PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm in(predator)

thechevyhdman
04-27-2003, 18:05
I dunno guys I just cant pass up this Predator...just sounds way too good to pass up. What does everyone else think. I just want it to run on the 0 level and still run my Juice but have the diagnostic capabilities, and the tire size change ability, along with the 125 mph ability( I think a Escalade cluster is in the works) I guess Im going to buy it from some vendor here, either RWTD or JK. Am I just getting bored with my truck, or find a need to spend the money I have stored away for my girlfriends birthday? Maybe someone else can chime in and let the truth set them free....Is it worth it? Bill

GM Smitty
04-27-2003, 18:24
I agree with you chevyhdman. I've been seriously pondering the purchase since v 1.04 came out. My only problem with it is no resale value (it's locked to my truck once used I think). I would do exactly as you mentioned (0 level, adjust for tires and top speed). The diagnostics are the icing on the cake. I don't think the Amex can be restained to the wallet for much longer. :D
Josh

NWDmax
04-27-2003, 18:32
Chevyhdman: What would give you more long term satisfaction the Predator or the girlfriend? tongue.gif
Just tell her its the thought that counts! :eek:

Nixter
04-27-2003, 19:53
I'm totally onboard with you on this one chevyhdman. I had originally planned to remain stock for 1 summer, and postpone power mods until our relashionship could use a little spice. I've been on a couple of hard tows which proved that I don't need anything extra. And yet I have this deep ceded urge to peel out my credit card and place an order.
Perhaps you should consider a "thoughtful" gift for your girlfriend, and keep the predator a secret for a while. --Nick ;)

carnutsx2
04-28-2003, 09:09
Like they say in the movies I got a deal I couldnt turn down. I hope Mr. Brown will be at the house this afternoon with a box of HP. I talked to the guys at Predator and they say the box can be reset to use for another truck if you want to sell it.

RWTD
04-28-2003, 11:20
> I talked to the guys at Predator and they say
> the box can be reset to use for another truck
> if you want to sell it.

Hey bud, not to sound crude towards you, but that is not accurate information given to you. The people at "DiabloSport" would never say such information. You have obviously spoken to another company that is not aware of how the Predator works, and what the policy is. DiabloSport would appreciate you sending an email to nick@diablosport.com and inform them of whichever dealer you spoke with, so they can correct their misinformation.

DiabloSport has asked me to post the official policies:

Predator Satisfaction Guarantee / Return Policy:

All DiabloSport products have a guarantee of satisfaction. If in the first 30 days from date of purchase, you are not satisfied with the results the Predator generates in your vehicle, simply restore the factory tune to your vehicle and return the Predator to the selling dealer, and pending examination of the tool by DiabloSport, you will receive a refund from your selling dealer. Under no circumstances will DiabloSport accept the return of a Predator unit that has a factory tune remaining in it.

Predator Re-Flash Policy:

The Predator will marry to the vehicle upon upload of the factory tune and cannot be re-flashed, for any reason, back to a blank tool. This marrying of the Vin # to the tool is what makes it possible for us to allow the vehicle to be re-flashed by GM, and still be re-programmed again by the Predator. Re-flashing of the Predator is not possible without the complete disassembly, replacement and reprogramming of the critical components of the Predator tool.

I'm only reiterating the policies so it will not cause any concerns on the forums, and keep a ruckus from being stirred.

Kind Regards...

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

mackin
04-28-2003, 17:05
How's about a technical explanation to "marriage" to ??

Hypothetical .....

If someone were to buy a Predator, install on a Duramax say the 100 HP tune .....

Then tell a buddy hey it's pretty cool .....

If he, were to put their stock tune back into their vehicle,oringinal, divorced if you will, would that not allow buddy to now try it on his Duramax,the tramp, if you will ??

Anyone care to elaborate ?? It has been said that Diablo will not take a Predator back without walking papers, single .....

Any refubs avail yet that didn't consummate said marriage ??

MAC :eek: :eek: :eek:

NFLDMAX
04-29-2003, 05:11
I would like to know as well Mackin...I have two friends here in Tallahassee who want to "try
before they buy".

Kennedy
04-29-2003, 09:42
The Predator stores your VIN and will only perform "tuning" operations if it recognizes the VIN # of the ECM...

NFLDMAX
04-29-2003, 09:50
Thanks J K

mackin
04-29-2003, 12:58
So the Predator subtracts your VIN from the stock tune,remembers ,locks out all others even when the stock tune isn't present
??

What's the dille'o with some distributors requiring VIN number up front for ??

MAC :confused:

DMax_Doug
04-29-2003, 13:48
I guess I'm a little slow here. Are we saying because the Predator is VIN-matched that (procedurally) it must be sent back to Diablo (or the dealer) by the original owner to be reset before it can be moved to a different vehicle? Or is it that Predator owners cannot sell their unit to another Duramax owner - at all, period?

The former would be a hassle but do-able.

The latter would most certainly limit the potential market of the unit.

Which is it?

Doug

mackin
04-30-2003, 09:29
Ah come on Cat got your tongue ??? :D

Give ya a chance to get that sig up again ..... smile.gif

I guess no one wants MY green backs ....

