PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive 4" pipe system??

BlueOx03
08-10-2003, 19:34
Anyone running or seen the new summit aluminized pipe kit? Looks pretty good for three bills and Summit is usually good stuff. Check it out below.

TJ

cheap pipes (http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D680003)

[ 08-13-2003, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: BlueOx03 ]

mackin
08-11-2003, 04:53
I would prefer the Banks ,but guinea pig it ,let everyone know ...
Sure is cheap ..... My brother In-law put a 3" system on a Piece a Ford gasser and it seems A'Ok .....

Mac :D :D :D

BlueOx03
08-11-2003, 05:07
I just ran across that and thought it would be a good deal, especially for all those guys the end up trading in often. It looks kinda stock, so it could be good for work trucks, maybe a little louder though.

TJ

03BlueHD
08-11-2003, 05:43
That muffler looks like it isn't going to muffle much :eek: . Its cheap allright, but is it worth saving $100? Especially wiht a company thats not really know for its diesel products.

I'm in the same boat TJ, need some pipes, soon, but the $$ isn't quite there. I think I'm gonna save my money and get a Banks.

PEANUTGRWR
08-11-2003, 16:07
GO TO A MUFFLER WAREHOUSE OR WHOLESALER NEAR YOU AND GET THE COMPONENTS YOURSELF. I BOUGHT ENOUGH MADREL BENT 5 INCH PIPE TO DO TWO LONG BED REG CABS FOR AROUND $300. JUST A SUGGESTION

wangotango
08-12-2003, 22:47
The link on your post described the system as "cat-back".

w/t

mackin
08-13-2003, 04:21
Good catch ...... On back order too .....

Replace your stock exhaust with a free-flowing exhaust system from Summit. It's designed to clear your spare tire and trailer hitch. This cat-back system features mandrel-bent aluminized tubing, a single outlet turbo muffler, and all the hardware needed for the installation.I'd pass,but that's M/O..... There's better out there ...... Gotta rid the Cat,but don't tell anyone .....

Mac ;)

BlueOx03
08-13-2003, 05:30
The system is listed in the hard copy catalog as turbo back. I didn't notice it was listed as a cat back online. I called Summit and it

56Nomad
08-13-2003, 07:20
When ever I hear anyone say CHEAP ...... to me, it implies
poor quaility. Not to be politically correct, but a better
word might be inexpensive or reasonably priced

I've never bought a cheap product thru Summit, but
everything that I did purchase from them was reasonably priced :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-13-2003, 07:33
BlueOx03,

I personally got a BANKS 4". I waited for a year before buying and got to see Mac's and chevyhdman's truck. I Liked the sound and the Banks reputation speaks for itself.

It doesn't hurt when ya get it on sale either. I actually paid $607.00 for it and it included free shipping at the time. :eek:

The system I would buy is going to have to last a long time, remember it's not like tires you won't be changing it any time soon. You live in the rusty Northeast too, ever see aluminized after a few years up here???

GMC ;)

BlueOx03
08-13-2003, 09:13
56Nomad-I couldn't agree more, inexpensive would've better suited the bill.

I plan to go with the full blown dual tail pipe ATS system myself. I posted this system for those who prefer an inexpensive system of good quality. If you own one of these trucks for say work or towing, you may be trading up every three years or so. Why spend twice as much for something when you don't have to.
Yes I've seen a few aluminized systems up here in new england. A guy up the street from me has one on his Trooper that's almost 7 years old. He uses the thing to back his boat into seawater all summer. It still looks good. I also know plenty of people that have regular steel OEM systems that are over 15 years old. If you plan to keep your truck for a couple decades on you just like the stainless and chrome go for it. Get what you want, it's your truck. I was just sharing something I found, I'm not building or selling them.

Later

TJ

[ 08-13-2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: BlueOx03 ]

Gbenzx01
08-13-2003, 23:18
Watch your language kids!
Really?

No Thanx, Gben :D

jesshd
08-14-2003, 08:02
I am not trying to start any real heat here, just some observations.

I have done a LOT of research on turbo exhausts for gas cars. Same priciples of fluid dynamics apply. Exhaust gas is exhaust gas.

You want to put on the biigest diameter muffler that will fit and provide a decent sound level, or a level that you can live with, that you can. Different mufflers will provide different exhaust notes. Some will really resonate and some won't. This will not make much of a difference to the performance. Most of the time when people buy an exhaust, the primary reason is the looks, and the secondary reason is the performance. Sexy looks sell. Stainless steel that is polished is sexy. You don't always need it. Prices for a stainless dual system for my turbo car range from 400 to nearly $1000. I spec'd out a custom system that flows better and is as quiet and as raspy as the off the shelf units for about $200. It is not stainless. I live in Colorado and don't need stainless.

