PDA

View Full Version : Removing truck from storage

TSimpler
12-26-2005, 08:11
So its like this...

I'm back from the "Tan Waist Land" :eek: until I recover from some minor injuries; so I will be removing my truck from its pearch in my garage.

I know to check every fluid and look for leaks, to reconnect the batteries, to take it off blocks, and to double check everything.

It has been sitting for 4 months; what else should I do? I will be home for about 3 months then I will go back over and my truck will return to the blocks in my garage.

Thanks
Trent

Kennedy
12-26-2005, 08:17
I don't recall when you put it to rest, but it wasn't just too long ago was it? Not wanting to make light the time you spent eating sand etc, but I believe it was a matter of months and you took extra precatutions prior to leaving.

Being in what I assume is a dry climate, I don't think I'd worry about much more than tire psi, charge batteries (don't make the alternator do it) and maybe a quick oil change if not done before storage...

TSimpler
12-26-2005, 08:26
It is a dry at home (I'm not home yet) and it was only 4.5 months ago. I did listen to everything I was told and took all the steps to protect my truck. I changed the oil just before storage.

I never thought about charging the Batteries but that is a very good idea.

I was not planning on coming home mid tour so I had take all the steps to be gone for 18 months.
Better safe that sorry. Maybe I should have thought about that more...

Thanks
Trent

mark45678
12-26-2005, 09:59
Sounds like you have a good plan I just wanted to let you know also the torque converter may have drained back to the pan by now so dont be alarmed when it doesnt want to move when you put it in gear . It may take 5~10 seconds to move just be aware of this noting is wrong! Hope your healing good as new. Thank you and the rest of the millitary for taking care of things over in the Gulf and abroud . smile.gif

markrinker
01-01-2006, 16:34
I admire your dilegence - putting your truck up on blocks and such. Guess you really didn't know HOW long it might be in storage. Smart move.

My 6.5's are becoming 'seasonal' plow trucks, which means they sit in the weeds from April through November.

I just try to start and drive them every month or so to keep the batteries up. Maybe this year I'll do what you did and save the hassle of firing them up and burning fuel for no reason.

More Power
01-02-2006, 22:22
Lil Red sat for about 4 months last winter while the rear-end was out from under it. Didn't start the engine in all that time. I didn't do anything special when I did. When the time came, it started like I'd shut it off the night before - no battery charge, nuthin.

As mentioned earlier, TC drainback would be expected. It'll just take a short time once started for it to get the fluid back where it belongs.

And speaking of TC drainback, each time Lil Red sits for "some" months, the drainback raises the fluid level in the trans to a point that it'll leak a bit at the dipstick pipe, leaving a spot on the garage floor about the size of a dinner plate. It's done this twice, the past two winters - and with two different Allisons. Doesn't leak otherwise - like when driven or started at least once a month.

Take care!

Jim