PDA

View Full Version : Lift Pump / Mega Installed

GM Smitty
08-12-2003, 17:38
Installed the Mega 2 weeks ago. I've been running the Racor 2 micron pre-OEM for about 6 months now, but I can't stop wrenching on this truck, and after seeing some excellent fuel analysis results with the Mega, I really wanted one. If any one is looking for a high quality kit that offers excellent filtration, I suggest this filter (HOLY ****, it's BIG! :eek: )

As soon as I drove the truck, it felt better, smoother, quieter. I was sure it was all in my head. I had a trip of 300 miles with a 10,000# trailer before I installed the Mega, and the identical trip after the install. Second trip got about 1.5 mpg better. I definitely feel this filter is making my truck run better.

Also had a Stanadyne FM100 with lift pump on the bench ready to go in. I was going to wait to see if I had any air issues with the Mega (which I didn't in 1000 miles), then install the lift pump. Well, I couldn't look at the lift pump any more and had to install it. I have some pics up. Used the needle valve method for controlling pressure and also providing a bypass should the lift pump fail. Needle valve is almost all the way open, running at 1 psi (at the Mega out port). If I close the valve all the way, I get 6 psi.

Just want to thank the members here who really know thier stuff and share their information. You fellas who have already installed lift pumps made it much easier for me. I read here everyday and am amazed by the wealth of information provided. Thanks again.

Josh :D :D

Kennedy
08-12-2003, 18:42
Thanks for the support!

Suffice to say, those who are disbelievers, have never held this system in their hands...

dmaxalliTech
08-12-2003, 19:04
changed out a racor 90 pre filter and an oem filter today, stacked them on top of each other after cutting open and MEGA filter was the winner. Size is everything, and I think the big filter helps too :D

Just got an email from a fellow who wants to add one..Highly recommended by yours truly.

a bear
08-12-2003, 20:24
Josh,
I know zackly what you mean. Sometimes I just stare under the hood or roll around looking under there with the creeper. Always wind up with a wrench in my hand. Man I love this truck.
Looks like your setup is similar to Bill's. One of the proven winners by analysis. :D :D
I have the fuel analysis kit from George just waiting on the shelf. Will send in the first of a series at about 5K. The hardest part will be to leave the Mega in for 25K miles. Just a couple days after changing it and I'm already staring at it when I open the hood. :eek:

[ 08-12-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: a bear ]

jbplock
08-13-2003, 04:10
Josh,

Very nice work! :cool: What type of hose did you use? They look great. I especially like the looks of the Parker needle valve you used.. Could you post the P/N? The one I used is OK but it took a while for the pressure to stabilize. Tommy reported the seat swelled on his and I suspect that's what happened on mine as well. It's has since stabilized but installing one like yours would give me another excuse to tinker... :D

GM Smitty
08-13-2003, 04:56
Thanks for the replies fellas. smile.gif

Bill - The hose is 1/2" hydaulic line from Parker. It's VERY tough, almost too hard to bend. It's rated at 3500psi! :eek: I know....way overkill, but I feel better about it hanging under the truck. I'm lucky enough to have a Parker store 2 minutes from my house, and the guy who works there is very helpful.
I can't read the # off the needle valve because of the way it's installed :rolleyes: ...I'll have to check my paperwork when I get to work and get back to you.

Josh :cool:

GM Smitty
08-13-2003, 17:14
Bill - Parker # N-600-S. Grainger carries them for about $34. Grainger # is 1A048.

Josh smile.gif

jbplock
08-13-2003, 19:32
Thanks Josh! smile.gif

AbqGeorge
08-13-2003, 20:36
Good looking job Smitty.

I like it!

BassinRVer
08-15-2003, 11:01
I have had the Mega filter for two months but it is still sitting on the shelf. JK do you have a lift pump yet? Where can a get a left pump? Model number and caompany info please...

Kennedy
08-15-2003, 11:09
I have the pump, and fittings, but no O-rings, and haven't done the electrical.

You COULD wire it direct through an oil psi switch like LeoT did if you like...

CntrlCalDmax
08-15-2003, 14:51
I've got about 12,000 miles on the lift pump connected directly to the oil pressure switch. Will have 15-16K by the end of next week. No problems so far.

Leo

gene smith
08-16-2003, 11:50
CntrlCalDmax---Leo
would like part # for the oil pressure switch please, did you run it thro a relay or 12 volts direct thro a fuse, all help appreciated. thanks in advance Geno 22geno@msn.com

56Nomad
08-17-2003, 21:58
JK wrote:

I have the pump, and fittings, but no O-rings, and haven't done the electrical. John,
I searched your website, but can't find it. Also
what are the O-rings for?

Kennedy
08-18-2003, 08:16
I haven't finalized my "universal" lift pump kit, but basically, what I have is a AC Delco lift pump just like I sent to abear and jbplock, but rather than use those cheezy fuel line repair kits, I have had special one pc fittings made out of stainless steel that screw directly into the pump (oring bump tube) and adapt to 1/2" hose or NPT. This will allow the install of a bypass loop if desired like these guys have done, only with less fittings and joints.

SS396
08-18-2003, 15:07
John, is your "universal" kit going to have the electrical parts as well or just the pump and fittings?