Looking at the pics of ALL of the Duramax systems out there, the pipes are all pretty much the same. They all bend about the same amount and they are all mandrel 4 inch systems. Some come with the headpipe and some don't. Looking at the Summit system, it appears to be a very good system. What I would wonder about is what the muffler construction looks like. If you get a muffler with a perforated core and the louvers stick out into the exhaust stream, then it will create turbulence and that is not the most desirable. Will it really cost you performance on the street that is noticable? Not really. Will it be quieter? Yes. The main engineering challenge is to make an exhaust that flows and also sounds good. The Magnaflow mufflers are very good. They flow and don't resonate. The Dynomax Ultraflow is also very good. The muffler that is on the Summit looks like a glasspack. If it has a perf core that is not louvered and also packed with metal wool that will not burn out, then it would probably be a good system.

The Dynomax that I have has a resonance at about 2k. Almost bellows. Sounds like a Diesel. smile.gif The system and Dynomax has is not made for the CC and was about 12 inches too short. I just spliced in a 1 foot piece of pipe and used two 4 inch band clamps. I am now thinking that I will use one of the short Dynomax race mufflers as a resonator and replace the straight pipe to "tune" the sound of the exhaust a bit. Will still flow but should quiet the system nicely and get rid of the resonance. For $300, I would try the Summit system.

Jess

britannic
08-14-2003, 09:03
I helped my buddy install a Summit 4" system to his Dodge Cummins. It fit perfectly from the turbo back with no adjustments necessary, very good build quality and the muffler gives the right level of damping with a great tone. I was very impressed with the system, especially considering the cost. I've seen more expensive systems that required bending, welding and discretionary use of a large hammer to install - but the Summit system just bolted up.

I don't mind aluminized systems in CA, but if I lived in any state that uses salt on the roads, I'd want to fork out for a stainless steel system.

Personally I would prefer the Bank's system, because I already have one on my 6.2L, they have a good warranty and it nicely complements the Sidewinder turbo.

Kennedy
08-14-2003, 09:28
I forget what 3rd world country I was told some of these systems are coming from but does it really matter? :rolleyes:

I still have a Ford and a Dodge system left to get rid of but I dumped the Dmax system. Yes they get the job done, but with extra joints, poor welds, poor quality tube, and the list goes on...

BlueOx03
08-15-2003, 15:54
What say we do a little research on the product before we go throwing stinky brown stuff around. A recent picture I saw tells me you should be very familiar with that stuff.
Pick up a copy of Summit truck style, turn to page 76 and there you will see the system in question. Third world country? MADE IN THE USA it says. Your system is made in the same "third world country". You think the USA is a third world country? Real patriotic there buddy. Let me guess, you don't sell it and it's much lower priced than yours, so automatically it's a bunch of junk made in a sweat shop. I know it's real hard for you to pass up the chance to slam a competitors product and get some free plugs in, but you might try doing your homework first.
As posted by others, Summit sells good products at good prices, one of them has even installed on on another truck and said how good it fit and sounded. They also pride themselves in carrying as many American made products as possible.
Since some still haven't got this clear. I started this post to point out a good deal. Just being neighborly so to speak. I don't have anything to gain if any of you buy any thing from anyone. If you like it and want to buy it fine, if not that's fine too. Do what you want, I'm just showing something that's out there. Again if you really need to resort to trash talk, I recommend that you at least know a little about what you're talking about. Doing a little homework might help you from looking like that thing in the picture and/or keep you from stepping in the stuff it drops. Happy trails!

TJ

sdaver
08-15-2003, 17:35
dang man who pushed your ox in the ditch. kennedy has his opinion as well as yours.....your comments are uncalled for and down right ugly........kennedy has always been straight up and tooting his own horn to sell something is not his way.........check out roughly 5k post and see what you find. youve made a wrong judgement here friend.....In the real world there is no free lunch and you get what you pay for........but thats your choice :confused: dave

[ 08-15-2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]

big dipper
08-15-2003, 19:09
It's a bird.........
It's a plane.........
NO!
It's STUPER DAVE to the rescue!!!!!

sdaver
08-15-2003, 19:20
I see the power is back on huh...... guess the ox knocked you in the ditch too.........bite me :D dave

big dipper
08-15-2003, 19:22
New York is a bit North........no power problems here! tongue.gif

Kennedy
08-15-2003, 21:32
some of these systemsNeed I say more? :rolleyes:

Paintdude
08-16-2003, 06:39
I am happy with my Jardine system. Around 425 bucks plus the shipping(depends where you live-shipping cost)..Personally I would go with the Jardine,Kennedy or the Banks and if I was going to settle for lesser system I would just remove the muffler and straight pipe the truck.JMO..Good Luck..

