PDA

View Full Version : Verdict is in!!!!

Kollin Syverson
11-28-2003, 13:38
This past Wednesday, while on vactation, I went out to look at new trucks. I have always been a GM person, but this time I convinced myself to give both Ford and Dodge a chance. I first tested a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD D/A extended cab short box. (Reason I chose the GMC over the Chevy, is because the new style Chevy is butt ugly). I then tried out a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins HO. In my total unbiased opinion, A TOTAL POS. This thing was roughriding, noisy, underpowered( compared to the GMC), and to top it off, I think my old 1983 Chevy Scottdale had a fancier interior than this supposed top of the line Dodge. I then tried the new Ford F250 6.0 PS Diesel. I have to say I was impressed at the power it had, but again the ride was not impressive. Very rough riding and not nearly as fancy of interior as the GMC.

All in all, it was fun to spend the day truck shopping and seeing what the other two mfgs had to offer. From what I seen, the GMC had them beat hands down, from power, speed, looks, comfort, ride, and options,( the GMC I looked at did everthing but wipe my a--.)

Good Day!

mguebert
11-28-2003, 14:08
It goes to show you that beauty and or quality is in the eye of the beholder. I am a former Chevy D/A owner and a current 03 HO Cummins owner. And according to my opinion, I think the Dodge is superior in most aspects to the D/A I owned. I think stock for stock the Cummins is very competitive, has more low end grunt for pulling my 5th wheel trailer. Plus the best part is, after all of the problems I had with the Chevy I feel much more confident in the Cummins.

I think the only thing I miss is the grade braking feature on the Allison tranny.

Kennedy
11-29-2003, 07:05
I tried to bring myself to buy the Ford, but the one I drove had MAJOR issues, so I took a step back. I drove a couple of Dodges, and they were OK. One had a nasty drone vibration at idle though. Definitely not correct.

In the end, I decided that my new shop/dyno project were much higher priority, so now I'll wait till after tax time I suppose. May do an LLY Dmax as second truck...

BTW, the Dodge T/H funsction is pretty impressive. Push the button, and it drops to direct and won't hit OD... :rolleyes:

Buck
11-29-2003, 14:54
Originally posted by kennedy:
May do an LLY Dmax as second truck...
You can build up my LLY if I can sell my '01! ;)

Timstoy
11-30-2003, 04:23
I can't comment on the new Ford because I havn't drove one But I have been around my son's new Laramie, 6 speed, H.O. It's good looking sport edition, all white, painted door handles etc, white, white. white..... We took a 1300 mile trip together in September out to Seattle and I can honestly say there is a lot about the truck I like. The power is more than adequate ( 70 horse chip - 318.5 RW dynoed horsepower ) I like the large, swing out mirrors compared to my electric extending mirrors which still don't extend far enough. I like the way the truck steers and turns compared to mine but adding Bilsteins on my GMC sure made a difference. I like the cruise control on the steering wheel. I like the center console flip up for third seating as well as for writing notes on, and all the storage it offers. The Dodge rear seat room is a little cramped, but as in my GMC, I never have to sit back there. The Infinity sound system with Sirius satellite add on is as good if not better than my Bose with Sirius.( I switched from XM - it never cuts out and much less comercials ) I like the stock Michelin 265's on 17 inch wheels compared to my Bridgestone 245's on 16 in wheels, which I have to upgrade at the tire shop with every new truck purchase. I like the height on the Dodge, almost a foot higher than mine. This is my 4th Dmax and he's also had two new Dmaxs. This fully loaded Dodge was about $4000 less than my fully equipped GMC. All in all, I was quite impressed. Would I buy one next time? Probably not, but I won't knock them. It's a good truck with a few nice things that GM could either change or add to ours....Timtoy