PDA

View Full Version : Home/Self Maint. of Truck Voids Warranty

imported_
05-05-2003, 10:39
This morning I told a Service Writer that I performed my own oil, tranny, front/rear and fuel fluid and filer changes, lube and tire rotation.

The Service Writer replied that my receipts for the fluids and filters were insufficient and that GM would not honor the warranty in the event of future engine/tranny and other problems. He stated that minimally I would need receipts from garages (GM or otherwise), to prove the work was done.

This is not stipulated anywhere in either my owners manuals or extended warranty paperwork.

Has anyone ever heard of denial of warranty service like this?

BTW the truck was brought in at 11,500 mi. for loose steering, rearview mirror readout malfuntion and for a lost spring pad. It makes clanking sounds and loose wheel sounds when hitting bumps. Steering is kind of loose on turns.

hoot
05-05-2003, 11:18
I believe the only time you would have a problem is if you take it in for a failure and the oil or filters look like they were never changed. Then they would need proof.

If you keep everything clean and keep records, you should be fine. At least that's what most of us do.

I think the stealer wants your business.

MNBowTie
05-05-2003, 11:21
HB,

Sorry, to inform you, but you are a victim of a good old fashion scare tactic. As long as you have proof of purchase, I don't see how you could be denied in a warranty issue. This service advisor is blowing smoke. This is nothing more than the dealer trying to pump up the dealer's (stealer's) bottom line. I would find a new dealer and never go back, as well as complaint to GM customer service.

a64pilot
05-05-2003, 11:23
Been doing my own preventative maintenance for over 20 years, use the dealer for unscheduled stuff under warranty only. Occasionally I'll run into one like you have. If they won't listen to logic, I find one that will.
BTW there is no requirement for the dealer to do the regular maintenance, only that it be done right. Some are more likely to argue your case with GM if they have done all of the maint. though.

sdaver
05-05-2003, 11:50
bull$hi7 :D dave

sonofagun
05-05-2003, 13:14
HB,

Ask him to put it in writing since you can't find it in your owners manual. I agree with others, if you can find a better dealer I would do so.

Good luck,

Bob

imported_
05-05-2003, 13:19
Hoot, MN Bowtie, A64pilot, sdaver,

Thanks. I've got a garage full of Delvac 1, Tansynd, plus, a bunch of oil, tranny and fuel filters.

Feel better doing it myself.

chuntag95
05-05-2003, 13:50
I have no idea if it makes any difference, but I have been logging all of my maint. in the GM owners sight. It shows all of the stuff you are supposed to do and when they are due. You can put in details, who did it and self is an option, and how much it costs. You can print out the page to take to the dealer as well. It tracks mileage and time based items as well.

I too feel safer doing it myself after I had a transmission distroyed by a dealer's service. They put the transmission filter in upside down and it toasted all of the electronics. :eek: Luckily, I had an extended warranty that covered it or they would have tried to make me eat it. When I showed them who did the service, they couldn't believe it and accused me of having it done somewhere else. :mad: Last trip to that stealer. I'll take my chances doing it myself as I am sure I won't do any harm by being careless.

dmaxalliTech
05-05-2003, 14:54
go to the parts dept at the dealer and ask to buy an oil filter for your truck. If he sells it to you, raise hell. Obvoiusly he woulndt see it to you if it voided your warr??? Tell the service writer to go back to the prep dept at the dealership. Then I would have him put it in writting and go to the autoparts store and demand they not sell anything to anybody with a vehicle under warrenty!!! Ditto with above.... move on

amccom
05-05-2003, 19:52
Many dealers will do anything to back out of warranty work since the company only pays them what they should receive for parts and labor. They like nonwarranty work since they are better able to screw the owner. That is a fact of life. I forgot the case but vehicle owners in the past have won court cases if they have some legitmate form of proof. When we run into low life dealers like this...it would be nice if you mentioned their names so others can avoid their new car sales room. Many years ago I remember I dealer who is now no longer in the busness tell me right to my face that he only does warranty work because he is forced to by the car company...because he could make more money working on non-warranty business. Sad commentary on free enterprise.

Penngrovian
05-05-2003, 20:26
Please forward to us the name of the dealer in Huntington Beach and a phone number or website.

imported_
05-05-2003, 21:35
I agree with all that this Service Writer is using slimy tactics to scare customers into bring their work in.

dmaxalliTech,

Those are excellent suggestions. I still have to return later this week for a warranty covered install of a special ordered rearview mirror.

