PDA

View Full Version : More problems with an 03 D-max

Jaxon
12-24-2005, 18:17
Hey guys... I just sold a friend of mine an 03 Chev LT 2500 Dmax / Allison.

Twice now when he goes out to start the truck in the morning, it starts, then quits. He primes it at the front and then it fires up.

What could be the problem? Truck has 85K miles on it.

DmaxMaverick
12-24-2005, 20:30
I swore I was going to take time off until after Christmas, but....

Sounds like an air leak. probably the fuel filter. remove it and ensure the O-ring is in the groove, and the filter is well tightened. A little gear oil, pet. jelly, or grease on the O-ring helps a lot.

Other possibilities are the primer pump (can let air in when it's failed), fouled diagnostic port (schrader valve--if it's been messed with), or a leaking fuel line coupler. Keep in mind, just because it doesn't leak under pressure, doesn't mean it won't leak under vacuum.

Jaxon
12-26-2005, 00:05
OK, upon further inspection... The casing around the primer button on the top has a little crack in it, and theres some diesel on top of it. I'd assume thats the problem? Whats that peice worth, and why in the world is it cracked?

I think this trucks a lemon, I feel bad for selling it to him!

Jaxon
12-28-2005, 18:25
What is that piece called? Anyone?

jbplock
12-29-2005, 05:24
Jaxon,

The Helms manual refers to this piece as the "fuel filter/heater element housing". Judging from what other members have reported, it can only be purchased as an assembly. See the third post by BLU_MAX in Help - Fuel Filter (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=008618) .. He was quoted $400..

Jaxon
12-29-2005, 22:57
Thanks for your help bill - Can anyone else verify that this is probably whats causing the problem with the truck not starting sometimes?

jbplock
12-30-2005, 02:00
Jaxon,
You mentioned that there was diesel fuel on top of the housing. Was it near the crack you saw? Try drying any remaining fuel and pump up the primer until hard to see if any fuel weeps from the crack. There is an extensive fuel system diagnostic procedure in the helms manual that begins with this test. Since the stock fuel system operates with a vacuum at the filter, the crack could be letting air into the system and causing a loss of prime. Also, if you have access to a Kent-Moore (http://community.webshots.com/album/73314886FLnSco) or Kennedy (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289) Vacuum/Pressure gauge you could check to see how long it takes the pressure to bleed off. Pump up the primer until 10 psi is indicated on the gauge. After a minute the pressure should still be a least 2psi

Jaxon
12-31-2005, 10:32
Thanks Bill - Yes, the diesel is right near the crack, and if you dry it out, it does come back. I have no access to a guage, and the truck is four hours away, I'm just trying to help diagnose it for the guy I sold it to. I'm fairly confident that that would be the problem, so I'm going to try to find him a used one on Ebay, if an OEM one is $800 bux. Thanks!

DA_MAXX
01-03-2006, 14:35
Had hard starting problem with my 03. Dealer replace that part. They first claimed is wasn't covered under the 100k warranty. Had to show them on page 9 it was. So far (1 week) its been starting fine. The quoted the part was $500.

Hope this helps.

Jaxon
01-06-2006, 22:02
DA_Maxx

How did you get it through Warranty? This truck doesn't have the extended warranty, just what it got with it from the factory. Where can I find out if this is covered?

Jaxon

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2006, 01:27
You have a GM "engine" warranty that is good for 100K miles and 5 years (only applies to Diesels). It includes the fuel system, but there is a $100 deductible. If your fuel filter ass'y has failed, it'll be well worth it, as the ass'y alone is over $500, dealer list, plus R/R. The warranty covers everything engine (except "wear parts") in front of the tranny, and also includes the flywheel/clutch (not the T/C), if it applies.

Jaxon
01-07-2006, 10:08
Thanks a lot Maverick - I wonder if they'll cover the warranty even though its cracked? I have no clue how someone would break that peice, besides it being a factory flaw.

I'll let my buddy know, he can bring the truck in.

DmaxMaverick
01-07-2006, 10:43
A crack may be a problem with warranty coverage. This is where it is important to have a good relationship with the service dept. On the same note, GM has been fairly responsive in regards to getting clean fuel into the engine. It may depend on the tech's description of "how" the crack came to be. The filter ass'y isn't considered a "wear item", so it may be a non-issue with some dealers, as long as abuse isn't evident.

DA_MAXX
01-09-2006, 21:32
Jaxon, hope you get this covered under the warranty, crack or not. It's just as Maverick stated.

Anyway, must have jinx myself. Hard the hard start problem today. So it seems that part didn't fix the problem. Will be taking back into the shop.

Jaxon
01-15-2006, 11:15
Hey guys - not sure whats happening yet - The owner of the truck is gone to work for a few weeks, and he said he wants to get it fixed when he gets back. Hopefully it works out ok.