PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Injectors

DMG
08-08-2003, 10:25
Has anyone ever filled their fuel filter with ATF to clean their injectors and if so, what were your results.

Thanks,

DMG

Gbenzx01
08-08-2003, 19:26
DMG,
Years ago with mechanical systems we used atf by pouring a bottle into the fuel tanks & it would do a good cleaning job. Especially if you had one fouling out it would clear it up without pulling the injectors.
But with the new close tolerence computer controlled systems today I'd be well advised not to try this. With the pure stuff hitting the pump(20kpsi) it could possibly effect permanent damage. Also one could expect the regulator to declare hairy & shut the thing down & if you had to tow to a dealer somewhere warrantee would be of no help at all.
We try to stay with a good fuel conditioner on a regular basis like Total power FPPF that JK sells on here or Stanadyne. These will keep the injectors very clean & provide better lubrication to avoid problems down the road.
Whatever one uses it should state alcohol free product & contrary to GM notice we use emulsifier & not demulsifier to keep moisture stabilixed & moving thru the system rather than seperating someplace & collecting where you don't want it too. Then again not an expert just our own successful experienced being passed along to others. Also I should mention that the oem water seperator feature is not doing what was expected of it. You can too use search feature above to find more detailed media.

Careful, Gben

Bigwheel
08-08-2003, 19:43
Gben:
I've used Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement
+ cetane boost, and right after I got my 2002 last August, with 1,000 miles on her, I was going out of town traveling at 70, proceded to pass a semi, now going 77, then the engine hesitated, then poof, went a blue wad of smoke all over the semi I passed. This was last August, I brought the truck in, they said the Fuel filter was fine, something must have gotted by the filter, and there were no codes, so I got a new filter and I was SENT on my way.
After 1 year of use, I drive 15 minutes away to get my fuel from a truck stop, which has good quality fuel, lot's of semi's fill in there every day, and now I have 9950 miles on her, I'm getting some really bad fuel economy, the engine is making some noise ( getting louder by the day ), wondering what's up, can't figure out after going through 2 fuel filters in 7500 miles, getting fuel from a truck stop, using a supplement, and still I feel injector issues?, what do you think, I'm stuck and confused, thanks!. :rolleyes: :eek:

Spoolin'It
08-08-2003, 19:51
Filling the filter with that much ATF will probably result in a really bad running truck until enough diesel dilutes it. I would be surprised in the truck would even run on it in such a high concentration. As Gbenzx01 pointed there are several reasons why you don't want to try this.

Just buy an additive meant for this, it will work better than ATF as its formulated for this purpose and they are not any more expensive than a quart of ATF. Even though ATF has alot of detergent it was meant for transmissions!

GM recommends Racor or Stanadyne, other forum members are using a variety of others. Do a search and you will find more about this than you ever wanted to know.

george morrison
08-08-2003, 20:18
No, absolutely, positively, NO, no way ATF in fuel filter! Nor fuel tank!! Use a 'designed for' injector cleaner from a reputable company such as Primrose Injector Perfector or FPPF, etc. These products do a wonderful job when used occasionally. Also regular use of a normal additive such as Primrose Powermaster (Cetane boster +5, lubricity enhancer, water emulsifier, corrosion preventive, injector cleaner, all rolled into one), FPPF, etc. are super products that work wonderfully as an on-going preventive.
No, no ATF. That home brew went away with Cummins Big Cam III engines..
George

Gbenzx01
08-08-2003, 21:35
Bigwheel,
Looks like you need the more know how than I can offer here & hope they will join us.
But asuming you're stock & as clean as the oem can make the fuel :rolleyes: @ 10k mi my guess is that the pressure sensor &/or regulator not injectors is at least partly at fault here.
Louder may mean pilot injection has gone south due to the above. Not to say it's not the pump itself as indicated by the big belch you describe. If mine, I would bear down on my service manager & chk pressures & all tobe sure whats what. I would chg air filter(takes lots of air for diesels) as you relate to mileage. The little MAF sensor inside suction tube just off air box(see the little wires going toit) can get dirty & cause strange things to happen at the ecm.
We use the K&N so it can breathe much better.
Sorry but abt all I could offer at this time.

Thanx, Gben

Bigwheel
08-08-2003, 22:07
Gben,
I'm totally bone stock, only alterations were Amsoil dual stage air filter, and Amsoil 15w40 marine syn, but no alterations what so ever. I took the truck out for a spin tonight got on the on ramp to highway, floored the pedal, and there was a second or so hesitation, then she took off, seems to really go when she does. I'm sending in a oil analysis to see how the engines going, but appointment made at the service shop early next week. Thanks for the info!. BW :cool: