PDA

View Full Version : Surge and Fuel Consumption After Injector Replacement

richp
12-30-2005, 09:51
My '01 K2500 had all injectors replaced at 95,000 miles and immediately I experienced a loss of 1-1.5 MPG in fuel economy and an intermittent surge at idle that the dealer has not been able to correct. The engine also sometimes ticks on the right side, although that is sort of subtle.

Anyone else had either or both of these symptoms after an injector job? Any TSBs or other info I can suggest to my service manager, who is very good in working with me on the few issues I've had?

Thanks for the help

Rich Phillips

More Power
12-30-2005, 14:18
Rich,
What fuel filter was on the truck prior to the injector replacement (original single element or newer dual), and was the fuel filter replaced at the time of service?

Jim

richp
12-30-2005, 20:11
Hi Jim,

The truck was running stock filtration before the injectors went south (only two actually were bad, but they replaced them all). I had changed filters every 10k miles prior to that. They actually put in a second complete set of new injectors trying to solve this.

It's now running the new style filter, and yet is still surging. Ticking is subtle but there, and seems to be from the right bank. The loss in fuel economy is both towing and empty.

Best to you.

Rich

MICKD
12-31-2005, 15:48
My DMax is down 1-2 mpg because of the winter blend fuel, this happens every winter. The surge could be a fuel regulator valve. I beleive thats what it is called. I had mine replaced by the dealer and no more surging. Hopes this helps

richp
01-01-2006, 07:34
Thanks for the response Mick.

I negelected to mention that this problem arose before the winter blend was in circulation. However, the regulator is something I can sure mention to my service guy, who has been pretty good at working with me on this.

Best to you.

Rich

mark45678
01-06-2006, 18:49
I was thinking the fuel pressure regulator also... the 2001 trucks had a few post on them being replaced. How bad is the surge? my 2001 had a slight surge that you could feel a traffic light. I know ther was a ECM update back in 01 for this.

richp
01-07-2006, 04:34
It's variable. Most predictable is a little "thrum" kind of sound every second and a half or so. I've had all the computer re-flashes done.

I guess it's time to talk to him again more assertively about the regulator. This started before it was out of warranty but now I'm at 108K, but I think I'm OK there.

Thanks for the input.

Rich

Nix
01-10-2006, 00:50
I had my FPR replaced at 69K under warranty, injectors replaced at 102K under warranty. Now the surge is back with the associated reduction in mileage (went from 18-19 to consistent 14-14.5) at 114K. GM told me where to stick it. $850 to fix, with only 12K-12 mo. guarantee on part. I would say that this is a defective part, and GM sure knows about it considering the relacement went bad within 40K. GM has successfully converted me to a Furd customer. It is a shame because other than this reoccuring problem it has been a great truck.

Anyone else have any success in dealing with GM on this specific issue?

Sorry to sound so angry, but $850 is a lot of money.

[ 01-10-2006, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Nix ]

Nix
01-10-2006, 22:50
Also IIRC from a previous post when the FPR is replaced the injector pump is supposed to be checked for contamination, and if so it is to be replaced.

If this is true, what does the contamination look like, because I am going to be present to observe every step when I get my FPR replaced this time.

I highly value any help I can get from you all.

Nix
01-11-2006, 21:30
madmatt, anyone, I'm humbly asking for a little help? I'm sorry if I ticked anyone off around here! I just want to make sure my truck gets fixed properly this time. I have to sell one of my favorite (rare) bass guitars to get this fixed, so it really hurts. Please help!