BlueOx03
08-16-2003, 22:56
Dave you're right, we're all entitled to our own opinion. However what JK stated was not an opinion, it was a statement.
"I forget what 3rd world country I was told some of these systems are coming from but does it really matter?"
"Yes they get the job done, but with extra joints, poor welds, poor quality tube, and the list goes on..."-Kennedy
My point is if you're going to make a statement like that at least base it on prove-able fact, not just something you may have heard or a thought you pull out of the air. Okay you said "some systems", which systems are you talking about? This thread is about the Summit system and I've never seen you post any statements like that on threads about any other exhaust systems, not to say you haven't. Which systems are you referring to? ATS, Banks, maybe JK? How about you let us all in on this info. If you weren't referring to the system this thread refers to, why even post? I didn't take you for the kinda guy that had to put the other guys stuff down to put yours up.
This all may seem a little extreme to some, but there is a method to the madness and I hope most of you can understand my reasoning, if you can't no biggie. I don't believe that members who have good merit and knowledge should be throwing out unfounded trash talk like that. I'm sure there is more than a few people that were happy to see a well priced, quality piece on the market. My point behind my previous post is that members, not just Kennedy should look into things and think twice before slamming them. Some people out there are timid and may not post something for fear of members like him attacking it. Who knows what we might miss out on because of it. I never said JK doesn't know his stuff when it comes to these trucks. I've never met the guy, but I've read things he's posted and talked to guys he's helped. No doubt in my mind, he knows these trucks. It don't take 5K+ posts to prove that. Not to take anything from him or anyone else here, but # of posts doesn't mean anything more than you're willing to talk. I'm sure there's people out there that know more about these trucks that anyone here, but aren't even members. Just some food for thought.
This pretty much sums up what I've been saying all along. "Get what you want, it's your truck."-BlueOx03
"Looking at the Summit system, it appears to be a very good system."-JessHD "Do what you want, I'm just showing something that's out there."-BlueOx03 "IT IS YOUR TRUCK! Do with it as you please."-VictoryRed
Whatever smoke aiming device you use and how much you pay for it is up to you. I just hope that a more than a few can appreciate a deal passed on and that those who would like talk something down for whatever reason, will think twice and research it first.
Later,
TJ

Sneaks
08-17-2003, 09:29
Dave you're right, we're all entitled to our own opinion. However what JK stated was not an opinion, it was a statement.
"I forget what 3rd world country I was told some of these systems are coming from but does it really matter?"
"Yes they get the job done, but with extra joints, poor welds, poor quality tube, and the list goes on..."-Kennedy
Here I go stepping on my d*** again, but I can't help pointing out that it's really your judgemental opinion that Kennedy's words are not an opinion. The only person on this planet who really knows for sure is the somewhat overweight horseman who just got back from Sturgis.

We're all human. We all make remarks we regret, sometimes across several wifetimes. Nevertheless, judgemental behavior always bites us in the nether region whereas an occasional smartass remark only occasionally causes embarrassment. Continuing to beat this dead horse is really getting old and certainly conterproductive.

I agree with you. Summit fills a need just like Bayliner fills a need in the boating world. Folks need a "low cost" alternative to buying the best, especially if they only keep their ride for a few years. I may be wrong too, for I didn't interprete Kennedy's remarks as specifically trashing Summit, but overall trashing all the off shore stuff coming in to the States lately. I recently bought some Westin knockoffs on Ebay and promptly returned them for the same reason.

Sure I trust Kennedy. Is he the lowest priced vendor around? Nope. I just prefer to support decent, helpful entrepreneurs because I've been there, done that, and know his job is 7/24/365. I don't expect perfection! If his remark was, in fact, a statement specifically trashing Summit, well, from his past postings I would personally assume he has specific reasons to do so and let it go. There are certainly a far greater number of Bayliner trashers in the boating forums....

I see by your home page you have lots to contribute. Looking forward to hearing some of it.

sdaver
08-17-2003, 11:30
just to set the record straight I was the overweight horseman.........they gave me a clydesdale crossed with a jackass......big hardheaded and full of gas...kinda reminds me of some here.......thats an opinion and a statement :D
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/718709/1218122/31906753.jpg

thats me third from the right :D

BROKERS
08-17-2003, 12:27
Where is the red cape ? It's a question!

