PDA

View Full Version : Give me my 6.0 L back!

Stizoj
04-27-2003, 22:11
I bought a Duramax last weekend, put about 600 mi on it then towed for the first time this weekend. I must say I am extremely disappointed. This thing had a total lack of power and must be one of the weakest fullsize trucks I have ever driven.

Towed a small fram tractor from NJ to PA. Say about a 5,500 to 6,000 lb load. Just to maintain speed on some small grades in NJ I had to keep it floored. Forget about PA. Had the pedal on the floor the whole time and I was hardly moving.

Heading west on rt 80 about exit 299 there is a 5-6 % grade that runs for about 5 miles towards Scranton. I hit the base at 65 mph and quickly dropped to about 50 before the thing would finally downshift. When it did it could only climb back up to 57. That is pretty pathetic. My old 96 Tahoe would even pull this same load doing 70 mph.

Had a "Service 4WD" light come on an hour into the trip and the return trip too. Going to take it to the dealer in a couple days. I just have a bad feeling they are going to tell me there is nothing wrong with it.

Of course while fueling up for the ride home, there was a Dodge guy telling me all the reasons why I should have bought a Cummins. Tell me he was wrong.

Oongawah
04-27-2003, 22:23
Dude, you're the only one I've ever heard of with this kind of dissent towards this truck. Yep, somethings not right. Go get that dude with the Cummings, and we'll beat the pants off him while we tow your truck to the doctor.

stutzismydog
04-27-2003, 22:39
This is a joke!.........wright???

FisHn2DMax
04-27-2003, 22:39
If you've only got 600 miles on the truck, that's part of the issue! I seen a significant difference in Towing power once my truck hit 3000 miles and it seems to be getting better and better. I wouldn't judge the power of the truck just yet!!! A number of other factors also could have affected your first towing experience with the DMax. I also had very poor towing experience the first time I towed my 5'er. Things will get better! Trust me, you won't be missing that 6.0L soon!

Good Luck

:D

[ 04-27-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>

KISMIF
04-27-2003, 23:23
IIRC there is a possible throttle response problem documented on this site.

Some 03 Duramax's only get 50% with your foot on the floor.

Have that truck checked out.

-KISMIF

Spartus
04-27-2003, 23:44
Bring it to the dealer with the trailer hooked up, and let then test drive it...

Don't be cutting down the Dmax until you have went through the proper problem solving solutions.....

Mt truck runs like a RAPED APE in stock trim, and tore up my friends 8.0L 2500hd......

Nixter
04-28-2003, 00:29
The dealer should be able to easily acess the 4WD problem. Many if not all of the early 03's built, regardless of engine could have this problem. That is if you have the pushbutton system. If you have to wait for parts to arrive, and find yourself needing 4WD in the meantime and it fails, you can probably make it work by pulling the fuse and reinserting it. It's a green 30 amp fuse near the upper right hand corner (standing in front of and facing the truck) of the underhood fusebox.
As far as the power goes either the truck hasn't properly adjusted its parameters yet or something is wrong. I have driven 6.0s before and after owning a Dmax. The 6.0s need more throttle to motivate them empty, and just flat don't compare when pulling. With 5k behind me I would need a post-it on the dash to remind me it was there. --Nick :rolleyes:

billnourse
04-28-2003, 03:24
Stizoj,

You must have some problem. Mine will pull 19,400 lbs. up 6 % grades at 65 MPH. (Soldier's Summit Southeast of Salt Lake City.) This pass is about 7,000 ft.

Regards,

Bill

sdaver
04-28-2003, 06:25
CHECK TO SEE IF THE MAT IS WADDED UP UNDER THE PEDAL....THEN CHECK THE FUEL FILTER........SOMETHING IS DEFINITLY WRONG..DAVE

Stizoj
04-28-2003, 06:59
This is no joke. Something is seriously wrong with my truck. I understand the truck isn't broken in yet, but come on. If the dealer doesn't see anything wrong then I am going to pull the trailer there with another chevy and have him compare.

Going to see if I can bring it in tomorrow. Meanwhile I am going to drive my car cause I am a little upset.

rtquig
04-28-2003, 07:28
I've pulled my fifth wheel loaded at 8000lbs. on those same roads and have had no problem maintaining speed. Take it to the dealer and have him take a look at it.

