PDA

View Full Version : Is your truck noisier in A.M. cold weather??

Johnny Diesel
11-26-2003, 06:04
I have been leaving my truck outside in my driveway the past few days and notice that in the morning (28 Deg) when I first start it up it sounds quite a bit louder. almost like a PSD or Cummins :eek: . I also notice that on a semi warm restart it cranks a bit longer than it did since I added the standard Juice. Anyoune notice these things or should I just unplug the Juice for a few days and see if its releated?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

trout49
11-26-2003, 12:51
Sounds like your truck is normal.. Mine is louder and rattles when started on a cold(35 and lower)morning. And yes my truck cranks about a second longer with the juice. A small price to pay for all that power.
My truck however has just started a new sound on cold starts. It has a very loud squealing sound from the front of the engine. So loud, my neighbor came over the other day to see if I was going to need a ride to work! It only does it on COLD starts. Never after it warms up. I'll get it in to the dealer next week.
Sorry, I only meant to answer your question. Not rant about my problem.
I'm sure your truck is fine. That all sounds normal to me.

jeephauler
11-26-2003, 13:09
Re squealing on cold startup, just went through this same condition, and recently started a thread here on the subject:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007141

In my case, replacing the belt eliminated all noise.

ratlover
11-26-2003, 13:55
Plug her in.

Even not pluged my truck is a hellova lot quieter and easier starting than my dads 01 powerstroke. A second longer cranking and a rattle and a braaaap and a noisy idel for a couple seconds and she is back to purring.

SPICER
11-28-2003, 11:05
The dealer ordered a new belt for me too. Cold starts only and a loud squeel! Wlii get the belt soon. SPICER

Tsckey
11-28-2003, 21:40
Mine has always been noisier when cold. As I recall, the manual mentions this condition as well. I've also developed the cold engine squeal, which I suspect is just the belt. Better have it checked, though.

TC

SoMnDMAX
11-28-2003, 21:46
Diesels are louder when cold due to inefficient combustion and injection timing changes that are necessary for the engine to run. It's perfectly normal for the engine to "craaaccckkk" as it fires up, and it'll clatter until the engine builds some heat. Cold engine noise is just a characteristic of all diesels. No way around it. On a side note, my '03 is twice as loud as my '01 was at cold startup.

Now the belt squealing on the other hand is not normal.

Kennedy
11-29-2003, 07:09
Cetane has a pretty strong effect on combustion noise as well. As we get cold, and blend fuel, the quality can drop in an effort to maintain pricing.

Many of the noisier tuners/modules will also get particularly nasty when coldweather sets in...

birddriver
12-02-2003, 06:30
If it makes you feel better... the other night my dad started his '97 PSD and I started my Dmax. As we talked about the two trucks standing at my left front wheel we could hear his truck running.
That's not so bad but, his truck was about 100 feet behind mine :D the temps were in the mid 40's

Kennedy
12-02-2003, 08:03
I started my 6.5 in the shop the other day, and the builders politely suggested if I park it inside to move it out BEFORE they got there as it was deafening...

Johnny Diesel
12-02-2003, 10:33
I just untied the block heater cord and pulled some out of the plastic sheathing and ran it down to front bumper. I ziptied it in there with one of my plow connectors. I will go shopping while at work today and buy a timer. Figure on 2 or 3 hours setting before I anticipate going out. I will say that plugging the heater in a few hours made the morning start less clackity. It was sounding like a freight train falling down a mine shaft. Now sorta just like the caboose and maybe 1 car. :eek: :eek: