PDA

View Full Version : Installed the K+N Aircharger kit.

stevem
04-09-2002, 17:48
K+N Aircharger kit.This is the kit that replaces the factory air box. $221 from Summit Racing.

Took about 20 min to install, no cutting or holes to drill, it is a simple bolt in kit utilizing factory bolts and studs.

The turbo whine is now VERY VERY LOUD smile.gif smile.gif .Throttle is much more responsive. So if you like a loud turbo this kit will not disappoint.Sorry, I dont have any G-TECH numbers or MPG gains at this time.

Yes I know some people say that K+N filters are junk, but I have been running a K+N in my VW aircooled Rail-Buggy for many years. At times the dust in the air is so thick that I can not see 5 feet in front of me. I have not had a problem with dust entering my motor during these harsh conditions.Last year when I had the motor apart for a cam change the bearings, pistons and cyl's all were in like new condition. The guy at the machine shop was amazed at how clean the inside of the motor was.

So if a K+N is capable of filtering dust from fog like conditions, it is more than good enough for a 95% street driven Duramax. IMHO.

Steve.

www.picturetrail.com/stevem

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: stevem ]</p>

pullinpower
04-09-2002, 18:41
Great to hear you like it! :D I bought one today and was wondering if you could hear the turbo better and if it spooled up quicker.Can you post some pics? Mine wont be here till Friday :mad: .

DMAXTODD
04-09-2002, 22:27
This kit definatly makes a big difference.The Turbo is much louder and the truck generally responds to throttle faster,the only downside is I am a bit paranoid about the filtering ability of the K&N? Virtually unrestricted airflow huh? maybe I will run my amsoil filter again when it's dusty in the summer around here.

mdrag
04-09-2002, 23:46
Broker's Dmax is reported to be over 300K - I haven't followed his saga closely but occasionally read of the incredible mileage on his Dmax.

I was convinced I remembered reading in his post(s) that he used K&N filters. Read to the bottom of this thread, the last post by Broker indicates he replaced the filter with a K&N filter (mileage at replacement not specified):

http://forums.pickuptruck.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=115366&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

He also posted in another thread of replacing the filters in his F350s with K&N....

Interesting that all the K&N naysayers overlooked this detail...

I'm bringing this up as a point of discussion because of all the K&N bashing that occurs on the internet...

BTW, I'm aware of the demonstration/results by Greg Landuyt using various filters.

3176CATPOWER
04-10-2002, 06:53
I used K-N filters on my motorcycles and the dirt bikes I had were run in very dusty conditions.Do not recall any dirt or grit getting through although the way they attached to the carb would not let dirt in due to bad fit.I put one on my 2001 K-2500 with 6.0 liter and gained a half mile to the gallon at highway speeds.

pullinpower
04-10-2002, 11:52
Im with you 3176,I have run K&N on my 4 wheelers and in my 2000 6.0L and never found any dirt past the filter. Im going to try this FIPK and see what it does.I think im going to go one step farther and run some dryer vent hose from the front of the bumper up to the FIPK, RAM AIR :D :D

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

sonofagun
04-10-2002, 12:28
stevem,

What is the K&N part number?

Thanks,
Bob

pullinpower
04-10-2002, 13:35
The part# for the intake kit is 63-1039.

sonofagun
04-10-2002, 14:17
Thanks Pullinpower.

Bob

pullinpower
04-11-2002, 06:28
son of a gun,did you order you an intake kit?

ColoMax
04-11-2002, 15:35
Guys, I went to Summit's site to order the K&N AirCharger, but they are on back order till late April. I did a Web Search, came up with a Million differant sites. I did however, check at www.4filters.com, & they had the K&N # 63-1039 in stock. I ordered 1, & recieved an e-mail today, stating the AirCharger had been shipped. Cost was $225.00 + $5.00 for shipping. Few $$ more than Summit, but they have a few. If you want 1 Right Away..... go check with them..

sonofagun
04-11-2002, 16:37
Pullinpower,

Not yet, anybody got any photos of the install that they could post?

