PDA

View Full Version : Dmax blowing smoke

arrowheadracing
10-31-2004, 04:49
Yesterday I pulled off the highway and was sitting at the intersection, when I looked over and there was a beautiful black Dmax 4x4 ext cab long bed ( and to say he had atleast 35 " tires on it ). My truck but new, better and more power. At the green light , he must have know I was watching and let it rip. Spun the tires hard , got sideways and sounded awesome. On a straight away he got on it again and billowed out a pure smoke bomb of black smoke. Heavy enough I couldnt see the back of his truck. Makes me wish I would have looked around more and bought a new Dmax instead of this 6.5. As it seems the lack of power these motors have is common, and the most popular talk about them is replaced pmds and how many times we have all done it.

So one question out of this, my truck doesnt billow any smoke like his did. How much is an average amount smoke. Should I be blinding the guy behind me or should I just notice it when I check the rear view ?

THanks

Keith Richards
10-31-2004, 08:09
The differnce between your truck and that duramax is also about $20,000,so im quite happy personally to be driving a fairly economical,powerful,(to me)nice truck.Youll get used to it,its easy to have doubts at first after buying a new truck,but the envy will go away when you think about the leftover dollars in your pocket compared to those guys with the duramaxes,powerstrokes and cummins.I like to surprise people with this truck,and how reliable its been.You just have to do preventative maintenance like anything.Good luck with yours.

gwaidman
10-31-2004, 08:15
No worries! Big thick black smoke is an indication of over fueling. The D-max was likely running an aftermarket tuning system. Set on 'high', this will provide the tire smokin action he was showing you, along with the smog cloud. On a stock or lightly modified 6.5, you may see a little haze, which is normal. If your truck is spewing black, the turbo is probably not up to max performace or your air filter is very clogged. For the record, I can spin my wheels at will, which always turns some heads. Not many dually's doing that. I think that you would surprise yourself with what can be done with the 6.5. I find it to be a very capable unit without the 40k price tag. Cheers!