PDA

View Full Version : Truck Trend is no Friend of Chevrolet

MNBowTie
08-11-2003, 19:56
Well everyone, I have been waiting for this story. I wonder why it took so many months into the model year before the comparison? Sorry, but it is not good and Truck Tend patted Ford on the back prety good.

Power Stroke: Towing, 0-60 23.6 Second
Duramax: Towing, 0-60 30.5

I do not beleive! So, I'm going to look up the original torque wars from the 2001 comparison.

Stayed tuned

Professor
08-11-2003, 20:19
They couldn't even figure out how to work the overdrive lockout? :eek:

DMAX Daddy
08-11-2003, 20:28
Look deep, its probably owned by a Ford company. Most mags have some sort of loyalty to the company that pays their bills.

Amianthus
08-13-2003, 09:45
Those tests are all subjective. Performed by people who don't have a clue. There are a few unbiased people out there that can write honest articles on Pickup performance, but don't count on them working for any high circulation rag where advertisers set the theme. But I could be way off base.

(MNBowTie, was that you I beeped at a couple of weeks ago (8/3)? Was that your wheeler in the back? I think it was around the North Branch exit.)

More Power
08-13-2003, 15:05
I've written a few articles for Truck Trend magazine. They have never altered data from those published.

I think it is true that all magazines cater somewhat to big ad accounts, but they would not knowingly alter data.

Actually, I think these kinds of test reports are exactly what GM wants, at this point in time. Once the Duramax is bumped to 340-360 hp, there will be a whole new round of hype in all the mags about the new powerful Duramax. It'll be a big splash..... Lots of coverage... A whole new round of truck tests...

Let Ford have their day in the sun. It won't last long.

MP

TxDoc
08-13-2003, 18:12
Consider the following:
SAME magzine, SAME bike and the published info..

ATV Action April issue: "The acceleration is staggering, eye-opening, arm-stretching, get-out-of-my-way fast"
ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force motor did not impress us"

ATV Action April issue: "The V-Force may be the king of the hills."
ATV Action July: "The V-Force is OK on hills as long as its a straight shot."

ATV Action April issue: "The brakes are as powerful as the engine"
ATV Action July: "The V-Force's brakes seem overmatched by the weight and speed"

ATV Action April issue: "The V-Force's transmission engages so instantly and solidly we rarely felt like we were missing out on any power or speed by not being able to clutch or shift"
ATV Action July issue: "You'll spend some time waiting for the belt tranny to catch up with the revs"

ATV Action April issue: "The suspension is perfect for a spirited trail ride"
ATV Action July issue: "It just doesn't give you a good feel for the trail, and that's unsettling.

ATV Action April issue: "This big machine likes big air"
ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force is a less-than-desirable flying machine"

ATV Action April issue: "The Kawasaki can cut through or across whoops gracefully"
ATV Action July issue: "The V-Force hates aggressive riding in the whoops"

NealM68
08-13-2003, 20:46
I don't care what any magazine says I wouldn't trade my truck for anything. The dealer told me G.M marketshare jumped 20% with the Duramax/Allison combo. I'm not sure if I belive that either but I sure see a lot of them out there.

MNBowTie
08-13-2003, 21:08
Aminthias,

Sorry, not me near north branch. I was in southern MN near Waterville that weekend.

Anyway, I posted some more relevent info to back up my original statement. Check it out if you wish.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006469

Kennedy
09-08-2003, 15:23
Originally posted by More Power:

Let Ford have their day in the sun. It won't last long.

MP But gee, GM can't uprate the Dmax as the Allison only has a 545 lb/ft limit. From what I hear, the HP will only be 325 or so, just a handful above Ford.

I picked up on the same thing that Professor did about the OD-L/O thing. I mean if you cannot work the controls and read the manual! :rolleyes:

Dunno what seats they have, but my 2002 LT with buckets has power recline, power lumbar, AND power side bolsters. Unless GM cheezed out on the seats for 2003???

More Power
09-08-2003, 15:46
Regarding what I know about Allison upgrades for '04.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=19&t=000188

MP

Kennedy
09-08-2003, 15:55
Oops, my comment on 545 lb/ft was supposed to be sarcastic...