PDA

View Full Version : Any relief in sight?

DWB
08-12-2003, 14:30
Slowly but surely, everyone I know with a Duramax
has had injector failures. That and what I have read here lead me to believe there should be a recall or at least an admission by GM that there is a problem and they are working on it. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part since it took a class action suit to get some action on the bad injectors in the gas engines. Anyone hear any rumors??

OC_DMAX
08-12-2003, 15:23
It will be interesting to see what type of fuel filtration changes (if any) are made when the updated DMAX engine appears in early 2004. If changes are made, it may be an indication that GM feels the current design is insufficent to provide long, troublefree injector life.

sonofagun
08-12-2003, 18:54
I've been on the board a while and haven't heard too many guys (of the 10,000+ members) who have had injector problems. It would be interesting for those who have to respond to this thread so we could get an acurate count. This doesn't lessen the fact that they do fail and are very expensive to replace. I've watched with interest the posts on this issue and it seems to me that the most pressing issue is poor quality (unclean) U.S. diesel fuel. The fix, it seems to me, is better filtration with a second filter down to the 2 micron level. GM my make them tougher (good) and easier to remove (cheaper) but the fuel will still be dirty. When my '04 gets here I will add a secondary post oem fuel filter and drive on.

Bob ;)

dmaxalliTech
08-12-2003, 19:11
Originally posted by DWB:
Slowly but surely, everyone I know with a Duramax
has had injector failures. That and what I have read here lead me to believe there should be a recall or at least an admission by GM that there is a problem and they are working on it. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part since it took a class action suit to get some action on the bad injectors in the gas engines. Anyone hear any rumors?? I dont think your gonna get either.. If GM made an admittance that there was a problem, they would go broke with the warr claims. No Recall either as its not a safty issue, well at least not directly. I have to agree and I have said it in the past, I think a lot stems from the poor quality of US diesel... I have heard that GM is taking interest in the aftermarket additional fuel filtration issues.. Maybe they are looking to improve something.. we will know soon enough I think. Until they do, secondary filtration should be a primary upgrade ;)

Joe.G
08-13-2003, 17:44
I have kept additives in my tank on a regular basis for 96000 + miles and have had no injection problems. I think the best thing you can add is a water dispersant, water is your greatest enemy, dirty fuel is the second worst. Filling up at a place you can trust helps your peace of mind too.

2001 Dmax/Alli Ext/Cab W/HJ & Banks 4" exhaust

Captain Mal
08-13-2003, 19:58
DWB,

I've replaced all of my injectors after four failures at different times. It has cost me over $5,000 to do it.

Met a fellow yesterday that just took delivery on a new Duramax. He had injector failures on his '01. According to this guy he made some kind of deal with GM to get a 'serious' discount on the new truck because of his failures.

I'm in contact with GM right now with the hope they will work with me on something like that. The ARE injector failures.

Lonewolf867
08-13-2003, 20:07
So are these failures only on the 01's or are they on all the dmax's? Any issues with the 02-03's yet??

mackin
08-13-2003, 20:19
I assure you as a 01 owner mine are dumping fuel .... I have done all maintenance as prescribed .... I have been running an additive long before GM gave the OK ....

I have to attribute to dirty fuel and lack of good primary filtering quality offered by GM that is forcing us to produce documentation that Racor was changed in a timely manner .... Now quality of actual element is being challenged ,like we have a choice in anouther .... :rolleyes: Unreal .....

Cat on the way before new injectors .....

Jim (MP) any truth to that, GM documentation of timely fuel filter change ?? Didn't help me !!!!!

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

SoCalDMAX
08-13-2003, 23:44
As some of you may recall, I had 1 injector go bad and dump LOTS of fuel into 1 cylinder and actually melted the top of the piston away!

8 new injectors and one new engine later, I'm happy to be back in my truck, but it took 2,000 mi of driving and 4 weeks to get her back!

Based on how quickly it started spewing smoke to destroying the piston and cylinder wall (150 mi) I'm *guessing* the culprit was a tank of bad fuel going through the marginal factory filter. The filter had 1,000 mi on it when this happened.

Regards, Steve

conradv
08-14-2003, 00:10
So Mac, do you think that the '02 & '03 Dmax owners will be in the same boat as you?

