PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Duramax

Vette Racer
12-01-2003, 08:22
While towing my 5th wheel, after a downshift to pull a hill, then back into 5th gear, the engine got real loud like the pilot injection never turned back on. It would get quieter with power on but when you let up on the pedal the noise would get louder. After stopping, you could rev the motor and it sounded like the old cummins. Turn it off for a minute and back on, no noise and back to normal. It did this several times during the first 100 miles then quit doing it and ran fine after that. No codes set, no power loss, or any other symptoms, just the noise. The juice was in level 3 and it WAS raining.

Anyone got any ideas.

Roger Williams
12-01-2003, 10:02
I have expierenced the same type of problems both towing and unloaded. It is a problem with the juice box. I am on my second box (V4.6) and it has not cleared up yet. It only occurs during a moderate to heavy rain. Along with the rattling noise, i expierence heavy white smoke and power loss.
Juice and JK have been helpful in trying to fix the problem, but to no avail yet. I am thinking about going with the attitude to see if that upgrade clears it up. Otherwise, i just pull the box off during the rainy season and drive around like grandma.

Vette Racer
12-01-2003, 10:12
Thanks Roger, nice to know its that. I have 4.6 also. If it continued I was going to pull the box and see if that was the problem. Kind of leaned that way because I knew the 3.5 version had issues with the same thing. Well, guess I can live with that. Better than not having the box at all!

2K2AD
12-01-2003, 13:58
I am not sure what causes that problem. Mine V4.6 did it a couple of times pretty badly after a rew days of rain. It got so bad once that the truck would not run and I took it off completely. Before I reinstalled, I cleaned all connectors with some isopropyl alcohol, pulled all the pins to the front of the locks and carefully mated the connectors. It has not done it in about 15K miles since (knock on wood!)

Kevin

HoustonDMax
12-02-2003, 10:13
Worked with Edge for quite a while on this. I was the one that originally tied it to wiper operation a year and a half ago. Replacement of wiper control module, located under cowl, solved the problem. Too much noise generated on ground with some wiper control modules, which causes the Juice to get confused on timing advance issues.

If you are working with Edge, they know the details of the solution.

Edge is also working on a different angle at solving the problem, which will not involve replacing the wiper module; circuitry changes, IIRC. Last I checked (about a month or two ago), they are not quite there yet.

Vette Racer
12-02-2003, 16:03
Thanks guys for all the replies. This forum is hard to beat when you need an answer.