PDA

View Full Version : Allison or ZF6

GLEN NORMAN
05-05-2003, 23:43
How heavy is the clutch? I can't find one to drive. The big resson is that the wife will be driving it most of the time for the first years and dosen't like the clucth in my current truck.
Is the clutch about same as a 96 6.5TD GMC nv4500? I am going to call around agian later. I did like the way the Allison worked but was a little busy in the city.

I am plaining on getting a fifth wheel in the next year which mirrors work the best?
I wish we could put the d**ge mirrors on a chevy. I know this is like cross dressing but they are nice and big and flip out. Way hasn't gm come with something big and esay to see with.
F**d even has a better set then gm.

Thanks for the help building the right truck.
Glen
:D

wushaw
05-06-2003, 10:53
I know the clutch was heavier than my 98 GMC 350 Light duty 5 sp. My wife drove the 02 2500 DMAX/zf6 I had and had no problem with the clutch...it was the cordination of making it all work correctly was what had her baffled.
If you want the best mirrors GM has to offer then it would be the power extendable which are built by Power vision. If there is an aftermarket unit you like better then get what comes with the truck and swap em out later.

Wally
05-06-2003, 19:03
I've had one of each and if I had it to do over again I would get the Alli. GM kind of threw the ZF in as an afterthought with no real engineering applied to the application. The ZF equipped truck I just sold had flywheel issues and it only had 8500 miles. Without an aftermarket box this engine won't make enough power on the bottom to make the manual a fun drive. Engine wouldn't make good power until 2K and by then you were only 1 second away from having to grab another gear.
There is a reason GM doesn't build very many ZF equipped trucks.

TG
05-06-2003, 19:57
Regarding mirrors...
I got the standard electrically adjustable on my 2003. I tow a travel trailer and wanted extendables. Did a lot of research and finally purchased the Schefenackers (ttt-mirror.com) and they are terrific. They are also electrically adjustable, plus they have the defroster, running lights, and turn signals. They can extend out more than any other mirror I found. The company was great when I had a problem that appeared to be the result of the box being dropped during shipment. They replaced both mirrors with no hassle.

Best of luck,

TG :cool:

GLEN NORMAN
05-06-2003, 22:41
Thanks for all the help
I think we are going with the Allison.
The TTT mirrors look like the key. How do they compare to the Lucerix mirror? I have a set know and find they vibrate when extended.
Can't what to order the truck next week.
Thanks For the help
Glen