Even with documented maintenence, it seems that GM thinks they have no responsiblilty here.

I paid 40 grand for this thing - don't you think that it should be worth 40 grand. Not 40 grand plus $4000 worth of new parts that will wear out in a few years?

???

mackin
08-14-2003, 04:34
conradv

I'm not looking for panic but I have to say yes .....

There has been NO change in filtering capabilities, NO change in injectors 02,03 .....

Your only opportunity to reverse is to add filtering,or should I say the only thing we're capable of doing ... There will still be failures, it's mechanical, mechanical devices fail ....

My dealer is slow in diagnostics on this for me, unfortunately .... Hope they get it, before the piston(s) do ..... I'm 13 hr. from Mich,what if I get half way there ..... ?? :eek:
:(

I'm well in warranty coverage for this repair,it just shouldn't be a problem ....

Mac :(

On edit,

She was diesel clattering pretty good HOT ... Checked balance rate (4) were negative 5's and 6'es,not good ... (1)Was negative 3 (2) were in the negative 2's .... Bright note #8 was balanced at .76,woo we .... Idle was very inconsistant,bit choppy ....Shut it down ,restart they cleaned up a bit ... :confused:

I'm off on Friday on a 800 mile weekend ride round trip,taking bets ... :eek:

[ 08-14-2003, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

ChevyMan
08-14-2003, 11:59
I received my Duramax in November of 2000. Since then I've put 90k miles on it and only changed my fuel filter twice. Both times I checked the filter and it was only lightly darkened half way up the element. We must have good fuel in CA. I haven't had any injector problems... Just fuel rail leaks, fuel pump leaks & other misc leaks. :rolleyes:
I have also run it out of fuel twice since my fuel gauge stopped working at 50k. I sucked every bit of crap out of the bottom of the tank. :D

chipper
08-14-2003, 14:23
ChevyMan,
You are sure LUCKY. I run nothing but truck stop fuel & I have only averaged 15.000 to 18,000 miles between changes & they are 1/2 to 3/4 dirty

hd90rider
08-14-2003, 14:55
I now have 242,000 miles on my 02. Apprx. 70% of it is towing.Had 1 injector at around 215k & 2 more around 235k. I do use an additional filter,at the auxilary tank in the bed of the truck,also use Power Service every month or so. Most of the people I have seen with low mileage injector failure seem to be in the 01 trucks. It is prob. nearing time for me to replace all injectors,but nothing lasts forever. Also the D***e boys in our industry have replaced more pumps & injectors than those of us with the D/A. :rolleyes:

ChevyMan
08-14-2003, 16:46
This is my first diesel, how many miles should I expect out of injectors? Bill (Above) had a injector go at 215k then 2 more at 235k. Is it better (less expensive overall) to replace them all at once or one at a time? I'd imagine that with the high pressure fuel rail that it is something I can't do on my own. Comments...

More Power
08-14-2003, 17:12
1- Diesel related web sites and BB forums are magnets for problem trucks. We hear much less frequently from the majority who experience no problems. This can skew reality.

2- Dealer techs see all the problems, but hardly ever hear boo from those truck owners who don't have problems. This can skew their reality.

3- We know from experience in dealing with 6.5 problems that once a system component becomes suspect (DS4 injection pump), far too many dealer techs jump on that as a first fix, without effectively troubleshooting the system. I'd hazard a guess that at least some of the "bad" injectors we've heard about were replaced because of a flakey FICM, wiring problem or loose injector solenoid terminals.

4- I have not heard a peep from GM about injector problems or a change in fuel filter service cycle. This doesn't mean a thing. I'd likely not be told anyway. I have heard a couple rumors, but nothing to base policy on.

5- We need to get our hands on a few suspect injectors. Only after a close examination by some sharp engineers I know would we be any closer to an answer. You guys need to get me some. I'll report what is discovered - no matter what.

6- Those with suspect injectors need to step up to the plate and tell us whether they are now or ever have used performance products. We can't get a clear and complete picture of what might be happening without this information. Maybe there's a trend, maybe not.

7- Don't try to drum up support for any class-action lawsuit here on this web site. Adversarial relationships hurt all of us in the long run.

