20,
"Emission Performance Warranty - Some states and/or local jurisdictions have established periodic vehicle Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) programs to encourage proper maintenance of your vehicle. If an EPA-approved I/M program is required in your area you may also be eligible for Emission Performance Warranty coverage when all of the following three conditions are met:
 The vehicle has been maintained and operated in
accordance with the instructions for proper
maintenance and use set forth in the owner’s manual or maintenance schedule supplied with your vehicle.
 The vehicle fails an EPA-approved I/M test during the emission warranty period.
 The failure results, or will result, in the owner of the vehicle having to bear a penalty or other sanctions (including the denial of the right to use the vehicle) under local, state, or federal law.
If all these conditions are met, GM warrants that your dealer will replace, repair, or adjust to GM specifications, at no charge to you, any of the parts listed on pages 23 through 27 which may be necessary to cause your vehicle to conform to the applicable emission standards.
Non-GM parts labeled “Certified to EPA Standards” are covered by the Emission Performance Warranty."

"Emission Warranty Parts List - The parts that may affect your vehicle’s emissions are on the following pages. These emission parts are covered under emission warranties as follows:
 Federal coverage– refer to page 19.
 California coverage– refer to page 20.
NOTE: Certain parts may be covered beyond these
warranties if shown with asterisk(s) as follows:
 (*) 7 years/70,000 miles, whichever comes first,
California emission coverage.
 (**) 8 years/80,000 miles, whichever comes first, Federal emission coverage.
On page 24, Fuel Management System
Common Rail Assembly (6.6L Duramax Diesel)*
Diesel Fuel Injection Pump*
Diesel Fuel Injection Pump Timing Adjust
Diesel Fuel Injector Control Module – EDU
(6.6L Duramax Diesel)*
Diesel Fuel Temperature Sensor
Direct Fuel Injector Assembly
(6.6L Duramax Diesel)*
Function Block (6.6L Duramax Diesel)*
Indirect Fuel Injector Assembly (6.5L Diesel)
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Rail Assembly*"

mackin
07-14-2002, 11:01
Don

Great post ........
Thanks,

MAC

DucksnDiesel
07-14-2002, 11:20
If CSDAMX's post doesn't make this site worth the cost, nothing ever will. Great post and thanks for the info.

2K2AD
07-14-2002, 18:56
You don't even have to get into the Fed Emissions part of the warranty - this is right out of the book:

6.5L Diesel Engine and 6.6L Duramax
Diesel Engine Components
The complete engine assembly, including turbocharger components, is covered for defects in material or workmanship for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. No deductible applies during this coverage period. The engine parts listed below continue to be covered (subject to a $100 deductible) for 5 years or
100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
- Cylinder block and heads and all internal parts,
intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gears, timing
gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic
balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, water
pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, seals and gaskets.
- Diesel Fuel Metering System: injection pump, nozzles, high pressure lines and high pressure sealing devices.
- Glow Plug Control System: control/glow plug
assembly, glow plugs, cold advance relay, and ECM.

Don't forget to mention this as well (also from the book):

Warranty Coverage — Extensions
Time Extensions: The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
will be extended one day for each day beyond the first 24 hour period in which your vehicle is at an authorized dealer facility for warranty service. You may be asked to show the repair orders to verify the period of time the warranty is to be extended. Your extension rights may vary depending on state law.

Good luck!
Kevin

WKener
07-14-2002, 20:28
This kind of treatment from a service department is absolutely unacceptable. I have been through this fight before, several times with my local Chevy dealer (for a Camaro SS), and once with a Dodge dealer, resulting in them buying the truck back from me (5.9 gasser). It has become painfully obvious that service managers and assistant managers really could not care less about you, the customer, because they will have a job tomorrow wether you are satisfied with their work or not.

I would imagine that if the next time you spoke with the service rep, you were to request the number of his regional supervisor, he may think a little harder about denying your warranty claim. Better yet, get the supervisor's number from your service guy, letting him know that your intent is to involve the 3 of you in a conference call of some sort in order to work this out.

Make sure your service guy is aware that you will be prepared for the conference with plenty of info as to why you are lawfully entitled to the warranty work: everything from knowledge of the Magnusson Moss Act, to the info that Mackin, CSDMAX, and 2K2AD have posted (including any info you can produce about your lack of negligence in maintaining your truck). Letting him know that you really mean business may be all it takes to change his mind (and you may not have to even talk to the regional supervisor).

