PDA

View Full Version : 1st tow Dynomite and Lucerix (long)

Desert Diesel
04-08-2002, 17:11
Just got back from 2 back to back towing trips with my new Dynomite box & Lucerix Mirrors. Towing a 102” wide 23 ft. 11,100# GVW toybox. I stopped at the scales before each trip & set the Dynomite box on the 70hp setting on the way up on each trip and on the 30hp setting on the way back.

1st trip took the family motorcycle riding in the desert.
Truck weight 9330# trailer weight 10,070#

2nd trip family camped out on the beach in Malibu.
Truck weight 8710# trailer weight 7950#

First off I want to thank John Kennedy for going out of his way to make sure I had product for these 2 trips. Your help was greatly appreciated!

Lucerix mirrors: I am very happy with the mirrors, however These mirrors are not ideal for towing a 102” wide trailer. For me they need to extend 2” more on the drivers side and 4” more on the passenger side. Here in California we are required to be able to see 200 feet directly behind the trailer. The drivers mirror will barely allow this and the passenger side won’t allow any view directly behind. My McKesh mirrors will allow a much better field of view directly behind my trailer but are a pain to deal with. Especially when desert sand gets under the door brace and scratches the paint & they’re not electric!

Dynomite box: Worked great! Previously whenever my cooling fan kicked in going up a grade I was done accelerating, not anymore! I had to back off the throttle up the Cajon Pass to keep it a below 70mph! I like this box. I never went into limp mode but did set the SES code for low fuel pressure when towing at the 70hp setting on both trips. I constantly checked my oil level in case I developed a fuel leak and noticed something strange; When level my dip stick would show oil to the 3rd indentation. When the truck was facing slightly uphill it would read over full and when facing slightly downhill it would read empty? The box really helped with acceleration when pulling out into traffic on a crowded Pacific Coast Hwy. I found that I preferred the 70hp setting over the 30hp but until I install gauges I'll leave it at 30hp towing.

I am very happy with both products.
The only downside is I see a new dually or MDT in the future because the wife is looking at a 18K GVW 5ver toybox. :rolleyes:

Regards,

David

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: Desert Diesel ]</p>

christo
04-08-2002, 17:23
Thanks for the interesting post David.

I agree with your observations on the Lucerix mirrors; they do not extend out far enough.
The old camper option mirrors looked tacky but they did a much better job.

Christo

Kennedy
04-09-2002, 11:08
Guys,

At 104+" fully extended, there's just not much you can do. One thing that may trip you up is the fact that the RH mirror is flat glass, and no longer convex like the OE mirror, and many accessory mirrors. There is talk of releasing a convex glass for the RH mirror in the future. Personally, I have no experience towing with these, as I cannot get a set for myself till the back orders catch up, but IMHO, 110" (as desert diesel suggested was necessary) would be unacceptably wide, and likely non DOT compliant.

I guess the best suggestion would be to try a set of convex stick ons to compliment the Lucerix for now. Until I can get a set mounted on my truck, I am not the best qualified to answer this...

As for the 0093 codes, I'd like to get you the new style harness first. I kinda doubt the harness is to blame, but would like to eliminate that variable first. From there, I am told there is a program file available that is best suited for towing. I should have the capability to loading this file soon. Still waiting on the new harnesses :(

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

Desert Diesel
04-09-2002, 16:40
Kennedy,

My LH extends about 18.5” out and the RH extends about 16.5”.
(They both actually extend out the same length but the RH angle brings it closer to the window)
I think when you get to install your own set; you will find you could use at least 2" more on the passenger side. I don't think it's feasible though due to the design but it would have been nice for both sides to extend an equal distance from the vehicle.

I did install convex stick ons before I even mounted the mirrors. And as soon as I receive my replacement RH glass assembly from Lucerix I will open up the housing and see if there is a way to add a bracket for my 6” convex mirrors.

The codes don’t worry me, so please let those customers that need harnesses have them.
Heck, all I really need are some contacts and a wiring diagram and I can rewire my existing harness since that’s kind of what I do for a living. :D
Let me know when you can reflash the box. That will probably be the cure for the codes anyway.

Regards,

David

IndigoDually
04-09-2002, 17:07
John, The width should not be a problem because my motorhome is 102" wide and the mirrors are at least 10" wide on each side. I've seen bus mirrors that are wider yet. Most of the width restrictions are 9'-6" in overall width but vehicle width is restricted to 102" or 8'-6" IIRC.

John

Kennedy
04-10-2002, 19:03
Desert Diesel,

Just got word from SteveO that the harness has cleared up any bucking (his did it quite nasty when the wipers were on) and so far, no P0093 code which he did set with the old harness...

Desert Diesel
04-10-2002, 22:25
Kennedy,

Glad to hear the new harness worked for SteveO.

I have been trying real hard to set a code without the trailer attached and can't do it yet. :D :D :D