MAC

Kennedy
04-30-2003, 09:36
The FIRST operation for the Predator install is to read and save YOUR stock tune. This is where it is "married" to your VIN. Even if you restore the stock tune, it is still "married", and as I understand, only Diablo can issue "annulments" which is NOT a general practice...

hoot
04-30-2003, 09:38
Actually, once you install the Predator, you can sell the programmer but cannot sell your truck. ;)

carnutsx2
04-30-2003, 09:44
Then what happes if the ECU on my truck goes in the can? If I just run down and buy a new ecm do I have to buy a new Predator too? I understand that they want to keep the tool from being passed around like a remote control at a frat house but lets get real.

RWTD
04-30-2003, 12:34
The Predator ties itself to your VIN #, and locks to it during the intial tuning. The Diagnostics does not VIN lock, therefore you are able to use the diagnostics on other applicable vehicles with it.

Attempting to tune another vehicle with it *after* you have initially tuned the first vehicle, even if you reinstall the factory tune in the original vehicle, will display a notice such as, "This tool is VIN locked to another vehicle".

As for why some dealers require a VIN #, I'm not quite sure why they are asking for such anymore, to be honest (there are some that still are?) I intially did, as originally the Duramax Predator would be set up so by the dealer, but DiabloSport changed that method in the final development to tie during the initial tuning install.

There isn't any dealer who can "reset" the units. When I receive a Predator back from the 30-day guarantee policy, I verify that the factory tune was the last upload to the customers vehicle, and then I process the customers refund immediately. I then send the unit to DiabloSport for a credit on my account, which requires documentation, such as previous customer proof of purchase, in order to receive the credit.

&gt; Then what happes if the ECU on my truck goes
&gt; in the can?

If this should ever happen, you will definitely be able to get a new Predator without having to pay for it. I can promise you that we dealers, nor DiabloSport, would never leave you out to dry.

Kind Regards...

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>

Kennedy
04-30-2003, 13:41
So long as the Predator sees the correct VIN, you will be fine with any replacement ECM. You should not need a new Predator EXCEPT if there is a program update from GM (another can-o-worms) that you wanted incorporated into the stock tune.

Desert Diesel
04-30-2003, 13:43
Is there a version of the predator without any tuning whatsoever just to use as a scan tool?

I'm very happy with my current TTS programs and don't want to change. So a scan tool only option would be great.

mackin
04-30-2003, 14:03
Thanks John .....

I was really hoping to share one with thechevyhdman ..... ;)

Any who since your the go to guy on the real info wondering how long do you think a timing less program ?? Any ideas ?? Seems it may a cheap stacker compared to a VA stacker ....I'll take one if if the whole unit would come plain jane...

Thanks as always...

MAC :D :D :D

Desert Diesel

You can use it as a scan tool stand alone....

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

sdaver
04-30-2003, 14:13
1.04 zero tune but speedo and tire size adjuster........availible soon?.......dave

RWTD
04-30-2003, 22:37
&gt; So long as the Predator sees the correct VIN,
&gt; you will be fine with any replacement ECM.

I had a lil bit of a brain fart earlier when I was replying, but anyway, John is right on.

&gt; Is there a version of the predator without any
&gt; tuning whatsoever just to use as a scan tool?
&gt; I'm very happy with my current TTS programs
&gt; and don't want to change. So a scan tool only
&gt; option would be great.

Actually, you have a couple of choices: As mackin said above, you could use just the Predators diagnostics portion, which does not require you to use the tuning portion of it to do such, or you can get the DiabloSport Hellion (go to www.eobd.com to read up on it and see pictures), which is *just* a diagnostics tool, and monitors all OBD-2 equipped vehicles. It looks exactly like the Predator, but it has a 4-line LCD display instead of an 8-line. The difference in price between the two is slim, too. I do stock the Hellion, but I hardly ever sell any due to the fact that the Predator basically does the same thing diagnostics wise, and often more, and also tunes, all for just a bit more on the price.

Personally, I would *highly* suggest going with the Predator, though, because not only does it offer MANY more monitored diagnostics for your Duramax, but it also has a 0 power calibration tune, which will allow you to raise your speed limiter, and adjust for tire and/or axle changes for calibrating the speedometer, and on top of this you could stack your other non-flash tuning devices on top of this calibration level of the Predator.

&gt; 1.04 zero tune but speedo and tire size
&gt; adjuster........availible soon?.......dave

Dave, yes sir, friend. I know we've been playing cat and mouse, but let's fix that pronto. I'm calling you at 10am tomorrow on one of your 20 lines, haha!

Oh, and I wanted to add that a couple of customers replied to me tonight and gave me their track times from earlier. These two gentlemen are members here (well, I know one of them is for sure, though), so I'll let them tell their stories of their 1/4 mile track times when they get around to it, but one of them was a mid 15 at approx. 91 mph, but he had a mid 2.ish 60 foot, which undoubtedly cost him an even better e.t., and the other ran a mid 14 at 91 mph with a 1.95 60 foot! Both were on the 100 settings. Not bad! Good going guys! I'm proud for you!

Regards...

[ 04-30-2003: Message edited by: RunninWithTheDevil.com ]</p>