I would also have to disagree with the idea of simply taking the truck from the dealer, it would just give them more reason to fight you. I would recommend solving the issue before you even head that direction to pick it up (disputing through your credit card will also be a pain in the ***).

Just remember, taking advantage of people is what a service department does best sometimes... Whatever you do, don't let them take advantage of you. You DO NOT have to put up with this.

Good luck,
Wes

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: WKener ]</p>

Big O
07-14-2002, 21:49
Idle_Chatter
I guess I should QUALIFY my earlier statement. What you stated MAY be correct in Md., Fla., or some other states. But in La. you can NOT be charge for theft of your own vehicle. As for the 'mechanics lein's it is the same as ANY lien-i.e. CIVIL--not criminal. YOU CAN NOT BE CHARGED(ARRESTED)FOR CIVIL DISPUTES, at least not in Louisiana, and I don't think you can anywhere else in America. The mechanic's lein only will 'hold up' as long as they actually have your vehicle. After you drive off with YOUR vehicle, their only means of forcing payment would be a civil suit. I would take my warranty and see them in court. :D

KompressorMan
07-15-2002, 15:27
I just got back from Jim Hardman GMC and talking to the Service Manager. My truck will supposedly be ready this coming Friday. The service manager said he called and found out there have been isolated problems with clogged injectors. They are going to replace the four on the right bank free. He said this is a one time deal and if it happens again it's on me. The service manager said the higher ups are aware of this and it has been dirt that caused the problem.
I also talked to the mechanic. He said he called TAC and found out that there is a problem with rusting in a certain part of the injection system and to replace the injectors. Kind of two different stories. I believe the technician. Anyway, after two long weeks driving a rental Ford Focus, my truck will be back on Friday.
Thanks to all of you that have joined my plight to get this corrected.
Herb

Raptorrider2001
07-15-2002, 17:47
Does this mean you are having to pay for the other 4 injectors or are you just replacing the 4 on the right bank? I would like to see you post all the info they told you on the isolated problems and the rust so I can file it for further use. Thanks

mulerose
07-15-2002, 18:57
For what it's worth, when they were trying to fix my lopy idle, they replaced 2 injectors for me at no charge, didn't help but when they changed the pump the problem was solved.

Dietz
07-15-2002, 22:18
I'll throw in my $.02 worth. I had #8 injector replaced at 2500 miles. When the tech. was testing my truck he sayed he had just replaced #8 injector on another truck and that the injector had some rust on it. My truck seemed to run fine but had a knock-tick at idle at operating temp. After replacement of injector my truck sounded fine. Now at 4000 miles it is making same noise. I called service advisor and requested that he make appointment to replace another injector and that my truck was again making the same noise. He scheduled me for next Monday. I told him I would run the truck by when in the area when it was making the noise so the the tech. could listen to it. There has been no mention of me paying anything and I trust that there won't.

Dietz

odoh
07-15-2002, 22:30
Dietz ~ Are you using any additives? ~ odoh

Dietz
07-16-2002, 00:22
odoh-- Nope, no additives.

Dietz

ford2chevy
07-16-2002, 12:39
If there is a known problem with the injectors, is there a recall on them?

ford2chevy
07-16-2002, 12:44
The only problem I had is my foglight blew out (Literally) while washing my truck with a hose. The plastic cracked and the casing and everything came out. They told me is wasn't under warrenty and they wanted $170 to replace it. I never drove over anything or hit anything either. Off the subject but I figured it would fall in the 3/36? It is bumper to bumper.

mackin
07-16-2002, 14:29
ford2chevy,

It should have as far as I'm concerned ....... Should have stuck it to them ...... Since when is it negligent to wash your truck .....?

MAC :D

KompressorMan
07-17-2002, 15:14
Hopefully this is over!!! I put my truck in the shop on July 5th. and get it back today. They paid for replacing the four injectors on the right bank. I talked to the Service Manager and he said if it happens again, it will be a judgement call at that time. What he admitted to being afraid of is this. When they return the injectors to GM, after inspection, they can be charged back if GM doesn't feel it was their fault. I told him that I'm going to take a fuel sample periodically and also save the filter. I will have the fuel tested for particulate so if at a future time they come back with the dirty fuel idea, we can have data to either support or deny the claim. smile.gif
Herb

mackin
07-17-2002, 15:48
KompressorMan ,

I'm glad to here it was resolved in your favor and no further action had to be takin...... Don't sweat the if it happens again BS..... More smoke.........Like they would pay for anything ......

