PDA

View Full Version : cruise control quits working

Timstoy
11-28-2003, 04:10
Hello all...I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. My present truck is my 4th D/max and on all 4 trucks my cruise control will not start working again for about 15 minutes after about an hours run on the highway and then turning off the ignition. When I restart the truck and continue down the highway, the cruise won't reset for 15 minutes. This has happened perhaps a total of 100 times on these trucks.
I've asked my dealer, numerous times over the last 3 years if they have ever heard of this and they say I'm the only one to ever mention it.
Anyone have any idea what's going on??

Thanks.....

Max Power
11-28-2003, 04:20
Mine used to do it too. Now it doesn't anymore. A couple things to try. When it doesn't work, try tapping the brake then try again. Also try pulling the brake towards you with your foot and while doing that press set. Could be numerous other things too but mine seemed like it was brake related. Now it doesn't do it anymore.

crafty
11-28-2003, 09:52
Timstoy,
In your post you say that this trouble with the cruise is AFTER you have shut the truck off. If this is the case the cruise will never reset because as soon as the engine is shut down the memory clears. To re-engage the cruise you have to set it all over again to the desired speed. Once that is done, the reset (or resume)will work as usual. :D :D :D

gdblake
11-28-2003, 16:10
Mine also does that occasionally after a long drive. Stopping the truck and turning it off again, most of the time doesn't help. I've waited 10=15 minutes after restarting (when I couldn't engage the cruise), and it would work. Go figure.. The dealer hasn't been able to find the problem.

ryeguy
11-28-2003, 16:50
Hm. Yeah, mine occasionally as stopped working. Tried different combinations of things to reset it, but simply stopping, shutting the truck off, and restarting and pulling away is enough for my system to reset and me to continue to use the cruise. It's only happened maybe 4-5 times. All but once was after tapping the brake pedal, then trying to resume and it wouldn't. The one time was after a fresh start. Wierd.

--Rob

Timstoy
11-29-2003, 03:49
Thanks for your comments...I'm glad I'm not the only one having this trouble. Next time it happens, I'll try tapping the brake and see if that helps to allow it to reset.

Timstoy
11-29-2003, 04:00
Crafty...
I realize the cruise has to be restarted after shutting the truck off. I called this reseting ( flipping the on/off switch to on) Resume is resume. Thanks for your input....Timstoy

Spartus
11-29-2003, 13:59
Mine was doing this earlier this summer... My problem ended up being related to the 4x4 selector switch. Both 4-LO and 4-HI were lit at the same time... Unhooking both batteries would usually reset it for me.. When I got back from my trip the dealer replaced the selector switch and a servo unit. no problems since.

-Tom