8- My 2001 with 33,000 miles has had zero problems. About 5,000 miles of those miles was with a 90hp BD EZ-Amp.

MP

dmaxalliTech
08-14-2003, 17:44
MP:

We need to get our hands on a few suspect injectors. Only after a close examination by some sharp engineers I know would we be any closer to an answer. You guys need to get me some. I'll report what is discovered - no matter what. How many do you want? I have 14 right now.. I just need to cover the $100.00 core and I'll send them....

I must agree, that I do get tainted with all the bad injectors at the dealer level, but I know that there are 3577 registered D-max's in MI and I have only seen 8-10 for injector trouble. If you figure it out, taking into account that I pull alot of business in that is not local, I would say that there maybe 100 trucks with injector trouble in MI-tops.

Those with suspect injectors need to step up to the plate and tell us whether they are now or ever have used performance products. We can't get a clear and complete picture of what might be happening without this information. Maybe there's a trend, maybe not. I agree 100%... Of the injectors I have replaced, I would say that 30% of them were from trucks with performance enhancements. Cant say that is what caused it..but they were there.

glclary
08-14-2003, 19:35
Today, I called my buddy in the local Chevy parts department. He said they installed two injectors in July and two more were going in today. (different trucks) He said both trucks were getting diesel in the crankcase. The one they were working on today would not rev over 1900 rpm.(?) 'Told me not to worry, they keep injectors in stock. :D

The build date on my truck is 11/00. Being near retirement, I am expecting at least 200k from this ride. I don't have much patience with stuff that don't work. You guys are making me paranoid.
;) ;)

NWDmax
08-14-2003, 19:46
glclary:Making you paranoid!
Macs got an 01 too and he's sure he's dumping some fuel.
My mileage is okay but not stellar like some of the members here.
So I'm thinking that the sandblaster effect(is it affect or effect I don't know)has hogged out the injectors and my rough idle etc is the result????
No stinking clue but since we all worry bout stuff might as well be my Duramax yeah!!!

glclary
08-14-2003, 20:05
I guess worrying about the truck is less stressful that worrying about my 401-K.

I had a leaky injection pump and the steering rattle thing fixed and got aggravated at that. We had to drive a loaner ('98 Lumina) to Florida on vacation while we waited on the pump to come in. At 40k miles it really ticks me off knowing that I probably ought to start fooling around adding filters, checking for diesel in the oil, and wondering whether or not me, Mary, Murphy the wonder dog, and our Rv might end up sitting along side the road somewhere.

Do you think it's advisable to join a roadside assistance club? smile.gif

NWDmax
08-14-2003, 20:15
Triple A is on my do it list.
I've already added the Mega filter and the lift pump.I always add FPPF total power and cetane boost to every tank.I check under the hood every day for antifreeze level and air in fuel.
I currently have 23k miles and hope all the preventative maintenance keeps me out of the dealers shop.
when I had my oil leak fixed I drove a little s 10 loaner for 9 days.Now that gives you a real appreciation on just how nice a rig we have the privilege to own.
So as you can see I got it real bad. :D

cmadmaxman
08-15-2003, 06:01
Our 01 was built in May 01, and we have now over 38,000 miles on it. No problems with leaks, diesel in oil, or any rough idle. We have just now installed the Quad tuner. I'm fixin to install the racor 660 like 56nomad. The last fuel filter change,(this week) was nasty! The filter was used up all the way and trash and rust in the bottom of can when I cut it apart. This was with just over 15,000 miles on the filter.

DWB
08-15-2003, 07:17
More Power,
No one is trying to "drum-up" support for anything. I joined the DP to share info and learn what I can about the Duramax, as this is my first diesel. If discussing the fact that in my small community, eight of my friends have had injector failures and it reminds me of the injector failures everyone had on the gas engines in the 90's appears as though I am trying to stir up support for a class action suit - I'm sorry. That is not my purpose! I was just curious if any of the many members with way more knowledge, experience and lines of communication with GM had heard anything promising. Problems, just like solutions need to be discussed and if that involves a manufacturer stepping up to the plate and taking responsibilty for a defective part or design, then so be it...