4x4man
04-28-2003, 08:12
I traded my 2001 HD with 8.1L and Alli on my 03 DMAX and was disappointed with my first tow at just over 500 miles on the DMAX. I was very upset at how difficult it was to keep speed on the highway. I was wishing for my 8.1L back. But I now have almost 4,000 miles on my DMAX and just took another trip out with our 10k 5er a few weekends ago and was very impressed, now I don't miss my 8.1L, nor the mileage! Give it some time to spread its wings, you have a warranty so if it doesn't come around after a few thousand miles, then have it checked out.

Then get sucked in like the rest of us and get the Juice and really feel what a dog the DMAX is stock.... Wow what a difference, and I can't wait to tow with the Juice once I get gauges!!

My mileage is also coming around as well, I was getting 15-16 mpg, now I am getting into the mid 18's, not to shabby!! Just give it some time, this is a different animal.

Bob

roegs
04-28-2003, 08:42
I'm not able to find much on the throttle response issue for '03 trucks that KISMIF mentioned. Can anyone expand on the issue?

roegs
04-28-2003, 12:48
For those with an Auto Tap or access to a scan tool, it shows the postion of the gas pedal (APP sensor) in both volts and percentage. I connected my Auto Tap to my D/A today, and watched the range of 0-100% when moving the pedal.

GMC-2002-Dmax
04-28-2003, 20:21
Stizoj,

Give her 3K miles or so to "WAKE" up.

You have to also understand diesel power is completely different from a gassers.

I went from a 454 vortec in a 1997 to my '02, It took a little getting used to even stock it's beter than a gasser, but now with a few Mod's like the Juice - NO WAY AM I EVER GOING BACK!!!! :eek: :eek:

GMC :D

Big O
04-28-2003, 21:46
No doubt that it should run better with a few more miles on it. BUT regardless, it should not run THAT bad--EVER! Something is definately wrong with it or you have a lemon engine. :confused:

Alli-max
04-29-2003, 00:36
If he is sincere then fine....

But my vote goes for.... you other guys have been had!! C'mon!!! 6.0 pulling harder?? Whatever. Sounds like a TDR guy getting inniatied here,,,

Lone Eagle
04-29-2003, 17:14
Just what I was thinking Alli-max. Later! Lone Eagle

MAXImiser
04-29-2003, 20:24
:eek: :confused: :eek: Can anyone tell me why you would tow anything until the mule has been broken in???? That's like racing a foal in the derby......Wouldn't this practice void your warranty :confused:

WillowCreekStable
04-30-2003, 09:06
Regarding throttle response, I have a friend with a '03 Dmax/Alli. This is his 3rd Dmax, the first two were rocket ships, the '03 was a dog. Foot through the firewall, the throttle wasn

Stizoj
04-30-2003, 16:32
Well after two days at the dealership I finally got a response, a very informative one, "There is something wrong with it." I only heard from the useless girl at the desk. A mechanic drove it and agreed with me on the lack of power. At least I don't have to prove it to them now.

They ordered the parts for the 4X4 problem. Hopefully the rest won't take too long.

NCalDMax
05-01-2003, 11:02
My 2 cents:

Just wanted to echo the comments that the power/mileage of my truck vastly improved as it got some miles on it, but also that the performance as described by "Stizoj's" rig is not at all usual.

But then, the thought crosses my mind, too that our collective chains were being yanked. One would think that such a severe "lack of power" issue like this would be both easy to demonstrate and simple to nail down, one way or another........

Stizoj
05-05-2003, 15:05
I don't know why evryone finds this so hard to believe. It's not like the manufacturers don't ever put out lemons. It figures I have to get stuck with it though.

This truck has been in the shop since Tuesday and they still don't have a clue. They put a new computer in it today and still, nothing. I mentioned the idea about the throttle position and the fuel filter to the service manager. I am going to asume he told the mechanic since I never seem to get him on the phone and I don't have the time to go down there. Sounds like he is out of ideas and is giving up tomorrow. He's documented the work he's done and will ask GM how to proceed.

We've had GM trucks in the family since day one and have had a number of problems but never anything they couldn't fix. Anyone ever get stuck with a lemon? I would rather them just get this one working because it has exactly the options I wanted and was a real pain to find.

Of course I couldn't have bought the truck that was right next to mine. Grey was a fine color.

mark45678
05-05-2003, 15:45
I know there will be a slight differance after you get a few thousand miles on it but A STOCK 6.0 liter will get left for dead against a Dmax! mine has 50K aon it now and didnt seam to be broken in until it had 20K on it! 45 of the 50 is with juice.... 15k with hot juice! No hill to big or long ! I got some funny looks at 90mph with my toy box in tow going up hill! it tows best just above 70mph this will help it hold 5th gear !