PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Switch

Bill Harper
08-08-2003, 19:58
I have a 2003 D/A and have tried to install a high idle setup per the instructions on John Kennedy's website, along with trying to use the gm PTO kit that mounts in the dash which is described in John's instructions and did not work. So I have done it the other way by tapping into the C1-71 terminal and running to a switch, the probelm that I am getting now though is that when I flip on the switch and then use the cruise control bottuns to try and rev up the idle I get a surge in the idle and then it drops right back down, and even sometimes drops below idle and triggers the battery not charging message on my display. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Perhaps I need to set the PTO rpms with the Tech II? Or perhaps the PTO feedback option in the Tech II needs to be on? Any advice is good and helpful smile.gif . Bill

DMAXED
08-08-2003, 22:21
BILL

When i did mine I did not have the connector together right the gasket was not in set in place , so you might want to check the connection it worked for me good luck

mdrag
08-09-2003, 00:11
Bill Harper,

I do not recall anyone posting on the TDP forums that they have successfully used the PTO switch for the high idle function. Those that have posted their experience with the PTO switch reported that it functioned like another cruise control switch...

I agree with DMAXED suggestion to recheck your install and to make sure that all of the terminals are seated properly. If all appears OK, then your HI may need to be programmed with a TECH 2. Check this link for the TECH 2 PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004536).

I don't have the most recent Tech 2 software to see if there are any changes to these instructions. Good luck.

Modified
08-10-2003, 18:23
Ditto what DMAXED said. Either the connector is not fully inserted, or a different pin retracted when you were installing Pin 71, or something inadvertantly opened or shorted during your install.
Also, as mdrag stated, I've not heard of anyone getting the PTO switch to function as a Fast Idle Switch.
If I were doing it, again, I'd get rid of the PTO Switch, and wire the Fast Idle with no switches at all. I've been using this method on my 2002 for over a year, and it works great.
See more info from previous post at :
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005109
Hopes this helps.

chuntag95
08-10-2003, 18:43
I had problems with my High Idle that required TechII reprograming. The surge was one of the problems I had. I ran several different pins, switch, blah, blah, blah..... The orignal programming had the high idle level programmed at some crazy number like 6000. Before your drive yourself nuts and get to where you can pull your ECU like a NASCAR team, see your friendly neighborhood tech and get him to check it out.

wakely
08-10-2003, 20:54
Do it like Modified did it! Works like a charm! Thanks again Modified.
Now if I can just figure out why my 5th gear lockout switch quit, I will be happy!
wakely

Bill Harper
08-11-2003, 22:04
Thanks for the advice guys,
I got it figured out and it is working great. I had to use the tech II to adjust the numbers, I got the information from the gm upfitters, bulletin #53, which is all about high idle, fast idles, and the PTO switch, According to that the high idle would not work until the ecm was reprogrammed to the proper numbers. So on Saturday when I went in to work I grabbed the tech II and punched in the proper specs and whammm... it worked like a charm!!!!! Thanks again.

Bill