PDA

View Full Version : best option for filtering fuel

dcmsu
05-05-2003, 15:36
I am new to the duramax, but here's my understanding of it...The filter from the dealer is expensive and only filters down to like 10 micron. An alternative would be to get a filter that fits the stock bracket and filters finer (is this even available)? Or to install dual filters, or to install one big filter that filters very fine, 2 micron.

I just bought the truck with 60k on it, and want it to last a long time, what should I do?

Dan

chuntag95
05-05-2003, 15:48
Same answers as your oil post. There is no current replacement for the OEM fuel filter. All are made by Racor and supposed to be to 2 micron. Real world testing does not agree with the 2 micron rating. There are several filter threads to read, some over 6 pages at 40 posts each for you to read and consume.

Pat T
05-05-2003, 16:17
Has there been any definitive, empirical, final data from all the filter tests some of the guys have done? I've seen lots of "Wait till the next results get back" and then could never find the final results. Would like to know what has finally prompted JK and a few other to build their versions of a seconardy fuel filter system, and the hard data that shows before/after results. If I've missed it, I apologize, just point me in the right direction.

Pat T

jbplock
05-05-2003, 16:53
Pat,

Go to JK's website. He posted before and after data for his filter. (www.kennedydiesel.com)
smile.gif

a64pilot
05-06-2003, 07:24
IMHO, if you are going to filter down to 2 microns, don't try to do it all at once. Racor and other manufacturers recommend against it.
So this leaves installing another filter. I believe that post OEM is the ticket. I would like personally to find a 10 micron absolue filter to mount where the OEM is and another 2 micron absolute to mount after it. Unfortunately there is no 10 micron filter that I am aware of that can mount on the stock filter head.
We seem to have at least three options. Racor,Cat and Mega. There are others, but the homework has been done for these three already.
You'll have to decide which is best. I have My opinion, but it is just that, My opinion.

Flyboy
05-06-2003, 15:51
Who had the Stanadyne with built in lift pump setup as a primary filter? I would like to know how well his setup is working. I think that a 10 micron primary and a 2 micron secondary would be the setup for me.

Victory Red
05-06-2003, 16:39
I too am interested in the secondary filter setup. Although the issue of air problems concerns me. Not so much of problem is difficult to correct, but if my wife takes my truck(which she does quite often)and has problems it'd be hard to walk her through what to do with her not being very tall or mechanically inclined.

Anyhow since our trucks use the fuel also as a lubricant and an injector cooler it gets filtered several times over. Yes some fuel gets burned to keep the motors running, but quite a bit of it gets returned to the tank and run through again and again. So this poses a question for me. So if it doesn't get all the particulates on the first run through, what about the second, third, etc...(however many times it gets cycled through the system) before it actually get's burned? I would assume it continues to catch particles each pass through.

Has any ever tried pumping fuel through the OEM filter say two or three times and see what numbers are and whether or not they improve?

Sure I agree the cleaner fuel the better, but isn't it possible we're exaggerating the ineptness on how our filter system is designed?

Just something to think about and please correct me if I'm wrong in my think.

hoot
05-06-2003, 20:21
Some guys have used smaller 2 micron filters. They clogged pretty early on. That means the OEM isn't picking that stuff up.