$300-1200,what is the difference if that's what you think it's worth.It's like every one here, we all bought different trucks that suited our needs and wallet.

WhiteDuramax
08-17-2003, 12:38
I have a Jardine 4" and am not really happy with it, it sqeaks and came with no instructions, and poor customer service, it was cheap though.

big dipper
08-17-2003, 13:03
Gee Dave,
Just a little fella..........ain't ja?

SoCalDMAX
08-17-2003, 14:20
BlueOx03,

I (and probably a lot of others who just read) sure do appreciate you passing on the info about the inexpensive 4" system from Summit. See, I didn't say cheap. ;) It was also good to hear some feedback from someone who helped install one on a Cummins.

I'm not going to speak for anyone else's comments. I will say that when I see one particular brand that is significantly below the rest of the market in price, I wonder how it was possible to do it. It just makes me curious. I've seen a $700 "muffler back" dual 3" all SS system that became completely covered in what appears to be rust here in CA in about a yr. So my opinion would have to be that an aluminized system would retain it's looks better and longer than whatever SS was used on that rusted system. And higher price doesn't always guarantee a quality product.

You and many others are right, as long as the buyer is happy, then it was a good purchase.

Sneaks,

Now you're picking on the "somewhat overweight horseman"? How many of us are "somewhat overweight"? I prefer the term "diesel truck owner sized" or "full figured" if you don't mind. ;)

We all make remarks we regret, sometimes across several wifetimes.Now I KNOW you're talking about me! Just finishing up divorce #2. I should have taken my own advice... nah, wouldn't have made any difference. She kept saying she was a size 8. My pointing out that the tag said 16 didn't seem to be helping our relationship. She would point at my belly. I'd suck it in, and tell her to suck in her entire backside. Well, you can see how things progressed from there... :rolleyes:

Big Dipper,

We need to get in touch with Dave's wife, Jen. If anyone is gonna have some good pics of Dave "in action", it'll probably be her. "Cape does not enable wearer to fly" LOL

I haven't had this much fun discussing exhaust systems in a long time...

The preceding message was brought to you by a tax paying Californian. Make your own decisions as to it's validity... :D

Regards, Steve

Sneaks
08-17-2003, 15:13
Now I KNOW you're talking about me! Just finishing up divorce #2. I should have taken my own advice... nah, wouldn't have made any difference. She kept saying she was a size 8. My pointing out that the tag said 16 didn't seem to be helping our relationship. She would point at my belly. I'd suck it in, and tell her to suck in her entire backside. Well, you can see how things progressed from there... It's not you, Steve. It's gotta be the water in Santee/El Cajon. I lived two wifetimes there. Finally got smart and married a gal from New Jersey. They can live with most anyone.

Now as to the photo from Dave, who cares about you "followers." I wanna see closeups of the leaders. The "Lady in Red" owns who?

Paintdude
08-17-2003, 17:52
Originally posted by WhiteDuramax:
I have a Jardine 4" and am not really happy with it, it sqeaks and came with no instructions, and poor customer service, it was cheap though. Loosen the clamps, put a floor jack under the system and raise it some then retighten. that is what I had to do to get mine in the proper position. I agree the instructions bite a big one. I called Jerry and told him about it(lack of instructions) and about the poor fitting front pipe, He said Matt was gonna have that cured by now. For a inexpensive system I am still happy with mine..

Hope this info helps..Good Luck..

Kennedy
08-18-2003, 16:22
I have it on good authority that the Hog system is made in the Phillipines. More and more China/Korea mfr's trying to break into the market.

Now I'm not saying anything about the Summit system, but the reality is, it doesn't take much to get Made in USA status....

BlueOx03
08-18-2003, 16:37
Thanks for the info on that offshore system...if we don't buy em', they can't sell em'.
That's some careful wording...I guess you're referring to the Made/Assembled in country x with parts from countries y,w&z.

Kennedy
08-18-2003, 16:50
There's a wide variance in pipe quality from gauge to coating etc. There's also a wide aviety of quality/consistency of bends. You don't know what you have until you get it, but in most cases, you get what you pay for. I've had the Diamond Eye (referred to in my earlier post) systems, and while I could make a decent buck, it's not a system I'd be proud to represent.

There has also been a surge of new players buying mandrel benders, and the economy has them fighting to stay open. It is rumored that some of these benders are selling to their wholesale accounts at "pipe price" making a short buck on the pipe and nothing on the bending. It will not take long at this rate for them to lose their ass...