PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with the fuel/oil filter?

Alli-max
04-29-2003, 00:22
yes, I have been lurking, and not posting so much lately.

Whats the deal here? Why is fuel so bad all the sudden? Are the "big rigs" as in 18 wheelers going through this extra filteration? Will the OEM setup make my truck die a slow death? I can wear a facemask in the smoking section of Pizza Hut, but how much will that help?

I guess I can add an extra fuel filter, an extra bypass oil filter, and 4 spare tires, but really... how many additional miles? I plan on 250K or so (should hit that in Spring 05), but when did our fuel and oil go South??

By ANY WAY, i am not trying to hurt sales of an advertiser here, but I am SOOOOO confused. I would in some way like to hear some straight answers! Bad fuel? Maybe, but it has to be filtered better than 10 years ago. Bad oil? Maybe, but see above.

56Nomad
04-29-2003, 00:41
Alli-max,

Wow...... you need to read the following string to get the feel of why
so many of us are going to a 2 micron absolute fuel filter. Yes, it is long
but it has some very good information.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004373&p=

As far as oil filteration goes. I change mine every 4000-4500 miles and
don't plan on doing anything different. Stock oil filtration is most
adequate in my humble opinion.

hoot
04-29-2003, 03:27
These trucks are just so darn dependable that we're just coming up with stuff to do to keep us fiddling.

The main reason is the high pressure common rail coupled with dirty US diesel fuel. The injectors are expensive little buggers so we figure a few bills is a good investment. Who knows, those with the added fuel filtration may experience much greater injection life that those without.

redneckcowdoctor
04-29-2003, 04:58
I've read all these long strings but find no compelling proof of any problem, only interesting theories.

I'm convinced that if the stock Duramax setup came with three fuel filters and filtered fuel 100% to one micron there would be a group desperately trying to figure out how to plumb in a fourth filter to filter out the "dirt" down to half a micron. Same with the oil filtration. If the stock Duramax came with a 5 inch exhaust down-pipe to tip there would be individuals selling and buying 8 inch exhausts to get rid of the "terrible restriction" imposed by the stock 5 inch system. Stock means "inadequate".

I'm not saying that the stock setup is perfect, and my opinion isn't worth much anyway as I'm no mechanic, but I'd like to see some good controlled studies before I spend money and cut into my truck. Maybe my truck's a ticking (pun intended) time b.o.m.b. but I've got 99,000 miles on my stock '01 Duramax and it runs great. I change the oil/filter at 5K and the fuel filter at 15k with no fuel additives(in spite of the fact that I fill mostly at back woods stations that probably get a new load of diesel every six months whether the tank's empty or not and probably have lily pads growing on the surface).

One question on injectors. I read somewhere that they were $700 each! Is that a misprint? Is it $70 each or maybe $700 for all eight? If there is $5600 in the injectors alone what's the rest of the engine cost, or is it made out of $500 of recycled cardboard?

Jeff

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: redneckcowdoctor ]

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: redneckcowdoctor ]</p>

pinehill
04-29-2003, 07:05
"....I'd like to see some good controlled studies before I spend money and cut into my truck."

Now we can have a good, controlled study. You can be a member of the control group. :D

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: pinehill ]</p>

hoot
04-29-2003, 07:32
Injectors are in the $500-$700 range each.

Now u know why we are adding fuel filters.

imported_
04-29-2003, 08:08
I would go talk to a large diesel mfg if you are in doubt. They all run multiple filters on their trucks. For under $200 canadian (what's that, a little over $100US) I have a great filtration system for my truck. After talking to the shop forman at cat, it sealed the deal for me. He was commenting that they are starting to deny injector warranties if the secondary 2 micron cat filter was not installed and used on their equipment. He also stated that the filter is of the highest quility and cat is only charging 12 bucks canadian for it!! They want people to use these filters.

I have installed mud flaps, nerf bars, floor mats etc to help perseve my truck, I thought the extra filtration was a good idea also.

56Nomad
04-29-2003, 09:56
Ok, what are the Power Stroke and Cummins folks doing
with their fuel filtration? They have to have the same fuel issues
that we do.

My brother in law saw the after market Racor 2 micron filter
on a Dodge when he took his F*rd diesel van to the shop. He
then bought a Racor assembly for his D-max, but decided to mount
it pre-OEM on the frame. He is going to keep us posted when his 2
micron pre-filter clogs.

[ 04-29-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>