PDA

View Full Version : Duramax is catching on !

esmo77
05-01-2003, 16:17
I had a long weekend in Myrtle Beach last weekend and at the camp ground there was as many Duramax as were PSD or DC. I had a chance to talk to a variety of very pleased owners. Only spotted one 6.0 PSD and several new Cummins witch the owner of one gave a good report, and it was very quiet.I was glad to see such a good turn out.

Wayne

bora
05-01-2003, 17:19
Speaking of new PSD, I heard one at the gas station and it is almost as loud as the old PSD when idling.

Does it get any quieter with speed?

hoot
05-01-2003, 19:02
They are loud still.

I saw a Philadelphia Water Works truck today.

3500HD D/A Chassis/Utility body. If there's one, there's probably a fleet!

amccom
05-05-2003, 19:20
There would be a lot more sold if they got realistic about the price.

Nixter
05-05-2003, 19:56
I see several Dmaxes every day here in Alaska. They are being used in just about every industry that I can think of. Just yesterday I saw one upfit for city fire dept. Last friday I spoke with a construction manager about his D/A rigs. He told me that with heavy duty gooseneck trailers they will run up to 40k GCWR occasionally. I think it's safe to say that a few people have noticed that GM has put together a great diesel p/u drivetrain. --Nick ;)

TBC
05-06-2003, 21:17
I am living in Amarillo, TX temporarily and this place and the entire TX panhandle area to Ft Worth is loaded with DMax'es. There are a very large number of GM HD trucks here also. I am in an RV park and I counted 7 DMax'es in there two weeks ago. There are 3 of us there full time. I have not knowingly seen a 6.0 liter F**d in the area yet.

Tom

hoot
05-08-2003, 05:40
This morning I was driving north on I-95 running past Philly International.

I see a beautiful carmen crew cab, long bed, 2003 Dmax.

I got up next to it.

A gourgeous women was driving it and when she looked over she grinned from ear to ear. Not the dumb blonde type. She looked like a million bucks.

Not grinning because of my ugly mug. You could see the pride she had in her machine.

As a disclaimer.... I've seen many a women driving Ford PSD's, often pulling horses.

[ 05-08-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

HDLD
05-08-2003, 11:30
FWIW, I don't see that many where I live, SW of Toronto but I was in Colorado Springs a few weeks ago and it seemed like there was one within eyeshot at all times! I couldn't believe it.

NickLeinonen
05-08-2003, 18:28
i usually see a dmax or 2 on the way to and from work mon-fri. what i do not see too much of is the new cummins ram. :( or the 6.0 flowerstroke [i hear them 7.3's all the time, and we have them at work]

SoCalDMAX
05-08-2003, 20:24
I'm beginning to see more and more Dmaxes towing massive trailers to and from the desert, as people realize what a hauler a Duramax can be.

I was at the Yuma Sand Drags last Fri nite. Imagine a top fuel dragster with huge paddle tires still shooting sand PAST the tower while crossing the finish line!

I was bench racing with a PSD owner in the pits and he was checking out my stereo, tires/rims and about fainted when he saw the exhuast. He started asking about the engine and I told him it was "stock". He said he had an 80hp chip, did I think I could beat him? I told him, "Of course!" I just about had him reeled into a fwy run for the following day.

Then his fellow PSD buddy came over for another beer and heard me ropin' him in. He started telling him, "Don't do it! Those Duramaxes are incredible! You'll barely beat a stocker with your 80hp chip, and this guy's truck ain't no stocker! He's got some sorta chip AND propane, I've seen his dyno sheets, he'll blow your doors off before you hit 3rd gear!"

I tried to reassure him it would be a fairly close race, but he then declined, grinning. Then he told me he's troubled with high EGTs (1400* easily) and couldn't use the 80hp level for very long or for towing, he had to use a much lower tune to tow with. He was also wondering when his tranny was gonna give out. He said one friend's tranny had already given up, and another friend's turbo had blown as well. I suggested a bigger exhaust, or a Dmax instead. ;)

Regards, Steve

PS: I'll be in San Felipe tomorrow, loafing along so another Ford (460 gasser) can keep up. It's capable of keeping up, but not to the tune of 38gal of gas each way!

hoot
05-08-2003, 20:45
"I suggested a bigger exhaust, or a Dmax instead."

Great advice Steve.... the latter of course!