PDA

View Full Version : Heys and Hellos and Issues with Starting

Machina
08-08-2003, 15:05
Hi All,

Just thought I'd introduce myself, My names Cory and I just joined the diesel page a few days ago. I'm the 4 year owner of a 94 GMC 4x4,auto, 6.5TD with 217000 miles.

My problem is that my truck starts and runs fine for the first start of the day. But after turning the engine off I have to wait several hours (4-5 usually) before the engine cools off and I can start again. When this is going on the starter will crank but the engine does not start. Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any ideas?

Any help will be aprreciated :) Thanks guys

wilpulu
08-08-2003, 19:57
Sounds like a weak injection pump. Carry a jug of water with and pour a little bit over the pump before starting, another fix would be manual glow plug operation. Do a search on "hard starting" you'll find a bunch of posts in regards to your topic.

rustypig
08-08-2003, 20:02
Welcome to the DP Cory. It may be the most addictive thing you've ever stumbled across so RUN right now if you can! Probably too late eh.

Well your symptoms are unfortunately not all that uncommon on the electronic DS-4 injected 6.5's. First thing that comes to mind is that it could simply be a failed PMD on your injection pump. However the way you say it "always takes 4-5 hours to restart" leads me to believe it may actually be a worn out injection pump.
I've hear of others pouring cold water on the injection pump when it's in this no start condition. If it restarts....well...it's a costly fix to replace an IP, but probably what needs to happen.
How long have you had this rig? How old is the IP? Does it have a blue or green tag on the pump? Again...welcome to the site.

Machina
08-09-2003, 11:42
He he I've been addicted to my truck long before I found this page, they should go hand in hand :).

Although I must admit I am quite a newbie to diesels, although I've had my truck for 4 years I still am not familiar with every diesel specific. Which is why I'm here.

Well I just checked my IP (a standyne part directly infrot of the turbo intake?) and it has a Green Tag on it.

As far as how old the IP is, I have no idea. I bought the truck with 165k on it, and now at 217k I've never had a problem with the IP, and do not know if anything was done to it in the miles before I bought it. I will try the cold water trick the next time I'm in my truck. Thanks guys

~Cory

rustypig
08-09-2003, 16:42
The green tag pump is suppose to be one that had been updated with the newer style internals. Ceramic rollers IIRC etc...but they all go eventually.

Machina
08-10-2003, 21:40
Hi All, just a quick update.

I tried pouring cool water over the PMD today, and still no luck. However, I am noticing that the starter is sounding weak. Today was the first time I had started it in three days and it sounded like the starter barely had enough power to crank. Is it possible that my starter could be causing this? Something seems to be sucking more power than usual anyways.

Also today, for the second time in 3 months, my transmission wouldn't shift past 2nd gear, however like last time, it started working again the next time the truck was driven. Is my tranny screwed?

Thanks guys

~Cory

rustypig
08-11-2003, 09:49
Ahh...your problem is starting to sound suspiciously like an electrical problem that others have posted about in the past. I would check all voltages going in and out of the ignition switch (the one on the steering shaft, not the key switch). I replaced mine a year ago for about $13 from autozone.

ucdavis
08-11-2003, 14:40
Could be starter or battery issues; could be the more comlpicated IP stuff; could be glow cycle issues or plugs themselves.
Start w/battery conditions: 12.6 volts charged each (disconnect 'em both & test); if less, either batteries are weak or alternator not charging.
Then check glow plugs, glow plug relay behind #7 cyl., then read the Stalling article on Members Area, Reference Section (see top of page) & go thru the system of checks there. Maybe read that article first for FUN!
Welcome aboard.

Machina
08-15-2003, 16:56
Hi Guys,

Well I gave in on my truck and took it to a dealership here in town. Found out that my starter's death spasms drained and raped my batteries (one wasn't holding any charge and the other was holding @ 8v) So now Ihave two pretty new batteries under the hood, and having to wait till next weeks paycheck to put in the starter. My question is, how hard is it to change a starter on a 6.5? I don't think I want to pay the 400+ my dealership is asking for it, and while I'm not very experienced with do-it-yourself mechanics, I'm handy with tools and can figure most things out. Provided they aren't to difficult or need special tools. Well Hey, THanks guys

tom.mcinerney
08-15-2003, 21:17
Machina :
For the record-1.) the cause of most starter failures is cranking slow from low battery voltage(slow grind will kill a new starter). 2.) the most common cause of dead batteries is a weak/dying alternator(maybe check when up-and-running).
When removing starter it's nice to support it on a box or something. There's a write-up with pics somewhere on site done a couple months ago. Access through the passenger side wheelwell is pretty good(move/remove flexible seal). Pay attention to condition of base supporting stud that B+ battery cable attaches to. Also check condition of insulation sleeving around wires by turbo/exhaust manifold. Look for shims; be certain to replace forward mtg bracket; some suggest renew mtg bolts...

Machina
08-18-2003, 17:49
lol damn I'm a newbie :) What does replacing the forward mtg bracket and bolts entail? I assume I can pick those up at a parts house when I get my starter (as soon as I get the old one out anywho). Anything else I should be aware of?\

Also, I crawled under there today and noticed that there are some metal lines running directly undert the starter and in the transmission. Do I need to do anything with those lines to remove and install the starter? Thanks

~Cory

[ 08-18-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Machina ]