PDA

View Full Version : No start (Air in Fuel?)

DanB
04-30-2003, 11:52
Hi,

I can't provide any technical details on this problem but I can provide proof that it exists and has existed. I first took my truck in for service on this problem about 3 months after I purchased it. I was not treated well by the service department and wrote a letter to Chevrolet, a copy of which I still have. It is dated Feb 12th and reads:

"Dear Chevrolet:

I am writing to inform you about an unpleasant experience with the warranty service on my new 2001 Chevrolet Silverado (extended cab, short box, Duramax Allison). On February 06 I started up the vehicle (VIN 1GCHK29101E196739) and while putting on my seat belt the truck died and would not start again."

Over the past couple of years whenever I have taken my truck in for service I have mentioned this problem. Lately, the shop (not the one with poor service) has been much more aggressive in attempting to find a solution.

My truck is in for service on this problem right now and I continue to be hopeful for a successful resolution.

Hope this helps,
Dan.

56Nomad
04-30-2003, 12:09
Hi Dan,

Please get back to us when the problem is diagnosed and fixed by
the dealer.

Kennedy
04-30-2003, 19:45
Judging by this:

"I asked the service tech to look into this TSB but an internet search revealed that it was applicable to only 2002 models. Is there another one for 2001?"

Comment when referred to this:

Decreased Engine Performance/Power, Filter Minder Indicator On, Possible MIL Illuminated and DTC P0101/P0103 Set (Replace AIr Cleaner/Reprogram ECM) #01-06-04-050 - (10/19/2001)
Decreased Engine Performance/Power, Filter Minder Indicator On, Possible MIL Illuminated and DTC P0101/P0103 Set (Replace Air Cleaner/Reprogram ECM)
2001 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup Models

with 6.6L Duramax

DanB
04-30-2003, 20:24
Hi,

That statement of mine was unclear. What I meant was that I asked the service manager to look into TSB 01-06-04-050 but that *my* internet search revealed applicability to only 2002 year models. I based this on the January 2002 GM Tech Link (page 8 in the bulletins section) where it says:

"01-06-04-050; Decreased Engine Performance/Power, Filter Minder Indicator On, Possible MIL Illuminated and DTC P0101/P0103 Set (Replace Air Cleaner/Reprogram PCM); 2002 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Pickup with 6.6L Duramax Diesel Engine (VIN 1 - RPO LB7)"

I was confused because I thought another TSB might exist which addressed the same problem but for 2001's. So ... the incompetence belongs to me. :) I am happy with the level of service currently being provided.

Dan

Kennedy
05-01-2003, 09:38
DanB,

Thanks for the clarification. At the consumer level, and with the limited access to information, this is perfectly understandable. At the dealer level, it would not be. Let's see if your dealer will act on this TSB...

Louis_Young
05-01-2003, 09:42
I had a very similar experience with my 2001 Duramax. The very first winter I owned it, I would start it and it would stall and wouldn't restart unless I pushed the fuel filter prime pump. The only way I could keep it running for the first minute or so was to keep pumping the primer. Took it to my dealer. His tech diagnosed air leaks in the injector system and a faulty injector pump. He said the pump seemed to be working, but he had enough experience to know it probably had problems. He replace the pump and the clamps in the injector system and I have 60,000 more miles on it with no problems. This tech had over 20 years dealing with diesel engines. Other dealers in the area bring their 'problem' stuff to this guy for him to fix. Even the Ford guys ask him for advice. The dealer is Jim Hardman in Gainesville, Georgia. Hope this helps.

DanB
05-01-2003, 09:49
Hi Louis Young,

Thank you for your information. In this instance, being the "only one" did not make me feel special. :)

I would love to hear the input from the tech you recommend. But we should also respect his privacy and the internet is certainly not the place to do it.

Thanks again!
Dan.

DanB
05-01-2003, 16:33
Hi,

They are currently replacing the injector pump.

As far as TSB 01-06-04-050 the service manager said I needed to experience the problem and throw the code before I got the fix.

Cheers,
Dan