PDA

View Full Version : Truck Stop Protocol

Dobe Man
04-30-2003, 10:08
This might be the wrong place for this question but I'm new to this forum. I just bought my first diesel , 03 2500 HD,and have a fueling question. What is the first thing you do when pulling into a truck stop? Do you pull up to a pump with the big rigs or go in and ask first? Does anyone with an 03 have any tricks dealing with the fast flow pumps? I now this is a rookie question but that's what I am concerning diesels.
Thanks

hoot
04-30-2003, 10:46
When I use a big rig pump I have to hold the nozzle up and pump at the lowest notch, if I can get the first notch.

You don't need to ask permission. Just smile.

c5dura
04-30-2003, 11:34
I have found some of the high volume pumps don't shut off automatically when pumping at the reduced rate. So the way you know when the tank is full is when diesel starts running down the side of the truck. I think it has something to do with the nozzle barely fitting onto the filler hole or something.

a64pilot
04-30-2003, 11:48
Usually there will be at least one small nozzle. It may be at the end of the row of pumps or occasionally there may be one up front where the cars fuel. I will usually ask if they look busy, I don't want to use a big nozzle and make the OTR guy's wait if there is a little one available.
Your'e doing the right thing IMHO by fueling at a truck stop,(fresh fuel). Ideally you want a newer one that does a high volume. If you can help it don't refuel when they are refueling their big tank as the turblence in the big tank is bound to stir up settlement you don't want in yours. ;)

jbplock
04-30-2003, 12:08
Another thing to note is that most truck stops have dual pumps (with a single meter) for filling an OTR tractor with dual tanks (one on each side). The first time I pulled up to one of these I tried unsuccessfully to fill from the slave pump. The attendant had to come out (snickering) and explain that I had to use the pump on the other side. redface.gif (I also grab a paper towel and wipe any off any crud from the nozzle) smile.gif

Mike Fultz
04-30-2003, 13:52
I have found most OTR guys are O.K. with us using "their" pumps. Since I tow a trailer its much easier for me to get in and out of the bigger stalls, than go in with the cars. I bet if I where to re-fuel my diesel VW Rabbit I might get a few annoyed looks. Last time I stopped along I-81 at a busy truck stop to refuel, the OTR driver next to me struck up a conversation about my Duramax.... he was considering either a DMAX or a new F@#D diesel.

I use the hi flow pumps real carefully, and always keep my hand on the grip. I find I can usually guess closely how much fuel to take on. What I can't seem to do is to top off the last gallon or so without making a mess, so I don't bother.

Mike

Fathead
04-30-2003, 17:21
When traveling with my trailer I always fuel up with the big boys and have never heard an unkind word. After filling always move forward before you go in and pay so the next guy in line can move up and be ready to put on fuel as soon as the attendant clears the pump.
FH. smile.gif

dmaxstu
04-30-2003, 19:53
I've owned my Dmax for about a year and a half now. I have an 135 GAL fueltank in the bed so when I fill that tank,usually when we are on long trips,I like to use the fast nozzles when fueling, however when I fill the OEM tank I will just go to the car pumps,its less hassle.
Also I bought a box of polyetheline disposable gloves (non medical use)from Harbor Freight for fueling. I have enough gloves (1000) to last the life of the truck for $15 and they come in 10 boxes of 100 so I always have one of those in the truck. Stu

TBC
04-30-2003, 21:20
I have an aux tank and have used the big truck pumps when towing and occasionally when not. One thing I have found in some places out west was that I would get a discounted price if I went over a 40 or 50 gallons. Not all places do that. I also have found that at the car diesel pumps if you take on 40 or 50 gallons and the dollar amount hits $50.00 and you are using a credit card the pump will cut off. Some of these places have a $50.00 credit card charge limit even on MC or Visa. I have had to restart the pumping cycle to get fueled up.

BTW, if you have a Good Sam Club card you get a $.01 per gallon discount at Love's truck stops. With their rewards card and get over 500 points and then fill up at the big boy pumps and pay cash you get $.04 discount per gallon and can use the Good Sam discount as well. Every little bit helps.

Tom

Linda
04-30-2003, 22:49
Hi,

I pull a 36' trailer and figure they would rather have little ole me with the big guys tying up half a pump than on the other side tying up two pumps. No one has ever said a word to me and it's so much easier to pull in and out.

The diesel in the big rig side does come out a lot faster. I pulled into a city station for diesel for my 5 gallon container. This station had one of the larger nozzles because so many city trucks fill there. I had a load of Pavestone in the bed of the truck and my diesel container was wedged between the Pavestone and cab. I climbed into the back and was filling the can (now I understand why this is a no no). The end of the nozzle broke and wouldn't shut off. Diesel spewed all over my hair, down my shirt and jeans and even filled my shoes. I could barely hold the hose and spewing nozzle. I couldn't see. I looked like someone had turned the water hose on me, I was absolutely drenched. For a can of diesel that should have cost no more than $8 or $9, my bill was $23. I wore a lot of diesel home.

KCFilley aka Linda

thechevyhdman
05-01-2003, 01:18
LMAO No offense Linda but thats pretty funny LOL. Im sure(at least hope) you can look back at that and laugh. Same thing happened to me one time filling up my mowers, I pulled out the gas pump to fill it to the brim.... my feet slipped out, and the only hand I had to keep my self from falling was the one holding the pump. Its kinda hard to decide if whether you should fall over, or keep spuehwing gas everywhere.(I decided to fall) But hey nothing makes a diesel guy hotter than a lady covered in diesel fuel :D :D :D .
Is that 50 centane your wearing :eek: :eek:
Bill
Sorry couldnt resist laughing on that one

LanduytG
05-01-2003, 03:07
"bet if I where to re-fuel my diesel VW Rabbit I might get a few annoyed looks"

Not really true. I have had to fill my 99 New Beatle TDI a few times at the big pump. Drives get real interested and can't beleive you have a diesel and most of all it has good performance and gets 50mpg. I like to fill my truck or NB at the big pumps because I fill to the top and fuel seems to foam less and I can trickle it in.

Greg

Linda
05-01-2003, 08:27
Bill,

No offense taken at all. Even the station manager was laughing. I wasn't at the time cause I couldn't even see to get inside. I edited out the part of my message where I was going to say ALL my clothing was soaked, underwear as well--I learned "lace cups" could hold that diesel just as well as a plastic diesel container.

KCFilley aka Linda

sonofagun
05-01-2003, 08:49
Linda,

Good on ya!! Good story, good sport -- both posts!

Have a better and dryer day!

Bob ;)