PDA

View Full Version : 3700 miles 10 days great friends and experiences

sdaver
08-09-2003, 17:39
A couple buddies and myself left July 31 headed from Tuscaloosa Alabama to Sturgis, SD for the 63rd annual motorcycle rally and races. I pulled my enclosed motorcycle trailor(20'x7'x8')with three harley heritages and luggage and supplies for 6 adults approx 6k (trailor bikes and junk). Towed with standard juice on level 3 and at times supplimented the juice with a healthy shot of propane. Towing was easy and once the truck shifted into fifth it never kicked down. I towed at 79 to 82 mph with propane and juice for three tanks and got 11.89 mpg without the propane netted the same 11.8 to 11.9. The propane added additional power but it was just for a fun factor and was not really needed(no noticible egt change). The highest egt I saw was 1250 degrees and that was lugging in fourth at about 45 mph. Average egt at around 80 mph was about 900F preturbo(hoot position) Once we got in SD the speed limit went to 75 mph and we sped up to about 85 with the increased speed and a new headwind milage fell to 10 mpg. I ran into several dmax/ trailor combos similar to mine that were also getting 12 to 13 mpg.

One of the other great experiences of our trip was getting to meet John Kennedy and his better half Elaine and spend 5 days with them enjoying Sturgis, Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, Crazy horse, and the Badlands. He to had similar fuel consumption with a similar dmax combo. They are truly nice and sincere people that I would have never met with out the diesel page and I look forward to spending time with them again and soon we will plan our return to Sturgis in 04.

My suncoast allison performed flawlessly. With close to 6k miles its just as smooth as it was the day I picked it up and tranny temps stayed less than 200F even in the badlands. No limp no slam no slip. Kennedy got to abuse it on some 7 percent grades and Ill let him make his own comments :D I spent some time behind the wheels of his ats allison and did find the shifting firmer as forwarned along with a firm and sometimes annoying downshift but it was better than I expected. Day to day driving the shifts could become annoying and wet/icey winter driving could become a challenge but it did not slip and shifts were solid and firm under power.
Im still glad I choose the suncoast and would make that decision the same again.

The trip was a memorable one as we all expected and its not often I do somethimg of this magnitude and I would be ready to do it all again tommorrow. This was my 02's second trip to sturgis and I turned over to 50k on this trip. Next year should get me close to 100k. The dmax has been a great asset and best of all it brought me here and introduced me to some great new friends :D dave

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 17:59
Sdaver?

Well, "Lemme tell you sumthin" :D about Dave:

That guy ALWAYS has an angle, and he NEVER stops! :eek:

For a man 5 years my senior, I just WISH I could have kept up with him and his crowd. His brother Tim ;) on the other hand went at a much more sedate pace.

Talk about a BRUTE, I didn't get to see him ring the bell at the Knuckle, but they didn't sound too happy with him hitting it 10x in a row! :eek: I think he could have seriously cut into their profit margin had he not stopped after winning like 5 pitchers of beer!

Definitely shares my interest for watching the "scenery" and he even posed for a couple of pics! :D

Had a wonderful time, and hope to go again next year, and stay even longer! Came REALLY close to an absolute no-business vacation for a change...

P.S. I don't think I'd have wanted to be around (yeah right) if the women weren't along to keep things on an even keel. ;)

Flyboy
08-09-2003, 18:40
I missed going this year, but I'm planning for next year. Where did you camp? I stayed in Nemo last year.

sdaver
08-09-2003, 19:04
we rented a house in deadwood

GMCTRUCK
08-09-2003, 19:10
Sounds like it was a blast, da**it. Wish the clowns around here were that rowdy. tongue.gif

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 19:24
Oh yeah, now that "Hammer Time" has gotten all of the complimentary stuff out of his system, believe NOTHING else that he says... :D

orange2
08-09-2003, 19:28
Wish it would have worked out so I could have met you guys, we had some bike trouble with my friends fatboy so all of monday was consumed trying to get parts and get it fixed. Then we went and got drunk. You guys who camp are crazy, we stayed at the best western in sturgis, spendy but well worth the location and good sleep. I was out at buffalo chip for the nite ranger and tesla concert, I would never stay there. Call me a wimp but I want comfort while I am on vacation. I pulled out a 12X6 ft trailer that has tandem axles, it is a heavy thing for its size, you can haul 6000 lbs in it according to the guy I borowed it from. I got 14 mpg on the way out and around 11 on the way home, both on my 60 hp setting.

SoCalDMAX
08-09-2003, 20:11
Glad you guys had a great time! Strange, I seem to recall reading about a "rolling crime wave" from AL to SD and back around that time frame... any ideas?? :eek:

Dave, didja bring my bike back? If you don't wanna come party out here, I'll come out there to pick it up. ;)

Regards, Steve

Bullseye54
08-15-2003, 13:55
We just got back yesterday,had to work today or I'd still be there.30hr20min straight through from Daytona Bch to Rapid City & 1974mi towing a 30ft 5th wheel toyhauler hauling 3 dressers.Total weight was 12010lbs for trailer.Got 8.1 mpg at about 75 mph.The frontal area on that rig is a killer.Glad I ordered the Hot Juice from JK before I left,no EGT problems like with the Pred & plenty of power on level 1.

Judging from the amount of money I spent I had a really,really good time.Third time there & the riding out there still amazes me.1200mi riding while out there.

On the way back was doing great until we got to Tifton Ga. then had two tires on same side self destruct within seconds of each other.Trashed shocks & a few other parts,but made it home.Now I have to fight with Carlisle tire about tire seperation.

Already setting up vacation for next year.

sdaver
08-15-2003, 14:22
I would leave and go again tomorrow glad you made it safely......booking next year now :D dave :D

SoCalDMAX
08-16-2003, 02:29
Bullseye,

Keep all receipts for the damage, Carlisle mfr will reimburse you for all repairs due to the tire separation. I blew out 3 out of 4 Carlisles, removed the 4th and spare. Bought Denman tires, much higher load rating "E" for a 15" tire. About $70 ea, mounted and balanced. if you've got 16" rims, you've got a lot more choices.

Dave,

Where's my bike, you're starting to worry me, man! ;)

Regards, Steve

sdaver
08-16-2003, 10:05
I got it.......just gettting in from chasing some snapper..huh........you were here guess fishing was'nt that good :D dave

MAV
08-16-2003, 10:53
SoCal,
Got a web page for Denman? Do they make a 205/75-15 in a "D" or "E"? Got "C"'s on and might need to know just in case.

flhrciblueice
08-17-2003, 03:01
Glad to hear you guys had a great time. If you are like me, Spearfish Canyon can't be beat!! :D :D Didn't get to go this year. Will be going to the HD 100th party in Milwaukee in about a week and a half though. Will definitely be going back to Sturgis next year. We usually stay at Elk Creek Campground. Might pull the bikes up and sleep in the trailer next year. Will be ordering my new truck soon. Then I will probably be bombarding you guys with questions. :D