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

KompressorMan
07-17-2002, 16:52
Hey Mac,
Since my truck spent it's birthday in the hospital, do you think I should give it some "juice" to speed the recovery?
Herb :D

mackin
07-17-2002, 19:17
Herb,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IT IS !!!!!!!!!!!! I would pour your truck a smooth "90 PROOF" shot of "JUICE" in celebration in a heartbeat,,,,,, Hey don't forget yourself you've been through enough too in the last few weeks.......AH SALUTE !!!!!!!!

MAC smile.gif

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

MudNurI
07-17-2002, 19:32
I had my grill replaced at 25,000 - somewhere near there, miles...the emblem was peeling pretty bad.

Also had new 4x4 stickers for my rear quarter panels at about 18,000 miles.

didn't cost me anything...but I didn't tell them I hit both stickers, and the emblem with our commercial power washer..ooppss..

Brandy

SoCalDMAX
07-17-2002, 21:36
KompressorMan,

I'd definitely suggest the Juice as an appropriate birthday present! The widened pulse width should help allow junk to pass thru rather than clogging the injectors. ;) (If that ain't rationalizing, I don't know what is!)

Another good thing to come of this, somebody over at the Ford-Diesel site read this thread and they were all just as indignant as we were at the dealer's behavior. The bottom line: a lot of them wished you well and hoped it worked out for the best!

Talk about diesel brothers under the skin. :D

Regards, Steve

Dietz
07-23-2002, 16:15
I had another injector replaced yesterday. This time #3 injector was bad. Dealer sayed it had some rust on it just like when they replaced #8 a while back. Two injectors in 4500 miles. Wonder whats up with that?

Dietz

odoh
07-25-2002, 09:57
FWIW ~ Noticed the neighboring rancher driving his ol'brown '59 GMC. So I chkd and found out his '01 silverado duramax was in for injector replacement. Experienced a popping sound and had it towed to the local GMC dealer for service under his extended warranty. First contact was clear its "not your fault, we've seen this before". Getting all changed out due to fine rust. Has 45K on it and plans on trade in @ about 85K. His fuel source is bulk delivered to the ranch in his above ground tank. All his servicing was by the dealer. ~ odoh

CSDMAX
07-25-2002, 10:51
Dietz,

We should hook up and talk trucks. Where are you having your service performed? Just curious as I am up on the north end and have Al Serra handle servicing but they have not had too many Duramaxes to deal with. Send me your email and we can talk offline.

Rgds,

Don

opiekelly
07-25-2002, 17:11
Dietz and CSDMAX, I am in the Springs as well and the Diesel mechanic at Team said he has seen several injectors that look like they have rust. I may have bad ones as well.

Opiekelly@hotmail.com if you wanna chat.

Dietz
07-25-2002, 21:01
opiekelly and CSDMAX

Interesting info from tech at Team. Tech at Al Serra told me he has done one other truck with rusty injctor. My cell # is 499-2321. Give me a call if you like. Maybe we can get together and talk trucks and gripe obout the weather. Come on rain.

Dietz aka Kevin

Dimsdale
09-08-2002, 21:31
Just a thought: tell them that you want all the parts that were replaced, especially the injectors. You may want to pursue this further regardless of how the dealership finally "saw the light." You are entitled to all parts replaced on your vehicle. Keeps the dealership from "losing" them if there are contested issues down the road.

I have a bad feeling that this may not be the last of this issue if the filters aren't taking this crud out of the fuel, or if there is some "fallout" from the common rail system. Subsequent analysis of the crud in the injectors may reveal the true culprit.

My question is: how could crud from the fuel or filter go to only one side of the engine? Wouldn't all the injectors be similarly trashed? I would think this would be even more true with a common rail system. If four injectors, all on the same side of the engine are fouled, then there must be an issue other than fuel that is responsible. There is no other way to logically argue that dirt from a common fuel source would only go to one side of the engine!

The worst insult is having to drive that puny little focus though. As if you aren't being punished enough!!!

Hope everything turns out well.