PDA

View Full Version : Low motor temp.

bookie3
11-25-2003, 11:08
Just got my truck last week and it is cool. Maybe to cool when I am running I can not get the temp. over 140 It looks like it runs 110 to 130. Outside temp is 50 to 35. I run empty up to 300 lbs of load.
What should it be running at and what do I loose If it is not up to temp.
Power?
Eff?
Will I hurt it?
Thank you for your help guys.

Gbenzx01
11-25-2003, 17:00
bookie3

You didn't say year model but read my thread below & see what Onebigcanuck had to say abt the thermostats.
One of the first things I saw last winter running cold like that was oil consumption. When I covered the front with the welcome mat the oil usuage ceased.
Still seeking answers too but if the oil temp never gets up to where it's supposed todo it's job the engine & possibly the allison is surely taking a hit. As well as our feet!
Wonder too what the ecm/tcm is doing abt this.
Fuel consumption?
I now believe the thermostats tobe the culprit here & possibly more widespread than thought sense many are using front covers that may shadow this.
Many are busy with the holiday but maybe we can get more response here in a couple days.

Thanx, Gben

RocketsDmax
11-25-2003, 21:01
Hey I dont know about the other years, But our '03 came with a grille cover for the winter!
Some good its gonna do me in Southen California.LOL.

bookie3
11-26-2003, 06:08
Sorry Guys I did not mention my truck year and specs. Your right it would help.
2004 GMC D-Max SLT Short Box Black, I live in the Pocono area of PA so my low ,motor temp is not going to get better outside until May.
This AM ran the truck for half an hour 29 deg. out and I think the temp was just off the 100 deg. mark.
My truck did not come with a cover for the grill.
All your help and advice is great.

Johnny Diesel
11-26-2003, 07:43
Yeah winter is not even really here yet but I can see where I better get my second set of keys ready. If this is how it cold it runs now forget about shutting it off between coffee breaks while plowing. I am going to locate the heater plug and run it to the front lower valance so I can plan on plugging it in hours before I need to hit the road to service my accounts this winter. Even when it gets pretty near normal operating temp it goes right back down a few minutes later to like 160ish. :confused:

jbplock
11-26-2003, 13:59
Originally posted by bookie3:
…2004 GMC D-Max SLT Short Box Black….
This AM ran the truck for half an hour 29 deg. out and I think the temp was just off the 100 deg. mark. My truck did not come with a cover for the grill.
All your help and advice is great. Bookie3,

Congratulations on your new ride! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
Which temp gauge are you referring to? The Transmission temp gauge is on the left and it’s lowest value is 100 degF. The Engine Temp gauge is on the right and starts at 160 degF. If you are seeing a little over 100 degrees F on the transmission temp gauge that would be normal for a half hour run in cold weather. The engine temp gauge should be close to the second major tick at 185 deg F after a