PDA

View Full Version : Cetane Number?? What's the right amount?????

Sandman
04-06-2002, 19:25
Hi All,

Just curious to find out what a "Good" cetane level I should be using. Looks like the refiner quotes 45 for the premium warm weather use fuel. I have been adding some cetane boost and diesel fuel modifier to the winter mix......but am I going to over do things with the summer stuff? Or maybe I'm burning my money and shooting it through the exhaust pipe?

Just wanted to see what the "Experienced" folks think.

Thanks,
Wayne

NutNbutGMC
04-06-2002, 20:06
http://www.dieselsite.com/prodrev/cetane.htm

mackin
04-06-2002, 21:32
Sandman ,

It would be best to follow the measurement given with the product you purchase. I run Amsoil cetane boost.
--->http://www.amsoil.com/products/acb.html
They only thing you'll hurt if you run to much boost is your wallet....Its like putting super unleaded in a low compression gasser wont hurt it wont help it. I run about 5 oz. per 32 gal. tank. That is 2 oz over recommendation. I know we get crappie fuel around me. I truly believe it makes a difference.....
MAC :D

Sandman
04-07-2002, 06:23
Thanks NutNButGMC and Mackin. I've been using the Amsoil Cetane Boost and Amsoil Diesel Fuel Modifier. Wasn't sure if I was hurtin' or helpin' my truck. Don't think GM puts any Cetane recommendations because the fuel here is marginal.....when comparing to Europe...or so I've read.

Thanks Again,

Wayne

OilMan
04-07-2002, 19:34
A min cetane rating of 50 is best for low emissions, I believe.

Amianthus
04-08-2002, 08:14
Not quite. Cetane is one of those things where more is better. The more you can get, the better off you will be. The problem is the cost to get it that high. If you can get it from the pump, it will usually cost more. If you increase it using an additive, it will cost even more. So you have to weight the cost vs. benefit.
But more is better. It's not like octane rating.

MNBowTie
04-08-2002, 11:57
Has anyone noticed when adding cetane a noticeable difference in engine noise? I seam to get softer and louder engine noise when using different filling stations. Does pure #2 run quieter than winter blend.

Amianthus
04-08-2002, 13:19
Mine gets noticeably quieter. Not Dmax quiet, but quieter.

OilMan
04-08-2002, 20:39
Amianthus --
I should have said it better.
In my state, in the last session of congress, there was a rider to an eventually defeated emmissions related bill for future diesel fuel requirements where the minimum cetane rating for road diesel fuel would have to have at least a cetane rating of 50 for diesel sold in certain counties of the state. This was to help to reduce oxides of N2, a principal component of smog. Presently, there is enough sales of below 50 cetane diesel to make them interested in passing a law to require this. I am sure having a cetane rating higher may help emissions better, but this was the level they tried to mandate.

NutNbutGMC
04-08-2002, 20:53
I'd settle for a mandatory posting on the pump for the cetane rating. I was recently at a Shell station (Paducah, KY) and ask about their newly installed diesel pump, prior to pumping. It was #4 diesel. 'Nuff said.

Look here for an excellent cetane thesis, and for future reference, to the ones that search and find (few to none).

http://www.caterpillar.com/industry_solutions/shared/marine/pleasure_craft/product_support/docs/FUELPC.DOC