PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my new 04 Duramax today, got questions.

Jorday
12-02-2003, 12:13
Just got home from the dealer. It's a 2004 chevy silverado LS 2500HD extended cab shortbed 4x4. I got the automatic transmission. Silver birch metallic in color. I'll get some pics up soon. I really like the color, though. I know the new LLY engine is coming out soon, but I needed a new truck for this winter and it's already been snowing here. I just couldn't wait any longer. I'm really happy with the truck, it's awesome. I worked a half-day today so I could pick up the truck at noon and it seemed like it was never going to be time to leave.

Got a lot of questions, though.

It's about 30 here and getting colder every day. When should I start thinking about the front end cover?

I park in the garage and it never gets below about 45 in the garage no matter how cold it gets outside. Any real reason to bother plugging it in?

When should I change the oil for the first time?

Fuel filter. Should I just follow the book about when to change it, or should I change it out more often? I heard it's a good idea to keep an extra behind the seat, yes?

My tires seemed to be way underinflated when I picked the truck up, only about 25 psi up front. The door says 60 front 80 rear. What do you guys keep the tires at when driving without any extra weight? Should I just fill them to what the door says?

This is my first diesel pickup. Anything else you think I ought to know?

Thanks,
Jordan

ratlover
12-02-2003, 13:52
I wouldnt worry about pluging it in. If you do it will speed warm up time and not hurt anything but 45 isnt cold enough to require it. If you have a timer you could set it to flop on an hour or 2 before you leave, I kinda like having heat as soon as I hit the key

I would throw the cold front on it. I have been in 40-50 degree temps with it when I first installed(destructions said to install when warm so it would strech) and it didnt overheat. Just watch the temps if you are driving with it when its warmer. I just have the grill cover....havent tried the bumper cover yet or really plan on it.

I dumped my oil and rear end fluid at 500 then dumped the oil again at 3k and 3 though after that and am next going to 5k intervals. I am now at 9500 and will dump the front end and the transfercas as well as the rear fluid again mid way through the plow season and i get some abuse on it and then probably wont change those for awhile. I did change my allison filter(dont forget about the round magnet on the top of it) at 3k.

Edit: the 5k oil intervall is overkill for some but I am hard on the oil and have a box that makes things harder on the oil. I am running Schaffers 7000 supreme since I did my initail "flushes" and started on my 5k intervall. If I just comuted in it I wouldnt feel bad about aproaching 10k or possibly more with oil analisys to back it up.

I am changing my fule filters based on hours(250) instead of milage. I cut the original and it still looked ok but I will continue at that intervall.

A fule additive is a good idea also IMO and am using total power from John Kennedy

25psi :eek: Thats under......I cant remember what I had with the stockers....I think 60 or so in the front and 50 in the rears? Try the chalk line test or running them and making shure the pressure dont climb.

Good luck with the new truck and congrats smile.gif

Aluminator
12-03-2003, 05:10
You should find some good reading if you search the back reports that have to do with changing the rear end oil. I found lots of metal in there at my 500 mile change. It takes a few hundred miles to get the gears worn in and I also think metal shavings might be left in it during the machining.

Even without the new LLY engine you will love your new truck!!

Dennis

Jorday
12-04-2003, 14:45
Did my first oil change today. I'm going to plan on doing the rear axle soon. I ordered a bunch of stuff from kennedy diesel today. Filters and such, and also a kennedy 4 inch exhaust.

Jordan

Spartus
12-05-2003, 00:24
I currently have 12k on my truck. I did the first oil change at 5k, 2nd at 5k. Now will go up to 7k between oil changes.. I did my first fuel filter at 10k, and will continue to change it every 10k or 250hrs whichever comes first.

When I changed my Tranny filter at 7k there was a bunch of metal stuck to the magnet on the top of the filter... With all that metal there I'm surprised GM does say to change it after the first 500 miles. I cleaned the manget and stuck it back onto the new filter........

Many people don't realize there is a magnet there and throw it away....

-Tom