Upon completion of this work I will subsequently question this Service Writer more closely about this issue - including asking him about the scenarios that you provided, i.e.; How come the Parts Dept. sells me an oil filter but doesn't warn me that changing it myself would void my warranty?

I'll ask him if I can quote him (the Service Writer) to all the retail parts stores chains that oil change parts customers are incurring liability of voiding their warranties?

Once I get through with this service, I'll feed him and his dealership to the dogs by naming the dealership and the Service Writer's name on this page. Until then I do not weant to put my trreuck at risk of reprisal.

Here's a follow-up on warranty service provided thus far;

They re-greased the steering column; replaced the spring pad (a $. 59 part) and they ordered a new mirror for install later this week.

From the experiences of others shared here, I did not expect them to replace the steering bearing upon making my first complaint/appearance at the dealer for the "steering rattle," problem.

Actual service was average/not too bad. Just don't like the slimy stealer BS.

BTW this dealership's Service Dept. was recommended to me here at this page.

wushaw
05-06-2003, 11:02
It's Horsh!7, I had an engine replaced at 34,000 miles under warranty for a knock and was never asked who, where or how maint. was preformed on the engine

HD-Nate
05-06-2003, 11:28
This is a repeat of an earlier post but thought it was appropriate to post again.

Bottom line is your dealer is being dishonest to you, report them to GM via their customer dispute line in your owners manual.

--------------------------------------------------------

The dealer CAN NOT stop you from changing your Air Filter to a K&N. (Or doing you own maint.)

They CAN NOT void you warranty for doing so.
Read and understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

I am new to the Diesel market. But I am old hat with Corvettes another highly modified car.

I have several modifications to my C5 Corvette. The dealer popped the hood after hearing the aftermarket exhaust and said

2K2AD
05-06-2003, 11:59
DmaxalliTech said:

go to the parts dept at the dealer and ask to buy an oil filter for your truck. If he sells it to you, raise hell. Obvoiusly he woulndt see it to you if it voided your warr??? Tell the service writer to go back to the prep dept at the dealership.

Bravo!

Manfred
05-06-2003, 12:15
HB, I had a similar experience with the HB- GM dealer. I did not buy the truck there, but since this is the closest dealer for me,I wanted one headlight adjusted, which from day 1 on was not properly alligned. I thought this way I would get to know the operation. I drove in and as soon as I mentioned the light issue, I was told that I have voided the warranty, because I installed overload springs.

I'm interested to hear what your outcome will be and the responses you receive. I would be interested to find a good DMAX-Diesel dealer in our area.

I have over 10K miles on my rig, and no problems so far, except for the air issue which showed up with the post-OEM Filter.

Heavy Duty Neil
05-06-2003, 12:21
Isn't there another law that says unless the Dealership furnishes you with FREE maintenance services, that they can't void your warranty for doing your own maintenance?

imported_
05-06-2003, 17:41
I'll blow the whistle as soon as my truck is finally clear of this dealer's service, and possible reprisal. If they are slimy enough to try scare tactics then they are probably slimy enough to contaminate my fuel, or, worse. For example, falsifying the computer service record for my truck, etc. to really give me warranty claim problems.

Husker Fan
05-06-2003, 18:06
What 'owners site' is chuntag95 (Chris) talking about?

dmaxalliTech
05-06-2003, 18:13
HB, whats your VIN? I can tell you if they have tampered with your warrenty..

mackin
05-06-2003, 18:37
Do you guys have any idea what it cost to live in Huntington Beach Kalifornia ??? HB does ... Give the guy at the dealer a break he needs the money !!!! tongue.gif tongue.gif

MAC

Maxter
05-06-2003, 20:25
Well, I had a very bad experience in that domain.

Without going into details, let's just say that I do my own maintenance during the summer and I let Wal-Mart try to remove the oil filter during the winter.

I had a problem with a loose ball join and tie-rod end. This was last April. My last service was done in late January by Wal-Mart.

The invoice and service offer clearly state that the chassis lubrification is included. I even showed the guys where the zerks are.

The dealer I went to refused the repairs stating improper maintenance. I gave them invoices for oil purchase and service done by garages including the last one.

