PDA

View Full Version : Road Draft Tube

HD1
04-07-2002, 20:27
While changing the oil on the DMax today (second change) I am looking over everything on the underside and noticed the Road Draft tube, front , right side of engine has oil all along side of it. Seems GM selected the "low bidder" for the Draft tube, it dosen't reach the bottom of the truck. I solved the problem by extending the tube with a one foot long piece of 5/8 hose and clamped it on to the steel tube, extended it down along the aluminum skid plate, I also used a metal band clamp and bolted it to the plate, it keeps the hose from flooping in the wind.

Why are the oil filters so hard to get off? I use a Snap-On Wrench that is made of a webbed cloth and has both a 3/8 and 1/2 steel socket that rolls the cloth and tightens around the filter, added this to my 1/2 drive 16" ratchet to remove the filter that I hand tightened just a few weeks ago. Completly crushes the oil filter,no slippage. I am worried that one of these times the aluminum casting is going to break off the block. :mad: Anyway this wrench is a easily stowed item in the truck in case I need to remove the Fuel Filter on the road too. You all may want to check out Snap-On.com for one.