PDA

View Full Version : Banks Stinger..who's got 'em and ?

wangotango
04-30-2003, 22:51
Rec'd a form letter from Banks today about the Stinger sytem for Duramax. Seems like a decent amount of power increase, I'm a towing guy not a racer guy. Since I am soon to install 4" exhaust, may want to get this "Stinger" contraption.

The letter states that the increases are done "in a safe and durable manner". This apeals to me.

Who has one installed and how do you like it?
Did you install yourself?
Any concerns with truck warranty?
Removable?
Banks support?

Thanks for your time.

w/t

Cowboy_120
05-01-2003, 06:31
I bought the system about 2 months ago, but I have not been able to install it yet since I had it shipped to a family member in the states so I wouldnt have to pay duty on it across the border. Talk about agony!

I am heading to Kentucky tonight, and I will be installing it tomorrow morning. I will get on the net tomorrow night most likely, so I will report then. I will not have all the tools needed, so I will not be installing the guages until I get back.

A question for anyone who has installed the system: What tools are needed to remove the old exhaust and install the new one? I was hoping it would just be a wrench, hammer, and some screw drivers. I hope there is no cutting involved.

Thanks

ndamico
05-01-2003, 08:48
Hi,

I've installed two stingers so far. One in my buddy's '02 CC LB with 305's and a 4" lift, and 1 on my '02 CC SB with 285's.

I do like mine and installed both myself. i actually have a third one here for my other buddy's truck.

Pro's - power comes on from the beginning, not at ~2300 RPM like the juice i tried. shifts well. excellent customer support (at least IMHO)

Con's - harder to install. they locate their computer under the dash so you have a wiring harness that must be run. a bit hard to remove than the juice. takes me about 15 minutes to pull the cable out, whereas juice takes about 1 minute.

All in all it is a nice solution, although it is their Stinger system. This is Banks first try for the Dmax which is why the power levels are conservative. Eventually they will come out with a powerpack, which will make more HP/TQ but they won't do that until they start selling new TC's to go with it. right now their box limits max torque at 650 lbs/ft.

FWIW i stacked the juice with it and boy did it fly. occasionally i threw a SES light, but they seem to corrolate based on which box is plugged in before the other (in line).

my Predator was supposed to be here Tuesday, then Wednesday, and still not here. One it shows or i can get a reply from RWTD i will stack the two of those and post the results. i'm just trying to run the lower HP setting with the banks system..

mtomac
05-01-2003, 08:59
I'm juiced and it pulls hard from 1800 to 3200 rpm.

DmaxCC6spd
05-01-2003, 09:33
ndamico, in your opinion, when does the additional power begin to be noticable. I've been waiting for some more reports on the Banks Stinger before I take the plunge. I drive a ZF truck and would really like some more power under 1800.

mtomac
05-01-2003, 10:31
The Juice is no slouch below 1800 rpm either.

ndamico
05-01-2003, 11:02
Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the juice at all. I liked it very much and was quite impressed with the power! At least on my truck, it didn't seem to come alive until my rpm's got to ~2300. Once it did, it was like hitting the NOS button!

On the other hand, the Banks stinger didn't come on like the juice. i actually wasn't sure it was working at first because i didn't feel the all-of-a-sudder power snap like i did with the juice. i know they both make power in different ways. Because the banks came on earlier i had a harder time noticing it.

Yesterday i made a few runs to test it. with the Banks stinger i can get up to 65MPH between 2 particular signs on a road around here. i made 3 runs which were all about the same. Then i unhooked it and made 3 more attempts. i was only able to get up to 57 MPH this time. Just to be sure i hooked the ottomind back up and was able to hit 65MPH again.

Note this is not a scientific method of testing but it was the best i can do since my truck is too long for my buddy's dyno.

My main comment about the stinger kit is that the power is a bit deceiving, as it comes on so early i didn't notice it. sounds weird but that's the only way i can explain it. after having it installed for a bit now i notice it more if i unhook it. the truck feels more like a sled smile.gif

I'd like to add that i think over the juice makes more power, even the non-hot version. but i wasn't looking to set 1/4mi times. i just want some more power for towing. also it shifts exactly the same as my truck did before. with the juice i noticed the defueling that others have mentioned. i'm sure its because the juice makes more power, but that was just another observation.

when you do the stinger install you run two wires to the TCM that connect to the TC signals so it knows when its going to lockup. if you have a manual you just don't hook those wires up. they just seem to do their tranny protection a bit differently than edge does.

i haven't noticed much difference in my egt's, although i haven't put any serious weight behind it yet. i've only done unloaded runs from 0-90MPH.

DmaxCC6spd, to answer your question about power, i would say its noticeable from the get-go, at least when i compare it to the juice which is the only other mod i've been able to try.

sorry for the long-winded message. i hope this helps!

DMax_Doug
05-01-2003, 11:16
ndamico,

Do you think the Stinger system will work stacked with the Predator? I'd be curious how well they work together with the Predator set at moderate power levels, and whether the two would conflict or be complimentary in how they produce thier power.

If you read Banks' literature, you definitely sense that they are taking a balanced approach to produce modest power increases.

ndamico
05-01-2003, 11:22
DMax_Doug,

i agree with you on the modest balaced power approach of Banks.

Speaking of the Predator, mine just arrived 5 minutes ago so i will hopefully have an answer to your question very soon!

Stay tuned...

3-Fan
05-01-2003, 13:34
Cowboy_120,

I installed just the monster exhaust a few weeks ago. The tools I used were: Socket set with extensions, combination wrenches, torque wrench, pry bar to pull the rubber hangers off, and can of WD-40 to lube the rubber hangers to make them come off better.

I put the front wheels of the truck up on ramps and the back wheels on jack stands. Had plenty of room to work underneath. I pulled the PS wheel liner and the joint at the down pipe was right there. I dropped the spare tire and had plenty of room to work in the back then. You have to roll the existing exhaust around a little to get it to go between the axle and the shock. But it did come out.

Over all it took me probably 2.5 hours for complete removal and install. I thought it would be alot louder. I can barely tell I have a differnt exhaust on except it have a deeper grumble and the 5" shinny tip sticking out!!

Good luck!

wangotango
05-01-2003, 19:45
Thank you for all the insight and keep it coming.

I'm thinking that the change being noticed in the low rpm range may be a good concept for towing.

I enjoyed the 2-post speed test by ndamico.
Sounds like 10%+ to me.

As I am not a racer it seems that this "balanced" approach may be just the "little extra" I'm looking for.

w/t

ndamico
05-02-2003, 11:12
wangotango,

glad you enjoyed my primitive test. i wish i had a more accurate method but at this time it is the best i can do. while not accurate it does give me at least some data for comparison.

to update- i now have run my Predator stacked with the banks and it seems to work well on the 40HP setting. give it a bit more umph, and the egt's are still manageable. i don't know if i'd tow with it, but i might try it. max egt's were about 1050-1100 pushing it as hard as i could.

i haven't tried any of the other settings stacked as i'm waiting on some info from RWTD on timing..