Thanks,
Bob

pullinpower
04-11-2002, 17:40
Well it came in today but I was busy pouring driveways and patio's ;) Going to do the install in the morning and will snap a few shots before I leave out to go turkey hunting(350 mile round trip) and will post results when I return. :D

pullinpower
04-12-2002, 11:28
Well I got the intake kit on.Took about 20 min.like stevem said. I love the way the trucks turbo sounds now and it seems to respond alot faster to throttle input than before,It really improved my passing gear :D and seems to have better all around power than before.Going to get my camera shortly and will snap a few shots and put them in my 2500 folder for anyone that wants to see.

pullinpower
04-12-2002, 13:04
Ok put a pic in my 2500dmax folder if anyone wants to see :D

sonofagun
04-12-2002, 13:39
Pullinpower,

Thanks for the pictures. I was reading something recently that showed a foam wrap for a K&N filter (it was oiled also) to be used in dusty conditions. Has anyone tried one of these wraps?

Bob

sonofagun
04-12-2002, 14:14
Answered my own question: IT's called an "outerwrap". It's made by K&N for dusty conditions. The company that makes them for K&N is called Outerwears (outerwears.net). They are closed on Friday. Left a message to see if they are making one for this new unit yet. I switched to an amsoil filter after all the forum talk about it being better than K&N. This outerwrap (oiled) might resolve any question I have about that. I'll post when I get the info from outerwraps. K&N says the dimensions are 7 3/8 base, 6 5/8 top and 7 7/8 height.

Bob

Joe Dawson
04-12-2002, 14:36
Pullinpower
I was looking at the pictures of your K&N filter. Where does the mass airflow sensor mount?

Alli-max
04-12-2002, 15:32
anybody know the replacement AMSOIL filter that would interchange?? I called for Pullinpower and left a message... THREE DAYS AGO to a guy named Mark in their customer service dept., but still no reply.

stevem
04-12-2002, 15:58
OK Guys, here are some pix and a tech tip.

Problem= When I washed the truck I noticed that some water got thru the seam between the hood and fender and ended up on the end of the filter.

Tech tip fix= 12 inch section of 1 inch aluminum angle attached to the fender mounting area to deflect the water away from the filter.I also cut 1 inch off of the filter end of the tube to bring it away from the fender area. After performing these repairs I hosed down the hood and fender area, all is good now smile.gif . see pix

Joe, see the pix for the sensor mount.

Steve.

www.picturetrail.com/stevem

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: stevem ]

[ 04-12-2002: Message edited by: stevem ]</p>

ColoMax
04-12-2002, 19:27
Pullinpower, Nice truck. I'm glad the Air Charger went in easy. I have 1 on the way too. Question: Where did you get the Allison Tranny Badges? You have a part #? They kinda make a statement...

Forced Induction
04-13-2002, 13:20
After installation of the K&N, can the turbo cover (for lack of the right name) be reinstalled on 2002 models. They have the addition tube off the original inlet for the resonator I believe, which will no longer be utilized. If the mouting location is identical, I would purchase a 2001 cover with the silver 6.6 graphic as opposed to this boring one. The directions from K&N do not specify reinstalling it on 2002's only 2001's which is the reason for my question. I don't have one yet but it is on order from 4filters, I have not recieved a confirming e-mail yet either, I hope their not back ordered like summit and jegs!!

Jason

george morrison
04-13-2002, 14:04
From a lube engineer's standpoint, I MUST add the standard caveat. I review hundreds of oil analysis results each week and can generally spot a K&N equipped vehicle a mile away with its very high dirt levels and corresponding high wear metals. The results ARE vehicle and environment dependent. I have seen a 6.5 in North Carolina indicating a 65 ppm dirt with wear metals through the roof, while an exact same K&N equipped vehicle that *lived* in dirt in Illinois with a 12 ppm.. However, the preponderance of K&N and other non-paper equipped vehicles indicate a higher level of dirt and wear metals than with paper.
Thus my suggestion of running a before/after oil analysis to make sure YOUR installation does in fact work for your truck, your environment, your driving conditions.. If engine longevity is of no importance, then by all means install the K&N.
I do not work for nor have any affiliation with any air filter company and share my results as a professional concern.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Mike Vonada
04-15-2002, 07:54
I spent a lot of time on the TDR sight watching this debate rage on over K&N filters.
Will say that my last cummins(my other life) had a K&N with 80k on it when I sold it and during that time I did oil analysis's every 7K miles. Never any significant changes in the numbers for the oil. Now I did run an Amsoil dual oil filter and that could have made the difference. I also ran alot of dirt rodes.
Am I going to put a K&N on my Duramax, well it is on order!! :D