PDA

View Full Version : Diablo Predator Question

KayCee
01-02-2006, 19:51
I think the Diablo website strongly recommends installing gauges, larger exhaust, etc. when using their power mod.

If using the 65 hp max with no trailering, is it safe to run this unit? I thought someone of this site stated that it is not a problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks in advance for any info.

I did a search but found very little relating to this specific question.

More Power
01-02-2006, 22:08
It is possible to achieve 1400 degrees EGT with a completely stock truck, in an all-out run uphill with a heavy trailer. We've done this several times during our annual Pull-Off, and with a variety of model year (01-05) trucks.

While the Duramax has quite a high tolerance for 1400+ EGT's, not many people are comfortable recommending others exceed (or risk exceeding) those numbers without gauges.

That said, many don't follow that advice, and get away with it. But, you just never know for how long.

Install a set of gauges. They're cool looking, they'll help you protect the engine, and you'll be glad you did. smile.gif

Jim

Kennedy
01-03-2006, 07:02
The politically correct/safe way is to install gauges. You never know when someone might decide to tow with the truck or an emergency comes up and you need to work it hard.

That said, the V2.02 Predator (thanks to input from Yours Truly) has a nice reduction in EGT from stock due to added boost. I had a hard time (actually impossible) getting my EGT's as high as I could when stock...

h45wt
01-03-2006, 08:17
I have a Predator for my LB7 and had gauges installed. I run the level 2 (+65 hp) all the time including running with the camper on which gives me a 12,400 lb gross weight. Been all over Alaska and parts of Canada and it has never seen 1300F measured pre-turbo. Many of the grades are steep but not necessarily very long and I let it run in OD as much as it can. Of course the outside temps are seldom even 80f but I don't know how much that would affect EGTs.

Knowing what I do I would feel safe without gauges but I'm glad I have them. Had Dmaxallitech install them when I was back in MI fall of 03. Great guy and mechaninc, I just wish he'd move a LOT closer to me.