PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone Dynoed the Predator

Bush Pilot
04-26-2003, 20:28
Has anyone dynoed the predator yet? Has James come up with any information? I read a post earlier that he was trying to get the info.

c5dura
04-27-2003, 06:00
For some reason, this is proving to be an incredible difficult task. Apparently, most dynos out there are the kind where you see how quickly you can accelerate a large drum of known mass, and diesel engines prefer constant load type dynos. To really do it right, you also need a tech 2 to lock the transmission into 4th gear (unless you got the 6 speed).

I believe sdaver is planning to run the Predator, but is having issues locating a dyno that provides reliable results.

I'm sure Diablo have the resources to properly dyno a diesel engine, but perhaps the results are not yet meeting their target specs?

pinehill
04-27-2003, 09:55
I'm betting that c5dura has it nailed.

Sincerely,

pinehill

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

RWTD
04-27-2003, 10:13
&gt; I'm sure Diablo have the resources to properly
&gt; dyno a diesel engine, but perhaps the results
&gt; are not yet meeting their target specs?

The Predator does meet DiabloSport's target specs of claimed power. Granatelli Motorsports, who works closely with DiabloSport as well, gained 39 rwhp on the 40 setting, 67 rwhp on the 65 setting, 83 rwhp on the 85 setting, and "right at around 97 rwhp" on the 100 setting with over 230 rear wheel torque gain. This came directly to me from J.R. Granatelli himself. They tested this themselves. I also know of another dyno test that comes very close to the same gains.

Also, DiabloSport also uses a Superflow dyno with a Double Eddy Current System, which is a load cell dyno. The Predator's rated #'s are right on with what their machine states.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Hound
04-27-2003, 10:46
Thanks James,

I guess one of the main concerns among the potential Predator buyers would be where in the RPM range are these HP and torque numbers being made? Think Hypertech, I am NOT buying one of them because of where it makes it's HP and torque. That's one of the things making me think that the Juice is the one to go with since Edge shows you where they make these numbers. It's kind of disappointing that DiabloSport isn't providing much documentation on the real performance of their product as it is a VERY interesting product. smile.gif

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: Hound ]</p>

Nixter
04-27-2003, 11:04
I think c5dura is right. A friend of mine owns 1 of only a couple of dynos in Alaska. I asked him about running my truck and he said that diesel dynos are different, rare and expensive. I think I will buy a predator if it builds tourqe quickly, and produces horsepower as advertised, and doesn't exhibit remarkably higher EGT's than competing desighns. That puts me in "wait and see mode" like some others here. --Nick :rolleyes:

Bush Pilot
04-27-2003, 11:06
I think Hound hit the nail on the head. I own a predator and to date am happy with it. However, where that horse power and torque is achived is something I want to know. I find it very unusual that they are so secretive while rest of the chip world puts their information out to review. Hopefully some one is going come up with these numbers. My speculation is that while it does generate the numbers advertised it is simular to the hyper-tech. IMO

James does give good service, I have enjoyed doing business with him.

ski
04-27-2003, 11:26
I won't pretend to know much about dynos, but 2003 owners would the 4th gear lockout work ? When I have that engaged, it will not get to fifth.

Marc

dmaxalliTech
04-27-2003, 12:43
I have two views to this dyno bit. First, I do agree that a dyno sheet is important to sell the product, it helps dispell doubts on a product, but can also hurt a product, how many people out there would have bought a hypertech for a tick of 300 bucks but didnt cause the dyno showed where the hp and torque come in?? I was one of them. I did decide to go with the Predator. As in my previous thread on Predator, I noted that it is very similer to the Juice 90. I dont think that there is much difference in the two. I have not actually seen prove of this, but I would bet that the curves are very similer. Take it from a Predator owner, its a good product and worth every penney. smile.gif

RWTD
04-27-2003, 17:23
From what information I have and have seen the torque peak on the Predator 100 is approx. 2200, and the horsepower peak is approx. 3000.

Regards...

Hound
04-27-2003, 18:28
Dmax, I'm extremely happy that you found the time to post your impressions of the Predator and the Juice you had/have. It's nice to hear from someone who's got both.

James, Thanks for the info. It is MUCH appreciated. It's extremely nice to have some of the vendors here put in SO much time and effort for the customers, whether current or potential. Thanks again James. smile.gif

mackin
04-27-2003, 18:50
I would just assume that with all the experience Diablo has with the high performance tuning of gas and now diesel, they would spare no expense to get the dyno curves out to the general public... As all the other tuners have with the release of their product .....

I believe that every where the market the product a dyno capable of mastering the task is avail ... Dyno competitions are ran all the time with very powerful diesels ....

Something is amiss.... What is the real excuse ?? Could be the best, why not prove it ? Why doesn't or haven't a rep showed up at an event, yet ??

MAC

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
04-27-2003, 21:04
Mack, agree but since there is no dyno sheets yet.... I might be crossing the line but, Order a Predator from James, try it and if you dont like it, I am sure James will take it back within a few weeks. James? It will sell it self to you.

sdaver
04-28-2003, 06:31
GOT A TECH 2 AND A LOCKOUT.......NO PROBLEM......IT JUST LOOKS LIKE WE CANT FIND A SUITABLE DYNO........FOUND A MUSTANG WITH DIESEL EXPERIENCE IN NEW ORLEANS.........GOING THERE NEXT. Hey bushpilot drop me a email..... :D dave