On that particular invoice, My name, vehicule make, model and year and my license plate numbers were writen.

I got the same answer from the dealer, the regional service manager and the customer service representative. They say that since the VIN is not on the invoice, I have no way to prove that it was indeed my vehicule that was getting lubed-up in the garade that day.

I went to a different dealer in a different region and got satisfaction but I even asked clearly to the customer service lady the following questin: "Is that GM official oppinion that anyone making their own maintenance is not covered by the waranty?"

She replied "Since you cannot prove that the oil filters (ACdelco 2232) and oil (Mobil Delvac 1) your providing invoices for were used in your vehicule it is our opinion"

What a bunch of loosers...

JF.

imported_
05-10-2003, 11:43
Below is the dealer at which the Service Writer told me that my warranty would not be honored of I performed my own oil changes and other routine maintenance.

Connell Chevrolet
2828 Harbor Bl
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

www.connellchevy.com
(714) 546-1200

To be fair, this dealer's Service Dept. provided prompt warranty covered service or replacement of the items that I had reported defective or missing.

However, as you all have made clear, the Service Writer is wrong to attempt to scare me into using Chevy Service for routine maintenance by discrediting home/self truck maint. - even upon presentation of parts receipts.

In this case I do not believe that the individual Service Writer is to blame. He quoted this as though it were a matter of policy.

From the response that I've seen here, it appears that the use of this scare tactic is on a dealer-to-dealer basis, not Chevy-wide.

Tsckey
05-10-2003, 19:22
HB,

Send a complaint setting forth objectively and unemotionally exactly what you were told by the dealer service writer to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, with a "cc" to the head of the dealership. Nothing will happen initially, but it will send a strong warning shot across the bow of the dealer and the Bureau will be on alert if they start getting similar complaints from others.

By the way, I've been down your way a couple of times recently visiting friends. Great town.

TC

[ 05-10-2003: Message edited by: Tsckey ]</p>

dmaxalliTech
05-10-2003, 21:12
connellchevy, youve got mail :mad:

RWTD
05-11-2003, 15:53
&gt; go to the parts dept at the dealer and ask to
&gt; buy an oil filter for your truck. If he sells
&gt; it to you, raise hell. Obvoiusly he woulndt
&gt; see it to you if it voided your warr???

EXCELLENT!!!

Although one should never have to do such, I'd have to say your comparison was quite perfect! Thanks for that, it cheered me up reading all this!

OC_DMAX
05-11-2003, 18:48
There was a poster on this forum that worked for Connell Chevrolet. I remember a disussion about that dealership having a good diesel tech. If I had a major problem with my truck (like an injector, pump, etc), I had convinced myself that this was the dealership that I was going to take it too. Yorba Linda is about 17 miles from Costa Mesa. Guess I won't be going there after all!!! It would be interesting if the individual who worked for this dealership would surface and take this thread to the management at Connell Chev. I would like to hear their explanation for the service writer's comments.

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-11-2003, 19:50
Last oil change by the dealer on 4/23/03:

LOF, 11 quarts of 15w40 oil, one GM filter

Reflash PCM for all updates: 15186006, 15166858, 15166862, 15166854, 15170427, 15166876.

Total cost to me $29.68, time spent at dealer, 45 mins.

Warranty claim if any down the road -----&gt;&gt; PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been loyal to my dealer, as a courtesy for spending $40K I only get charged the $19.95 - 5 qt oil price even though I am getting 11 quarts.

For me , why even get the oil drain bucket out
:confused:

GMC ;)

dmaxalliTech
05-11-2003, 20:10
GMC, thats great service. Are you sure your getting 15-40?? Just a thought. Regardless, thats a good service dept. I know can count two of them...

imported_
05-11-2003, 20:38
This is an out-of-town dealer for me too. I went the extra distance to Connell based on the same recommendation that I read here that was made by the Connell employee.

The Service Writer quoted me $60.00 for an oil change and regular oil. I can do it for less using Delvac 1.

Connell Chevy/Nissan is in a hot location. Consequently, it appears they can cherry pick both their new sales and service customers.

For example, they quoted me $6,000 over dealer invioce to special order a Duramax truck from them. Instead, I went up the road to Long Beach and ordered one for $500 over dealer invoice.

