PDA

View Full Version : more cooling system questions....

Alli-max
04-29-2003, 22:15
ALRIGHT!! I was curious on what was going on, so I drove around until the truck reached about 160 degrees or so, then stopped, turned on the heater, opened the hood, took off the radiator cap, and waited.

When the thermostat opened, the holding tank went from the "hot level" to BONE DRY. All of it into circulation, none overflowed. Now, what would cause this?? Of course, this is when the low coolant light came on.

SoMnDMAX
04-29-2003, 22:53
Mark, you've got an air pocket in the block....

Source: Head gasket, leaking injector cup, or it's left over from when the dealer installed your water pump.

Alli-max
04-30-2003, 09:36
Alright!! Now how do I try to fix this?? Let the truck run for maybe 20 - 30 minutes with the rad. cap off at idle? 1500 RPM's??

SoMnDMAX
04-30-2003, 11:28
There's a bleeder screw on the top of the thermostat housing. You can get some (most) of the air out there.

Basically let it run for a while, open the bleeder until coolant comes out, close it, and repeat until no more air!! That's what I've done. I'll check out the "official" way to bleed the system as outlined in the service manual, and I'll post back.

No guarantees if this will fix your problem.... :(