PDA

View Full Version : Truck Trend Results in 12- 2000

MNBowTie
08-11-2003, 20:21
Ok, I have been vendicated:

Towing 9000 Trailer:

2001 Durmax 0-60 24.30
2001 Power Stroke 0-60 30.15

The current test is B as in B and S as in S. want more.... Check out the Pickup Truck.com test, much closer comparison.

I might as well cancel my subscription, if I can't get apples to apples testing.

drthv8r
08-11-2003, 20:27
Have you read the Sept/Oct 2003 Truck Trend? They pretty much make the Duramax/GMC out to be a whimp mobile compaired to the Ford 6.0.

conradv
08-11-2003, 20:58
The only way that ANY of these "tests" make any sense at all, is to tow with at least 3 trucks of the same make, and average them together.

It's stupid to use only one truck and call it gospel.

FisHn2DMax
08-12-2003, 00:32
I agree, Truck Trend probably should use an average of two or more exact same make and type of truck(s) for testing. However, all the truck rags seem to guage results on what ever the factory sends them.

I would have expected the New Ford 6.0 to beat the DuraMax. It's spec'ed with more HP and TQ, so we shouldn't be too surprised that the Ford beat the DuraMax in both street and towing. Yes, the testers should have found a way to lock out O/D on both trucks, used same truck configurations with same mileage ( not a Ford Extended vs. a GMC crew) and the towing results would have been much closer. We all know the Duramax doesn't "wake up" until it gets 5K miles on it.

To be fair to Truck Trend, they did choose the DuraMax over the Ford for Day to Day use. So they did recognize the better drivability and handling quality of the GM HD. When the new 04 Duramax comes out in January, I doubt the Ford will be TT's pick for towing next year. Look at this as a positive!!! I'm glad Ford came out with a higher powered engine, It raised the bar for GM & Dodge. Now it's GM & Dodge's turn to set the HP & TQ bar to new heights.

Without global competition, we'd still be driving Gremlins and Vega's LOL :D .

Bigwheel
08-12-2003, 08:44
Read this review, tell me this is not apples to apples test.
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html
click here: PickupTruck.com - Diesel Truck Shoot Out (http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/2003shootout/page1.html)

MNBowTie
08-12-2003, 19:01
Ok,
I'm not whining because the new PS, out muscled the DMAX, I think we all expected that. It is the spread that concerns me. So, if you were looking to buy right now and your main concern is towing performance they make it sound like the DMAX is incapable, which is not the case.
I read the pickup.com when it first debuted. I recognize the points that are being made about both trucks in both reviews. However, my problem is with Truck Trend and their twisting of the facts.
BS 1.
1. Dec. 2000, the test truck Chevy 2001, 2500 HD,CC,SB 4x4,Allision, Curb weight: #6680. Current test is the same truck, only in GMC dress and they rate it #5892
and then say the Ford is heavier. BS
BS 2.
2. Dec 2000 towing trailer was 9000#
Current test trailer is only 7000#.
A. 0-60, is 7 seconds slower, between the two? come on!
B. They didn't test the same trailer on the Ford and GMC, two different trailers.
3. How can this difference between the Chevy in 01, and GMC in 03 be?. Simple it is BS.
4. The non-towing 0-60 are less than 1/2 sec and believable.