Great deal/great experience from beginning-to-end. If they weren't so far away I would have taken the truck back for this service.

In effect, Connell is telling thjeir customers they do not want their warranty service business unless they let Connell do all the routine maintenance, (and screw them out of as much $$$ as possible for routine maintenance).

Jiffy Lube can do it for $30.00, in 1/10 of the time.

bhinrichs
05-11-2003, 21:05
GMC-2002-DMAX,

You may want to check out that oil change. Around here (Colorado) every dealer charges $29 for SUVs and 1/2 ton gas pickups. It is at least $60 for a Duramax oil change.

Bert

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-11-2003, 22:24
Hey Everyone,

I was paying about $58.00 per change before. I have been loyal to the dealer and sent a lot of business to the dealer that just wasn't tire kickers.

I am on a friendly first name basis with all the service writers and the lead mechanic was in scouting with my son and I for 3 years so I have some connections there. Yes I am getting 15w40 diesel oil and I get preffered service appointments on really short notice, like the same day if necessary.

The dealer will even go so far as pick-up and drop-off to me if I am working near bye. I can't complain and they are using the standard pricing for my oil changes that cars get at $19.50 plus thier labor of 7.50.

I am being charged for 5 quarts instead of 11 and the filter is billed as GM #88917036 at a cost to me of $10.00. Labor for the LOF is billed ot at .40 hrs and billed to me for $7.50.

Link To Invoice ----&gt; look in oil change album in link for duramax below.

GMC ;)

Forgot the link first 2 times - OOOOP's :eek:

[ 05-11-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

imported_
05-11-2003, 23:50
I use Delvac 1 and by changing it myself, I can easily beat $60.00/change of oil and filter.

I also like to lube 11 zerks and rotate my tires every oil change interval of 5,000 - every 10,000 miles change my Alli and fuel filter while I'm at it.

Even with the Alli and fuel filter change thrown in, I am still close to about $60.00-$70.00 bucks.

How much would this dealer charge me for oil/filer/lube/tire rotation? How about throwing in an Alli and fuel filter change? I'll bet it would be over $200.00.

Bottom line: I do not like Service Writers using threats of warranty voidance to stick me up/ strong arm me into accepting their rates and service; Particularly when I can do much more for much less.

As stated I do not believe this is a GM-wide practice. And I do not hold the Service Writer personally responsible.

I believe that since this dealer is in a hot location he can sort out/cultivate a customer base from which he will derive maximum service profits.

Incidentally, this is not intended to put-down those who don't mind paying full dealer rates. There may be times when it may be more convenient for me to use the dealer too.

But just don't stick me up and force me to do so with threats of warranty service blocks. It makes me very unhappy.

imported_
05-12-2003, 10:13
According to my oil and filter receipts, my oil and filter costs are as follows;

11 quarts of Delvac 1: $55.95
1 OEM Oil Filter: $8.74
Total oil and filter change: $64.69

With Allison filter ($12.10) change: Total $76.79

With fuel filter ($28.23) change: Total $105.02

Parts and oil from gmpartsdirect.com and AVlube. Since I order in bulk, add about $10.00 per 5,000 mile service interval for parts/oil shipping.

If anyone knows of better prices in S. Calif. please let me know!

mackin
05-12-2003, 18:52
WOW Mister =&gt;Warranty claim if any down the road -----&gt;&gt; PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

What good are them receipts showing 5 quarts ??? Mister GM Brass will tell you your 02 has a 10 quart capacity system with filter ......

OOOPS !!!!! Any good lawyer will smell a loop hole ...... tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Your screwed,vin # attached,your,it's in,on, the system now,see-ya warranty,bye-bye .....

MAC :D :D :D

[ 05-12-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-12-2003, 18:58
MAC,

GM did it so guess what, it's all on them :eek: :eek: . I saw it too, the dealer was aware because before I left I asked the servive writer to come out so we could get a look see at the oil level, guess what, he knew and was waiting for me to ask.

It's the way he wrote the receipt, all of the others have the correct level, it will be corrected in the future.

Hey look at it this way, if the "HOT JUICE" prematurely ages the dmax then the stealer and GM can't say it was improperly maintained. ;)

I'll just have a fellow DP member do a little Photo-Shop magic on the recipt for me :D

Hey,

by B*LLS hurt from you breaking them tongue.gif tongue.gif

GMC