PDA

View Full Version : Post OEM Fuel Filter... my turn

hoot
04-28-2003, 21:29
Did the install tonight. Used JK's idea under the airbox.

I used Amquip fuel line. (8 feet) one foot left.
Installed a bleeder valve like Nomad's?

I was able to get it in the spot where the horn is, far enough in that I get no interference with the wheel well cover. After I was done I rotated the horn on it's bracket and bent it 90 deg at the end and reinstalled it behind the new filter but using the same mounting hole.

Before getting it all hooked up, before the final connection, I put the end of the outlet hose into a pan and pumped the primer. Took 80 strokes till fuel started coming out. I pumped for a while more to make sure I got any nasties out.

I'm able to access the bleeder valve from above but it's tight.
Truck started without missing a beat.

While I was at it I relocated the propane hose to a permanent fitting on the plastic intake runner. I believe the old location which was a loop below but in front of the MAF sensor may have been a problem. Certainly was causing turbulance. She seems quite a bit perkier even without lp. We'll see if this cured my de-fueling.

Here's the pics...

http://www.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/fuelfilter/

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

imported_
04-28-2003, 21:44
Nice install hoot,

I too just finished this install with a cat filter in the same location tonight. I noticed that the truck runs strong. I changed the OE filter last week to make sure I had no issues with it. I am very happy :D I can access the bleeder valve through the headlight location as I turned the filter facing the center of the truck and used two 90degree fittings.

One question, should there always be pressure on the OE primer pump. I pumped it up hard, took the truck for a rip (about 5 miles) no issues, rebled for air, went on another rip and noticed that there was very little pressure on the pump when I returned. normal? :confused:

Oh ya I almost forgot, I cut off that dang muffler, I like the way she barks now, and it appears to of dropped my egt's by aound 100 degrees.

[ 04-28-2003: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

hoot
04-28-2003, 23:04
Thanks Brad.

I also noticed the truck ran better. Strange. I wasn't expecting that. I also changed my propane line location at the same time so I'm not sure about the source.

I think once the lines are loaded, the primer doesn't do anything.

You like the way she barks? That's an undersatement.

I love it.

56Nomad
04-29-2003, 00:15
Hoot.....

Nice! The only difference between yours and mine
is that my bracket is painted black :D

BTW, the only time that you will need to use that
bleeder is when you have to change your secondary
filter :cool:

I like the CAT filter too, but with the Racor
we have the added feature of capturing and
draining any water that should get by the OEM.
But I really don't think we'll be doing that too
often if ever.

No mater what secondary filter we're adding, there
is peace of mind that we're catching all those
nasty 2 micron particles that our OEM filter can't catch smile.gif

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

hoot
04-29-2003, 06:32
If you notice Nomad, I located my bracket on the other side of the tray and had my nipples coming out on an angle. It's just how it ended up after holding it up there and fudging around. I liked having the petcock exposed from above. I'll check and see if it's accessible from the headlight area.

BTW: The bracket is black now. I sprayed foundation sealer (liquid tar) all over it and the bolts, top and bottom.

On Edit:

Went outside for a few in this awesome warm spring weather. Nomad, you're right. I poppe dthe headlight and there's the bleeder, right there.

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

imported_
04-29-2003, 14:22
A little bit of an update, I have driven 300km on the new filter, everything was OK. I decided to go do some off camber 4x4 with lots of hills and full power needed. No problem while driving. After about 15min of watching my buddy destroy his truck in a mud hole, the d-max wouldn't start to pull him out. :( I bled the system, got a big purge of air, and was on my way. I rechecked all my fittings and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. I had about a half tank of fuel. Hopefully it was just residual air in the lines from the install, I'll keep you posted.