PDA

View Full Version : Hey Professional Dmax Tecnhinians and other Diesel-heads

afp
11-30-2003, 17:06
Some of you know I have been chasing a slight raw diesel smell in my truck coming from the forward passenger side of the engine. I didn't notice it until I installed my Mega filter two months ago, but then again, I didn't pay any attention before that. My Mega install is tight and dry--I have checked this at least a dozen times. There is absolutely no wetness or diesel smell of any kind coming from the Mega conenctions.

A couple weeks ago, I washed out the valley of the motor. There was some spilled engine oil down there, but the raw diesel smell didn't go away after that wash job.

I took my truck to a small Chevy service dept--while out of town--and got a chance to take their Dmax tech out to my truck and show him my install and tell him about the smell. He told me he thought the secondary filter was a good idea. I told him my oil level has never increased, so I probably didn't have an injector leaking internally. He asked me if I had seen any fuel dripping or pooling anywhere, and I told him I hadn't.

He told me unless I had fuel dripping or pooling, I didn't heave a problem. He also told me a light raw diesel smell was not uncommon from the Dmax.

I am not convinced.

I am thinking I should cover the EDU and thoroughly wash the right front part of the engine compartment. If that doesn't kill the smell, then I guess I'll have to remove the Mega, wash the engine again--to remove the fuel I'll undoubtably spill--drive it a while, then take it in.

I imagine the first thing a dealer will try to blame is the Mega, so I see no choice but to remove it.

BTW, my truck just got 21.6 MPG on the freeway with Juice on level 4. The next day, I laid down 30+ feet of rubber from both tires. This level of performance makes it hard to imagine I have any kind of fuel system problem at all.

What do you guys think I should do?

Blaine

[ 11-30-2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: afp ]

sdaver
11-30-2003, 18:33
drive it a while keep the oil checked.....sometimes smells rattles and knocks become a mental thing with me........performance and milage is there :D dave

dmaxalliTech
11-30-2003, 18:57
Blaine, if your arent getting any leaks, oil is fine, etc, I wouldnt worry about it. Its probably the smell of clean fuel!

mdrag
11-30-2003, 19:48
afp,

I will occasionally get a faint wiff of diesel when around the front PS engine compartment - both before and after the MEGA install. I have never found any leaks.

afp
12-01-2003, 06:44
All right, if you guys say so, I'll chill and quit worrying about it. Thanks for the input!