PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Light coming on at high RPM?

kburati
04-30-2003, 06:17
This happened to me last August when towing my boat up to NH, brought it in and the dealer determined it was a bad sensor and replaced it. Haven't worked the truck all that hard since last summer but my first time on the highway this spring, without a trailer in tow, it came on again around 2800 RPM?

Either the sensor is faulty again or the dealer screwed up the first time and it really wasn't the sensor. Anyone else had this happen?

kburati
04-30-2003, 06:28
One more thing, when towing up a grade on the highway and the RPM comes just short of red-line (guessing they've got the Allison designed to hold off shifting when in Tow/Haul mode until it hits 3199 RPM) the engine sound changes from that nice Duramax Diesel grown to a much higher pitched, as if the engine's working too hard, almost rattle. When it does this I pray that it downshifts soon and it usually does but it's still disturbing.

Kennedy
04-30-2003, 09:58
Is the air box still snorkeled into the fender?

Chances are that these are false codes and will be addressed with a computer flash update...

kburati
04-30-2003, 11:38
If that's how it was set up from the factory then yes, I have not modified the air box or had the dealer do anything with it. All I've done is replace the Air Filter with one from Amsoil. Should I have the Air box modified? Is it something the dealer will do?

Kennedy
04-30-2003, 20:07
Dunno HOW these guys miss this one... :rolleyes:

Decreased Engine Performance/Power, Filter Minder Indicator On, Possible MIL Illuminated and DTC P0101/P0103 Set (Replace AIr Cleaner/Reprogram ECM) #01-06-04-050 - (10/19/2001)
Decreased Engine Performance/Power, Filter Minder Indicator On, Possible MIL Illuminated and DTC P0101/P0103 Set (Replace Air Cleaner/Reprogram ECM)
2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models

with 6.6L Duramax